Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

soliloquy

Reaction score
That's awful, man. Sorry to hear. Whenever you come back from a hiatus, just always assume you've lost every bit of your gains and start from scratch. Start benching 135 and work your way up, faster or slower depending on how easy/hard it is. Same goes for everything else. Hope you heal up quick!

5/7/14
Quick leg smash day. Have some company coming over tonight, so I didn't have much time.

Squat: 3x5 @ 245
Calf Raises: 3x15 @ 120
Lay-down Ham Curl: 3x10 @ 110
Leg Extension: 3x10 @ 110
Split-stance Squat (machine): 3x5 @ 200

Probably going to take the day off tomorrow for recovery.

Haha, chest has always been a weak point on my body. Proportionately speaking, if i could do 305 on deadlifts, and squats about 250+, bicep curls around 35, etc, my chest i could barely do 115. 125 easy on machines, but freeweights, forget it

But yeah, ill try doing some yoga to recover as fast as i can. I hate this

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Good bench weight is considered between 50-60% of your deadlift. If that's your weakest area, I suggest upping your training to twice a week in that area, provided you're only doing it once. Bench is a very slow workout to progress on, but I always try to keep everything in stride with everything else.

Also, if anyone is interested, I will give hefty discounts to anyone on these boards for online training programs. 4-week phases, up to 16 weeks of training. PM me and we can work something out!

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Tonight's workout had me on the very edge of puking. :barf: :lol:

3, 3, 3+ week for Wendler

Today was squats. So, 275 x 3, 315 x 3, and 355 x 3+ (got 8 reps :woot:)

Boring but Big was 225 x 10 for 5 sets on 1 minute rest (the last 2 sets seemed way harder than the 355 :lol:)

Followed that up with some conditioning; 20 box jumps + 20 kettlebell swings with my 24 kg kettlebell for 5 rounds "non-stop*."

i was inspired by your post so i did something like this today for legs.. those last two sets are murder.

good news: i did 3 reps at 315! bad news: im still not happy with my depth... ugh

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
Good bench weight is considered between 50-60% of your deadlift. If that's your weakest area, I suggest upping your training to twice a week in that area, provided you're only doing it once. Bench is a very slow workout to progress on, but I always try to keep everything in stride with everything else.

Also, if anyone is interested, I will give hefty discounts to anyone on these boards for online training programs. 4-week phases, up to 16 weeks of training. PM me and we can work something out!

Are you kidding me? This is the point at which I will finally say something because this is downright irresponsible. Not that I think anyone would actually go for it, but you have no business training anyone- let alone charging someone for it. You've been lifting for how many **months**? and have no credentials. There is a difference between training someone and helping someone.
I see newb/rookie post after newb/rookie post from you and I cannot imagine what is going through your head thinking you are qualified in any capacity to do something like this. I don't care if you're *planning* on going through some sort of certification program for this- why don't you cross that bridge once you actually get there and not count your chickens before they've hatched or whatever proverb you'd prefer to use here.
The kinds of gains somebody makes right out of the gate are not sustainable. Anybody and everybody will make progress just dinking around at the gym without a clue the first few months. I know I did. I didn't even take any supplements for probably the first 6 months and I made progress like crazy. I didn't understand how incredibly important your diet is. Sure yeah, eat clean. Chicken, veggies, etc. blah blah. It means NOTHING to say it or write it. Diet is 80% of the way you look, feel, and perform at the gym, yet only about 2% of what I've seen you talk about. It is far and away the most overlooked aspect by all beginners. Everyone says they know and understand it's important...but do they really? It's the years after that that really count. Where it's a struggle to add 10lbs a year to your bench. You have no reason to be doing 5x5 or any other structured regiment. It's completely unnecessary and better utilized later when gains have STOPPED.

