Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

texshred777

Reaction score
Cutting used to be a miserable time for me, but now I just adhere to getting my minimum protein and fat levels, and fill the rest of my calories with whatever I want. Not worrying about whether everything is "clean" or not is awesome.

Not saying I eat protein shakes then junk, btw. I eat a crap ton of veggies(which I enjoy), lean proteins, and a good balance of other things. I actually don't use protein shakes anymore.

Point is, I can stick to a deficit, maintain LBM, and get my nutrients without feeling deprived. Sure, I could eat much larger amounts of food if they're "clean", but chicken breast, eggs, oatmeal, and broccoli gets boring after a time.

Going to an IF type of eating schedule with IIFYM works for me, too. Before it's said, I know meal timing has no affect on metabolism or body composition..I just feel more satiated with two larger meals than five small ones. I'm also never hungry for the first half of a day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Cutting used to be a miserable time for me, but now I just adhere to getting my minimum protein and fat levels, and fill the rest of my calories with whatever I want. Not worrying about whether everything is "clean" or not is awesome.

Not saying I eat protein shakes then junk, btw. I eat a crap ton of veggies(which I enjoy), lean proteins, and a good balance of other things. I actually don't use protein shakes anymore.

Point is, I can stick to a deficit, maintain LBM, and get my nutrients without feeling deprived. Sure, I could eat much larger amounts of food if they're "clean", but chicken breast, eggs, oatmeal, and broccoli gets boring after a time.

Going to an IF type of eating schedule with IIFYM works for me, too. Before it's said, I know meal timing has no affect on metabolism or body composition..I just feel more satiated with two larger meals than five small ones. I'm also never hungry for the first half of a day.

gonna be moving to a similar dieting paradigm very shortly. just because i wont have as much time to eat, so im going to pick my spots and just gorge.

bluediamond

Reaction score
I lost some 50 lbs in the last 12 months (was very obese). It's all about calorie deficit but it's not actually that simple. Increasing my calcium intake from dairy help me broke the plateau and accelerate my weight loss.
Lately I'm into intermittent fasting because I read that it is good for insulin sensitivity. When I get hungry I just drink coffee or green tea with splenda, or get some sugar free chewing gum.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
EDIT: Also, I think I've decided that I'm going to start working towards competitive powerlifting. I've become fascinated with putting up heavy weight, so I think I'm going to get on the 5/3/1 training program by Jim Wendler. It also helps that Ohio is basically the powerlifting mecca, so I'm going to find a gym close and start putting up some heavy weight.

That's the same program I'm running. If you also run the "Boring but Big" accessory work (5 sets, 10 reps @ 50% of your "working" 90% 1RM on the same lift, after the main 5/3/1 work), you can get a nice blend of strength and hypertrophy work. I have a really handy spreadsheet for Wendler 5/3/1 that calculates everything for you for several cycles in to the program. PM me and I can email you a copy if you're interested.

But yeah, you're definitely gonna need to find a gym where the Smith machine isn't the only option for squatting. :lol:

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to drop to about 225 and try to start doing ATG squats. I caught a lot of shit for using the smith machine. :lol: That's unfortunately all I have until my current membership runs out.
Yeah, drop the weight, get your stance a bit wider and seeing as you're using a smith, feet a bit further in front of you as well, that'll allow you to drop down deeper. My gym used to only have a a smith as well so I know the feeling.

Here's dinosaur Vinny G doing smith squats

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Well, I'm getting out of Planet Weakness this weekend and getting to a place with free bars, finally. But I'll definitely do that tonight.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I think I might start Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine for a few weeks. Probably one of the better starting points for a powerlifter, it seems. Wanting to get my squat up to a solid 350 by the end of the year, if not more. Not to mention my bench has been lacking recently. I was able to put up 175 a couple months ago. Now My 5x5 is at 160.

texshred777

Reaction score
Well, I'm getting out of Planet Weakness this weekend and getting to a place with free bars, finally. But I'll definitely do that tonight.

Getting out of Planet Fitness and joining a place with barbells and squat rack was a good move for me. Dumbbells are great, but relying on them for Squats and Deadlift is less than ideal for me. I like using them on occasion for that, but not primarily.

Not to mention, grunting sometimes happens...even if you're not a "lunker" or whateverthefvck.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Definitely. I'll be switching on Saturday, so that will also begin my powerlifting training. I'm going with Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength routine. Hope to hit a 200 bench, 300 squat, and 300 deadlift before my first competition.

