Psionic

three headed monkey
Reaction score
5/2/14:
Squat: 3x5 @ 200
Bench: 3x5 @ 160
Wide-grip Lateral Row: 3x5 @ 160
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure

Wasn't feeling too happy about my workout today. I'm used to going in for an hour, busting my ass really hard on everything, getting a huge pump, and walking out feeling huge. And while this program is pushing the weights I'm lifting, it doesn't get me pumped up as much. Every lift is a challenge. But not pumping.

You may have get used to free weights as i did understand you didnt use free weights till now did you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
5/2/14:
Squat: 3x5 @ 200
Bench: 3x5 @ 160
Wide-grip Lateral Row: 3x5 @ 160
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure

Wasn't feeling too happy about my workout today. I'm used to going in for an hour, busting my ass really hard on everything, getting a huge pump, and walking out feeling huge. And while this program is pushing the weights I'm lifting, it doesn't get me pumped up as much. Every lift is a challenge. But not pumping.

Weird, when I do pump workouts I feel great but then it goes and it's just meh, whereas pushing heavy weight just feels badass, which stays for longer.

Alternatively 5/3/1 big but boring provides the best of both worlds, to an extent

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
You may have get used to free weights as i did understand you didnt use free weights till now did you?

I use free dumbbells and preloaded barbells, which only go up to 75 lbs and 60 lbs respectively. But today I'm switching gyms, thankfully. And I've used some free benches before.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Just try and remember that pump is just lactic acid buildup and doesn't mean much at all for gains!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
5/3/14:
Well, I couldn't resist going today because I didn't feel great about last night. Hit the new gym for the first time, felt really good about my lifts. Finally off of a smith machine, so I expect rapid gains now that I'm on free bars.

Squat: 3x5 @ 245 lbs.
Dead: 3x5 @ 255 lbs. (PR)
Bench: 3x5 @ 165 lbs.

My bench is definitely my weakest lift, but the last time I got on a free bar I was pushing 135 for 5x5, so I'm pretty happy with a 30 lb. gain. Also, I think next time I'm in, I'm going to test my 1RM on the big 3. Hoping for 275 squat, 285 dead, and 175 bench. Felt much better today and actually got a small pump, so I was happy. :flex:

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
5/3/14:
Well, I couldn't resist going today because I didn't feel great about last night. Hit the new gym for the first time, felt really good about my lifts. Finally off of a smith machine, so I expect rapid gains now that I'm on free bars.

Squat: 3x5 @ 245 lbs.
Dead: 3x5 @ 255 lbs. (PR)
Bench: 3x5 @ 165 lbs.

My bench is definitely my weakest lift, but the last time I got on a free bar I was pushing 135 for 5x5, so I'm pretty happy with a 30 lb. gain. Also, I think next time I'm in, I'm going to test my 1RM on the big 3. Hoping for 275 squat, 285 dead, and 175 bench. Felt much better today and actually got a small pump, so I was happy. :flex:
Just saying, lower reps won't always get you a pump... They'll get you hella strong though.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
If you read the last few posts in this thread, you'll see why I said that. :cool:

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Good work man! That's a good 5 rep squat - I find it quite hard to get my 5 rep squat in the region it should be compared to my 1 rep deads and bench.
I'm trying to pull my bench together too. Last two meets I've failed my third attempt too. I'm really hoping I can get 105kg by August. So far 95 is my best but I haven't hit it in a meet. Still getting the hang of the tight lats and trying to incorporate some leg drive.
I got some Adidas Powerlifts ordered that will hopefully arrive this week, as well as a new belt and some knee wraps :D
So glad I have found my sport - it's making me train so much harder to have a goal to work towards. Going to do everything I can to break the 1000lb barrier (455kg) in August at 74kg. I have 1.5kg left to lose to make weight now too - I'm thinking it's going to be pretty hard because I'm quite lean now already. If my maths is right I'll have to hit 9% bodyfat to get under 74kg without losing muscle! I guess 74kg is no class for a 5'9er :lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I really need my own belt. The gym I go to now has them, but they're Velcro. I'd rather be using a prong belt. Also, I've heard lifting shoes are a bit odd at first because of the angle of the sole. I want some, but I just spent $100 on some Nike Frees, so I'm forbidden. :lol: my goal right now is to just break 700 lbs total. I'm at 665 now, so I don't think it'll be too long. Oh, and I just weighed myself and I'm at 156.4! I've never been this heavy. Looks like my 160 lb goal before vacation at the end of June is going to be hit!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
These are about as cheap as you can get for weightlifting shoes;

