Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rykov

Person.
Reaction score
I am so close to being able to bench 200 pounds! And "only" after three months of being at the gym (this Sunday will see the end of my third month of training).

Goddamn. I've been hitting the gym 3-4 times a week for some four months now and I struggle to bench 90x10 on a good day...

Anyway, I have a question for all involved: just how effective are protein shakes/supplements/things like Muscle Milk? What's the best way to maximise the benefits of such supplements?

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
Goddamn. I've been hitting the gym 3-4 times a week for some four months now and I struggle to bench 90x10 on a good day...

Anyway, I have a question for all involved: just how effective are protein shakes/supplements/things like Muscle Milk? What's the best way to maximise the benefits of such supplements?

90x10? :scratch:

The Analyst

Reaction score

What are your goals? Muscle Milk is generally used for people who are bulking. It tastes pretty good, but I'm not really a fan of the profile. It's not really a good value either. There are better protein blends to be had. For example; TruNutrition Sciences - Trutein or Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide.

The best way to maximize the benefits is getting your diet in check. All that matters is that you hit your daily macros. If it helps you hit your protein,fat levels, carbs, and calories for the day, then yes! It will work.

Rykov

Person.
Reaction score

Ten reps with ninety pounds. My attempts to use (what I thought was) weight-lifting lingo fall through yet again! :p

What are your goals? Muscle Milk is generally used for people who are bulking. It tastes pretty good, but I'm not really a fan of the profile. It's not really a good value either. There are better protein blends to be had. For example; TruNutrition Sciences - Trutein or Xtreme Formulations Ultra Peptide.

The best way to maximize the benefits is getting your diet in check. All that matters is that you hit your daily macros. If it helps you hit your protein,fat levels, carbs, and calories for the day, then yes! It will work.

I would say I'm trying to bulk up, yes. I have REALLY skinny arms-- at least taking into account that I do work out... like I said, I've been lifting weights three to four times a week for nearly four months now, but I don't feel like it shows. Again, I am a complete amateur and new to weight-lifting/fitness, which I didn't do much of up until maybe eight or so months ago (the months prior to the gym subscription consisted solely of push-ups, crunches, and one twenty five pound dumbbell, and not much progress was made then either :v), so I may be overestimating the results I should be expecting this far in.

I've read frequently that salmon, eggs, and peanut butter, among other things, are the best foods to eat to 'bulk up'. Do you (or anybody else) have some dietary advice-- what to eat, how much of it, etc? I'd be most appreciative of the advice.

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
To the guy above: some people will tell you "eat as much as you can". The truth is, that is one unspecific piece of advice. You need to increase your calorie intake. Do learn the difference between "bad" and "good" fats. If you are as skinny as you say, you might need to get a bit "fat" in order to truly bulk up. I used to be a very skinny guy in my teens but my metabolism changed as soon as I turned 20 so I had the chance to put on some weight.

Try to keep things as natural as possible. You might end up ruining your liver by using lots of supplements. Do eat eggs (wonderful source of energy), avocados (great source of good fats), fish, chicken (don't eat pork, seriously), salmon is also very good, Greek yoghurt before/after your workout is also very effective.

Avoid chips, burgers, hotdogs and all that processed stuff. Avoid white bread, normal pasta and white sugar. Lower your alcohol consumption and for John Petrucci's sake, don't drink coke. Some people think that drinking either coke or red bull before a workout will make them achieve more. Bollocks.

Regarding strength:
One of the mistakes beginners make is that they think isolated exercises (for example triceps extensions and curls) will increase their strength in no time. The best way to becoem stronger is by either doing squats, deadlifts, bench presses, pull ups and shoulder presses. Don't ignore the importance of your core. This is an area that often gets neglected, even by advanced gym-goers.

I have noticed a dramatical increase in my strength in the last months. This is a byproduct of using more weight while doing less reps and eating fish everyday along with oats and almonds. I have also come to realize that both triceps extensions and the shoulder press do wonders for your bench press.

