Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I now have to go back in the morning and at least hit one set of each correctly. :lol: I see what I need to fix and now I really want to fix it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm wanting honesty, so I don't feel ashamed. I really appreciate the tips.

Yeah we've all been there :lol:.

When I first started the DL my form was not really bad, but I would try to jerk the weight off the ground from an almost relaxed position :noplease:.

Took me a few times getting incredibly stiff lower-back the next day to finally seek a solution, which I found was to pre-tighten enough so that my legs didn't straighten out ahead of time.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Yeah, I still have to go through all of my mental ques every single set. I have reps/sets where the form is off, but those are becoming increasingly infrequent. It takes practice just like anything else. Once you start hitting the right groove, you feel it instantly (and when you're off too).

To Jeff, not sure what your experience level is, but 5x5 Stronglifts is great for novice to intermediate lifters. If you're looking to add on size too, Wendler 5-3-1 with the Boring but Big is a great mix of strength and hypertrophy training (yes, I sound like a broken record talking about Wendler :lol:).

Wendler 5/3/1 Introduction - T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

I've been reading up on the Cube method. It seems like a nice blend of strength and hypertrophy training too. Contemplating making the switch after another cycle or two of Wendler, just to keep things interesting.

Cube Method => http://storage.skynet-solutions.net/muscle-research.com/the_cube_method.pdf

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
5/13/14:
Finally got some video! There's descriptions of how I thought I did on each lift. Feel free to critique further!

Squat - Instagram
Deadlift - Instagram
Bench Press - Instagram

As far as the workout tonight:
Squat: 1x10 @ 135, 1x5 @ 200, 3x5 @ 250
Deadlift: 1x2 @ 245.25, 1x5 @ 265, 1x1 @ 333 (miss. I got too confident haha)
Bench: 1x5 @ 135, 2x5 @ 155, 1x3 @ 165, 1x2 @ 175 (previous PR), 1x1 @ 185 (PR!)
Chain Dips: 1x12, 1x8, 1x3 @ 2-Chainz (70 lbs.)
Incline (45º) Dumbbell Chest Press: 3x8 @ 45 (each arm)
Tricep Rope Pull-down: 3x10 @ 80
Close-grip Low Row: 3x10 @ 120

Was fairly exhausted starting off, so I'm really surprised I got in as much as I did. I did legs a couple of days ago, so I didn't want to do anymore accessory work for them. Felt pretty well done for after I finished.

first off, remove any assisting equipment (belt, straps etc.) you are not lifting nearly enough weight to justify using them. u need to learn you can replicate (for now) the same support by using your diaphragm.

second, technique (obvi). remove more weight if necessary, you're still at a point where gains come quickly (gigity) and you're only setting yourself back 2-3 weeks max. right now muscle memory is necessary to avoid injury.

remember this isn't a race, PRs happen when they happen so long as you're dedicated. patience is key, especially considering your goals of strength competing are still a little ways off

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
To Jeff, not sure what your experience level is, but 5x5 Stronglifts is great for novice to intermediate lifters. If you're looking to add on size too, Wendler 5-3-1 with the Boring but Big is a great mix of strength and hypertrophy training (yes, I sound like a broken record talking about Wendler :lol:).

Wendler 5/3/1 Introduction - T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

I've been reading up on the Cube method. It seems like a nice blend of strength and hypertrophy training too. Contemplating making the switch after another cycle or two of Wendler, just to keep things interesting.

Cube Method => http://storage.skynet-solutions.net/muscle-research.com/the_cube_method.pdf

Thanks for the suggestions man, I'll check them out. I really don't have much experience at all. I just went with stronglifts since that's what my roommate does for strength cuz he's a boxer and rugby player, but I don't think I gained any weight doing that whatsoever (and as far as I know, just starting out, putting on weight should be a breeze). I definitely want to add on size. I'm 5'11" and after getting sick and losing a few lbs, I'm just under 150 lbs and stringy as hell. Ideally, I'd like to put on weight, but stay as lean as I am now.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions man, I'll check them out. I really don't have much experience at all. I just went with stronglifts since that's what my roommate does for strength cuz he's a boxer and rugby player, but I don't think I gained any weight doing that whatsoever (and as far as I know, just starting out, putting on weight should be a breeze). I definitely want to add on size. I'm 5'11" and after getting sick and losing a few lbs, I'm just under 150 lbs and stringy as hell. Ideally, I'd like to put on weight, but stay as lean as I am now.

hmmmm... one thing that helped me was just increasing my calories. i did two protein shakes a day, and after a workout, i put in Now Fitness' carb gainer.. i used to lift for years without the diet to back me up.. suddenly i eat more (cleanish) i shot up 10lbs in like a month and a half.

not saying my experiences are the same for everyone but uncreative hit the nail on the head when he said diet is 80% of the game

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah for sure - I'd say another 50kg needs to come off to learn the feeling confidently - I recommend pause squats. Do some bodyweight squats with your arms out infront and get as low as you can go - You don't need to squat that low - but it's a good learner. Consciously push the knees out too - if you're deep, you'll REALLY feel that shit in your groin.