Look at your 5/2 workout- you did ONE set for legs, ONE set for chest, and one/two sets for back. It doesn't even matter what utter non-sense that is because you're probably still making progress from that because you've only recently started. That should tell you everything. Look, congrats on making a lifestyle change and making physical progress. Seriously that's great. But keep it in perspective: the reality is you're still not there and your numbers are still really, really, low. I wouldn't expect you to have more than a novice understanding of training, diet, and supplementation at this point. Nobody should expect more than that. That's where you are and YOU need to be aware of that. Experience and knowledge comes with time. It comes with trial and error. You need to slow your role, player.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I think being midway through my training certification with 100% success on all course materials thus far is enough to put someone on a basic training program. As far as diet, I don't talk about it because I feel like nobody gives a shit if I were to say "oh, I ate 4 eggs, two pieces of wheat toast, a banana, and green tea for breakfast, etc." Plus, I'm not exactly on a clean bulk right now, so I would not suggest anyone eat the shit I've been eating if they want to promote a healthy lifestyle. A 2200 calorie meal of burgers, pizza, fries, and a milkshake is not exactly something to brag about. I understand that experience is the ultimate trainer, but studying for hours upon hours about musculoskeletal development, the central nervous system, strength training, (you get the idea), I have enough of a grasp to get somebody on the right track. Maybe charging is not the best idea for me yet, so I'll go ahead and say that anyone who wants guidance, I can help you out for free. But just because I don't have years and years of gym time does not mean that I don't understand how to develop a plan for someone in the beginning/novice stages of training.

As far as my routine for 5/2, I'm currently reading Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength and that's exactly what it calls for, considering it's a powerlifting routine. There are two base routines that are alternated between on a 3-day or 4-day split. Exercise A: squat, OHP, bent barbell row, any assistance work you want to add. Exercise B: squat, bench, deadlift, assistance work. If there's anyone I trust, it's one of the most prominent figures in the powerlifting community who has been doing this since before I was born.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
not to dog pile on you here bud, but if you want to do this for a living you're gonna run into the problem of people not taking you super seriously as the dude with several years under his/her belt. i have a friend who's working at a YMCA who has your certification, plus a 4 year degree in kinesiology and he has to climb the same way as any other personal trainer.

it takes time, and lots of one-on-one with potential clients while working at a reputable place. My advice would be to train for competition (which also takes time) and use that as a way to advertise.

back on topic!

i get to parallel with my squats even with heavy weight.. i just want to dip lower than that... i have a dream where the backs of my things are touching my calves... yeah

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
question for everyone... how much to guys spread your feet out when squating?

i dont life with shoes on and so the whole "drive the weight into your heels" thing doesnt quite work for me. i guess my real question is: am i losing any benefits by pointing my toes outwards from my knees for better support?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I've always read and always stood at a 35-40 degree angle out with my feet, legs about shoulder-width, if not slightly wider.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

i dont life with shoes on and so the whole "drive the weight into your heels" thing doesnt quite work for me. i guess my real question is: am i losing any benefits by pointing my toes outwards from my knees for better support?

It's really up to the individual and how your "leverages" work. The key is to find a position and stance width that lets you hit depth comfortably and generate torque when you track your knees out. For me, that is just slightly less than around 40 degrees (feet facing forward/parallel being 0 degrees). It's something you should "play around" with and find what works for you.

One extreme example. Completely duck-footed, but it works for him:

Malanichev also turns out pretty far, and he's the best squatter of all-time*.

*not gonna qualify that with arguably or raw-only, because geared/multiply lifting is fvcking retarded and I'm glad it's starting to die out

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

I've always read and always stood at a 35-40 degree angle out with my feet, legs about shoulder-width, if not slightly wider.

Ditto. I find standing wider and turning the feet out makes it possible to push through the heels (in socks - trying my oly shoes for the first time today). Doing a bodyweight squat, as I push my knees outwards I feel the weight roll onto the outsides of my feet and the heels.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^

I recently switched to Oly-shoes too. My advice would be to take your time. I "broke them in" on a deload week. I've actually had to make quite a few changes to my squat to work optimally with the shoes (seating the bar lower, hands about a 1/2" closer together, slightly more narrow stance).