The Analyst

Reaction score
:agreed: Very good advise all around, m3l-mrq3z! Also, using more weight while doing less reps like A 5X5 routine is a great way to build strength fast. Once you can do about 8 reps, you should increase the weight.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
@M3l, Yeah that's including the bar. I could probably get an extra 10-20(?)kgs on there if it was reps of 5, although I've never tried doing short rep sets.

Rykov

Person.
Reaction score
To the guy above: some people will tell you "eat as much as you can". The truth is, that is one unspecific piece of advice. You need to increase your calorie intake. Do learn the difference between "bad" and "good" fats. If you are as skinny as you say, you might need to get a bit "fat" in order to truly bulk up. I used to be a very skinny guy in my teens but my metabolism changed as soon as I turned 20 so I had the chance to put on some weight.

Try to keep things as natural as possible. You might end up ruining your liver by using lots of supplements. Do eat eggs (wonderful source of energy), avocados (great source of good fats), fish, chicken (don't eat pork, seriously), salmon is also very good, Greek yoghurt before/after your workout is also very effective.

Avoid chips, burgers, hotdogs and all that processed stuff. Avoid white bread, normal pasta and white sugar. Lower your alcohol consumption and for John Petrucci's sake, don't drink coke. Some people think that drinking either coke or red bull before a workout will make them achieve more. Bollocks.

Metabolism may well actually be my problem, as a teenager not far from the twenty year mark. At this age, for a guy trying to get bigger, it really is a curse, but not one it seems I can do much about. Thanks for the dietary tips.

Chickenhawk

A Bad Idea
Contributor
Reaction score
5x5 is the way to go for damn near anything (in my opinion).

Damn near everything I do is 5x5, with the occasional 3x12 thrown in.

Usually when I'm doing 5x5 the first one is a drop set, then regular. Hell, even my 'super hypertrophy' 12 rep sets start with a drop set to get the blood pumping. Gotta look good for myself in the mirror to offset the horrible fucking faces I make

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
@M3l, Yeah that's including the bar. I could probably get an extra 10-20(?)kgs on there if it was reps of 5, although I've never tried doing short rep sets.

Do you not have a training partner? Either find one or ask someone to spot you. Unless you push yourself to lift heavier, you are not going to make improvements anytime soon.

Metabolism may well actually be my problem, as a teenager not far from the twenty year mark. At this age, for a guy trying to get bigger, it really is a curse, but not one it seems I can do much about. Thanks for the dietary tips.

Are you an ectomorph? Even if you were, you could still gain mass. You just need to eat the right things.

I forgot to mention bananas. Throw in some banana slices into the bender so that your protein shake has some potasium. It increases energy and will let you make the most of your workout.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I'm not actually aiming to lift heavier, I thought you were doing like 3x10 sets or something which surprised me, I seem only hear about 5x5s from people who have been lifting for more than 3 months :lol:

m3l-mrq3z

Banned
Reaction score
3x10 is what you do as a beginner or as someone who is interested in muscle growth/definition. Once you feel confident, you start using more weight.

Did I already point that soja products ought to be avoided less you want your testosterone levels to decrease?

Murmel

Reaction score
Finally starting to get back into my routine after having been unable to hit the gym properly the first quarter of 2013. Now to bulk like mad.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
3x10 is what you do as a beginner or as someone who is interested in muscle growth/definition. Once you feel confident, you start using more weight.

Did I already point that soja products ought to be avoided less you want your testosterone levels to decrease?
You didn't but the soy discussion is endless and terribly boring so please don't.

soliloquy

Reaction score
starting a new job on monday. that will throw off my work out routine a bit. being the one who prefers working out alone, where i have one bench from the begining to the end of my workout without ANYONE taking it, same goes for the weights, i generally prefer working out in the morning. but now that i'll be working mornings...i'll have to share my gym with everyone else...:(

sometimes i hate being anti-social in gyms! mostly i love it...but now i'm gonna hate it

')