Psionic

three headed monkey
Reaction score
Getting out of Planet Fitness and joining a place with barbells and squat rack was a good move for me. Dumbbells are great, but relying on them for Squats and Deadlift is less than ideal for me. I like using them on occasion for that, but not primarily.

Not to mention, grunting sometimes happens...even if you're not a "lunker" or whateverthefvck.

HAHAHA Planet Fitness just good we dont have them over here.

Just listen to what the guy is saying at the end of the vid :D

Oh man this is awesome too:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Going there will show you that they're "judgment free" towards people who want to walk on the treadmill and lift 5 lb dumbbells. Towards guys like me who want to put up heavy weight, it's the complete opposite. Can't wear deep cut sleeveless shirts, can't drink out of a gallon jug, can't make noise. It sucks ass.

Psionic

three headed monkey
Reaction score
Going there will show you that they're "judgment free" towards people who want to walk on the treadmill and lift 5 lb dumbbells. Towards guys like me who want to put up heavy weight, it's the complete opposite. Can't wear deep cut sleeveless shirts, can't drink out of a gallon jug, can't make noise. It sucks ass.

So good you are switching.
Maybe they should think about adding "progress free zone" to their slogans.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Those videos :lol: "Personal Records? Can't do that here". That has to be the best quote of all time for a gym. I thought every week was meant to be a personal record.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Also - regarding smith machine squats. I've never tried them, and I doubt I'd like them. However I'm struggling to see why a lot of people think they would be bad. As far as I'm aware the bar is meant to travel in a straight line above your heels when doing low bar squats? Surely the smith would help reinforce that as long as the start position was right.
The whole standing further forward thing to sit back into it more on the smith makes sense in my head but at the same time I can't see why it would be necessary. May have to try em out of curiosity

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Smith machine squats are just very different, and not as "good" for your overall strength and physique. It takes away most of the need to stabilize the weight (from your core keeping your spine "neutral" and your upper back keeping the bar itself wedged in tight). If you squat properly, the bar should remain mostly over your ankle (it will feel like pressure is on the outer portion of your heel). To do this you have to sit back into the squat (hence why so many elite powerlifters recommend box squats), so there is a slight amount of backwards lateral movement on the bar. It's not much, but it's what makes the Smith machine so awkward and difficult to reach proper depth. And doing Smith machine squats with your feet out in front makes it more like a leg press or hack squat. None of those are bad exercises to do, but they're not really going to build your "real" squat all that much.

tl;dr - There's no substitute for barbell back squats (IMO, of course). :yesway:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Agreed. I've gone with my brother to the gym that I'll be switching to, and the difference in my bench and squat were staggering. I put up 190 on the smith bench, couldn't even hit 175 on a regular barbell. But even doing sets with 135 felt so much better and like I got an actual workout. I haven't even attempted deadlifting on a smith machine, because that just calls for a back injury. I've done it a few times with a barbell, but I'm ready to finally add it to my routine.

texshred777

Reaction score
@psionic
(love the username btw)

Guy in the first video was asking for it going to Planet Fitness and screaming.
They knew exactly what was going to happen, and had nothing to do with Deadlift or setting a PR. Desk guy may have said that, but chances are he just equated those terms with bodybuilding and being "aggressive". Personally, I wouldn't be using a smith machine to check BW DL reps.

Still bullshit, though.

Second was great, I'm curious if PF ever responded....perhaps with an intelligent person.

Bodybuilders and power lifters are too busy with their own shit to be worried about anyone else. PF just caters(panders) to people who project their own self judgements on others. There are exceptions, of course. Personally, I've experienced more condescending attitudes from 20 year olds in designer t shirts doing nothing but curls.

In any case, F that place.

This just makes me realize how much I love my gym. Meathead dungeon of a place. If you're screaming and destroying DL the owner will probably come and high five you.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
with all this talk of squatting, i think my back is almost strong enough to start back squatting again. i've been front squatting recently to strengthen my deep squats up while simultaneously strengthening my stabilizers. while i dont think im going to return to back squatting 100% of the time, i think im going to do supplemental weeks of 3RM and for that i'll use the back squats for that

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
5/2/14:
Squat: 3x5 @ 200
Bench: 3x5 @ 160
Wide-grip Lateral Row: 3x5 @ 160
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure

Wasn't feeling too happy about my workout today. I'm used to going in for an hour, busting my ass really hard on everything, getting a huge pump, and walking out feeling huge. And while this program is pushing the weights I'm lifting, it doesn't get me pumped up as much. Every lift is a challenge. But not pumping.

')