Now that I've adjusted, I won't be going back to Chucks. Definitely feel much stronger/confident in my squats, and I have the new PR's to back up that feeling.

Defi

Reaction score
Olympic shoes are magic for squatting. But nothing beats barefoot for deadlifting. Almost makes me want to get back into lifting...

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
^

I recently switched to Oly-shoes too. My advice would be to take your time. I "broke them in" on a deload week. I've actually had to make quite a few changes to my squat to work optimally with the shoes (seating the bar lower, hands about a 1/2" closer together, slightly more narrow stance).

Now that I've adjusted, I won't be going back to Chucks. Definitely feel much stronger/confident in my squats, and I have the new PR's to back up that feeling.
Speaking of bar height, where do you guys rest the bar on your back? I feel like I carry it pretty high, upper edge of my shoulder blades and upper rear delts, like my marks show:
8FATs.jpg

Looking at internet diagrams though, this still seems to count as a low bar positioning? I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle...
image1.jpg

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I have it somewhere in the middle too. Want to work on getting it lower but it's low enough to not mess with the 'low bar' form.

Tried the oly shoes just now. Incredibly solid. Felt a lot more drive through the heel and outer foot! To test depth, just went with what felt good and had a friend film some reps - none of these are quite to depth but that extra stability is going to translate well when I go a bit deeper for sure. Hitting 3x3 with 135kg on Monday so we'll see how that goes!
Vid: 20140509_190421

I love deadlifting barefoot too, but I picked up these and tried those today too. WEIGHTLIFTING SHOES
Same barefoot feel but more stable (and looks badass!) Pulled 147.5kg for 4 sets of 5 today with ease. Doing sets of 8 Monday..Ugh :ugh:

tranqx

Reaction score
Hey dudes, super glad this thread exists on here. Been lifting for the last two years; prior I was always the skinniest of all my friends (6'4" and 160lbs, can you say string bean?). Breakups are usually a good source of motivation to get ripped up and the like... I've put on a solid 40 pounds since then. I just now started doing meal prep! Trying to lower my body fat - when you're on the cusp of just being below 10% you don't drop any farther unless you're really eating well. What are some of your guys favorite meals to prepare for the week?

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
It's really up to the individual and how your "leverages" work. The key is to find a position and stance width that lets you hit depth comfortably and generate torque when you track your knees out. For me, that is just slightly less than around 40 degrees (feet facing forward/parallel being 0 degrees). It's something you should "play around" with and find what works for you.

One extreme example. Completely duck-footed, but it works for him:

Malanichev also turns out pretty far, and he's the best squatter of all-time*.

*not gonna qualify that with arguably or raw-only, because geared/multiply lifting is fvcking retarded and I'm glad it's starting to die out

thanks for posting these! watching their form and foot position makes me feel more confident knowing im not off track... also not that far off the depth they hit... pretty good confidence builder right there :yesway:

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
3-3-3 week of Wendler today

This is my last set of deads, 390 for 5 reps, no belt or straps

Need to up my conditioning so I can "shed my winter coat." Lookin' pudgy! :lol:

Also blasting 3-6 while wearing my Metal Blade tank. :yesway:

Last edited:

Valennic

Many Fingers
Reaction score
I've been lifting casually for about 6 months, seen impressive gains in myself both aesthetically and strength wise, but time is rarely on my side when it comes to doing what I want in there.

I work out with a buddy, big dude, knows his shit, but he doesn't know cutting as he's never really done it. Current workout goal is to shred the fat away a bit, get a bit tighter, and then slowly pack on some muscle. I don't want to be massive, just tighter, bit bigger. Question for you guys is can a heavier lifting regiment, IE, what we do varies wildly, but the formula stays the same, warmup at 10, then either three or four sets of 6-8, 10-12, or 12-15 depending on the exercise, but can it be used effectively in a cutting stage? Or is it being pretty counterproductive?

Sorry if that seems disjointed. I find myself writing things out so rarely anymore that I find it difficult to arrange my thoughts :lol:

')