With the bench, yeah, lat tightness. I'm just learning that now myself.

Deadlifts, try the starting queue that I think I learned from Rippetoe. Walk up to the bar. Stand how wide you want. Get it halfway over your feet. Bend your knees until your shins touch it. Now you have to get your hands to it - bring the hips and ass down and sit right into it. I find that with your shins touching the bar, and your chest up and arms straight, there's no way to get this wrong. You will end up set up in a good deep position. Look at the very first frame of the video before pressing play. If your chest was up, you would not be able to reach the bar, and your hips would have to come down.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score

The routine really has nothing to do with gaining weight. Gaining weight is inevitable if you eat enough calories to go over whatever your body uses daily. Don't train right/hard and that weight will be fat instead of muscle, however. Train right + hard but eat too much over, and you'll put on some fat too along with muscle. Get on a good routine - stronglifts is a great start to build a solid foundation. Track your calories every day while maintaining this level of exercise. Weigh yourself every morning (Expect fluctuations day to day - that's why you weight every day and look at it over time). I recommend starting at 2300 calories yourself. Eat that every day for 2 weeks while following a routine strictly. Lost weight? You're way under maintenance calories. Stayed the same? Perfect. You know your maintenance - add a few hundred to build up. Gained more than 5lbs in 2 weeks? Cut it back a little else you'll build up some fat pretty fast.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Filmed my 3x3 squat set at 135kg for a depth check in my new shoes. Mike - this is the minimum depth you want to aim for in training. None of these reps would have passed in competition, though. Maybe the first rep if one of the side judges was very lenient, but most likely not.

Are my knees meant to come so far forward in these shoes?! Makes sense given the heel elevation but I was surprised to see it given how strict I've been with keeping them back when barefoot.
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/bypdb8gzvnkk9sk/VID-20140512-WA0000.mp4

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I easily go ATG with 135 lbs, so I guess that should be my starting point, then work my way up to a weight I can still confidently use.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
This is the first time I've actually given eating at an excess a proper go, trying to hit 3000 calories a day, watching what I eat, aiming for unsaturated fats, complex carbs and the like. I've been hitting between 150-200g protein, and I'm making excellent improvements, but I have to say, holy shit, the shit & any other wind that may be passed, it's deadly :lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
This is the first time I've actually given eating at an excess a proper go, trying to hit 3000 calories a day, watching what I eat, aiming for unsaturated fats, complex carbs and the like. I've been hitting between 150-200g protein, and I'm making excellent improvements, but I have to say, holy shit, the shit & any other wind that may be passed, it's deadly :lol:

My protein farts can clear a large hall.

Maniacal

Reaction score
The only reason I consume eggs and protein shakes are for the improved power and stench of my farts.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
So, I've decided that after I finish these last 3 weeks of Starting Strength, I'm going to take on 6-8 weeks of Stronglifts 5x5. After completing that, I'm going to attempt Smolov Squat for 13 weeks. I have two buddies who are on it and they say it's a fucking nightmare, but in the best way possible. Bring on the quads.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Damn that Smolov does look like hell haha!

Finished week 3 of my program today. Triples on deadlifts was actually not bad at all - they seem to be getting stronger faster than the program intends. Squats and bench working out just right, still. 4 sets of 8 on squats for the first time ever today - don't think I've ever done more than 3 or 4 x 6 before. Absolute hell when using a weight that ends up exerting you as much as the 1RM!

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
5/17/14:
After some heavy critique on those videos above (which was much needed), I got together with a group of guys from the Animal Pak forums at Colerain Barbell. Great group of guys and I hope to train with them pretty frequently. Extremely welcoming and very helpful when it came to fixing my form and depth. So helpful, in fact, that I hit a legitimate squat PR at 301 lbs.

Squat: 1x8 @ 135, 1x5/1x3 @ 216, 1x3 @ 251, 1x1 @ 301 (PR)
DL ( 2.75" deficit): 1x8 @ bar, 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 225, 2x4 @ 285
Leg Press: 1x15 @ 90, 1x15 @ 180, 3x15 @ 230
Leg Extension: 5x15 @ 75
Ham Curl: 5x15 @ 110

Felt extremely good to lift with these dudes, and I can see that my progress is going to skyrocket if I continue to lift with them. Hopefully I'm confident enough to compete by year's end.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Awesome dude good work! Lifting with experienced lifters is awesome indeed - making some crazy gains with the motivation

Latest posts

')