Wei-Rui | MAXbarbell LLC

They're pretty good quality too. Wei-Rui makes all the Rogue and Pendlay shoes. I have the VX3 and they've held up well so far. I don't think I can ever go back to squating in Chuck's.

Dommak89

Reaction score
I really need my own belt. The gym I go to now has them, but they're Velcro. I'd rather be using a prong belt. Also, I've heard lifting shoes are a bit odd at first because of the angle of the sole. I want some, but I just spent $100 on some Nike Frees, so I'm forbidden. :lol: my goal right now is to just break 700 lbs total. I'm at 665 now, so I don't think it'll be too long. Oh, and I just weighed myself and I'm at 156.4! I've never been this heavy. Looks like my 160 lb goal before vacation at the end of June is going to be hit!

May I ask how tall you are?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Deadlift 1RM PR today. 305 lbs. :flex: Tried going for more, but my form started going to shit about midway through the pull, so I just let it go in fear of ruining my back.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Tonight's workout had me on the very edge of puking. :barf: :lol:

3, 3, 3+ week for Wendler

Today was squats. So, 275 x 3, 315 x 3, and 355 x 3+ (got 8 reps :woot:)

Boring but Big was 225 x 10 for 5 sets on 1 minute rest (the last 2 sets seemed way harder than the 355 :lol:)

Followed that up with some conditioning; 20 box jumps + 20 kettlebell swings with my 24 kg kettlebell for 5 rounds "non-stop*."

*non-stop of course meaning I had to take small breaks to avoid puking up my gains

So good luck to me walking up the stairs at work tomorrow. :lol:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Just did 10x100m sprints instead of my usual 8km run on my rest days, man that kicked my ass.. Felt the same as when I did a 14km run a few months back. Especially after legs/abs yesterday :lol:

soliloquy

Reaction score
STUPID STUPID STUPID ME!!!! i wanna kick my own ass atm.
i was/am in a middle of a move from one city to the other, thus i've been neglecting gym for the last 3 months. i had cut my protein intake drastically as well. i decided to try out the gym again today (wed being my legs day). did a short warm up, went to deadlifts. i knew i'd be much weaker. 3 months ago i was easily doing 305 lbs with great form and 8 reps. today i decided to test the waters and start slow with 225. first and second set i cleared perfectly. third set, third rep i felt my back give with shooting pain down my spine. i had to drop the weights mid motion (mistake 2 i guess). i might have screwed up my back yet again. last time i was out for a year and a half. hopefully this time its not going to take that long. once i can move a bit more, i'll start doing planks and a bit of yoga to support my core.

i hate being this weak, and i hate being this immobile, and in pain. stupid stupid stupid me!

mistake 1, miscalculated how weak i've gotten
mistake 2, bad form (though i was keeping an eye in the mirror, but maybe something wasn't right)
mistake 3, dropping the weights mid movement.

ARG!!!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
That's awful, man. Sorry to hear. Whenever you come back from a hiatus, just always assume you've lost every bit of your gains and start from scratch. Start benching 135 and work your way up, faster or slower depending on how easy/hard it is. Same goes for everything else. Hope you heal up quick!

5/7/14
Quick leg smash day. Have some company coming over tonight, so I didn't have much time.

Squat: 3x5 @ 245
Calf Raises: 3x15 @ 120
Lay-down Ham Curl: 3x10 @ 110
Leg Extension: 3x10 @ 110
Split-stance Squat (machine): 3x5 @ 200

Probably going to take the day off tomorrow for recovery.

')