Anyone here bench, lift weights, etc?

SomeGuy97

Reaction score
The only thing that really matters is that you get up off your ass and go lift some heavy ass weights. Just because someone disagrees with how you do it doesn't mean shit. Everybody has their own way or routine of getting strong or big. And we all keep learning more as we go along as well. Just do what you do and keep that form correct.

lol, said no one ever who produced worthwhile results.

"Just go pick up something heavy...as many or as few times as you want. That's all!" Really? :rolleyes:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Going for 205 on bench tonight. My last max was 185, and I've been hitting it for 2-3 reps the last few times I've benched, so I feel like I can get one solid rep out. Also, I'm really unhappy with my gains, so I'm going to tweak my routine and especially my diet and kick everything into overdrive.

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
I actually think I am going to try a new workout for a while and see how it goes. I do think I've been doing too much per day. My new workout might look something like this:

Monday: Chest, triceps
Tuesday: Back, biceps
Wednesday: Legs, abs
Thursday: Shoulders, traps
Friday: Abs
Sat/Sun: Rest

That way I can target just one or two spots each day and do more, and have more ample recovery periods. I'm going to try to hit abs two days a week simply because I really want my abs to come in ;) Any tips or suggestions?
Looks better IMO though if you can train all weekdays, I'd switch friday and wednesday. Or really, save wednesday for rest/cario/whatever and scrap the just abs day. Throw in abs with another training day, shouldn't take too long anyway and speaking from experience, having a day off in a 4-day split is nice.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
LEG-DAY.jpg

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
^
Nah brah, it's bench day...................... brah.

How do you know when your pre-workout has kicked in? When you get an entire extra wrap out of your wrist wraps. :lol: Especially when they're these bad boys =>
metal%20wrist500.jpg

They're basically casts.

Last edited:

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
What kind of technique(s) do you guys use to up the amount you're lifting?

I used to primarily be a runner with occasional lifting maybe 2 or 3 times a week. In October, I screwed up my knee from running too much and not giving myself enough time to recover. I can't run like I used to, at least not yet, so I've been focusing on lifting.

I may be doing it all wrong but what I've been doing is starting at a solid weight I know I can comfortably bench. Warm up with 2 sets of 10-15, up the weight, 2 sets of 6-8, add more weight, 2 sets of 3-6 or whatever I can handle. Break for a few minutes and then repeat that same process.

Do you guys up weight even if you can only do one or two reps or do you work toward a weight until you can hit at least 5+ reps at that weight? Excuse any nonsense that doesn't make sense or isn't the right terminology. Remember, I was a runner up until recently.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
What kind of technique(s) do you guys use to up the amount you're lifting?

I used to primarily be a runner with occasional lifting maybe 2 or 3 times a week. In October, I screwed up my knee from running too much and not giving myself enough time to recover. I can't run like I used to, at least not yet, so I've been focusing on lifting.

I may be doing it all wrong but what I've been doing is starting at a solid weight I know I can comfortably bench. Warm up with 2 sets of 10-15, up the weight, 2 sets of 6-8, add more weight, 2 sets of 3-6 or whatever I can handle. Break for a few minutes and then repeat that same process.

Do you guys up weight even if you can only do one or two reps or do you work toward a weight until you can hit at least 5+ reps at that weight? Excuse any nonsense that doesn't make sense or isn't the right terminology. Remember, I was a runner up until recently.

This is the program I'm running. I'm admittedly biased towards it, but that's because I'm getting really good results (especially my deadlift, I'm already about 60 lbs stronger than the schedule calls for on deads).

T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength

But yeah, percentages and sets/reps are already there for you. Very easy to follow, designed for small/slow but consistent strength increases.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
:woot: Hit a triple @ 300 on bench tonight (full pause at bottom) and my shoulders are pain free! All that technique plus mobility work is paying off. :yesway:

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
Looks better IMO though if you can train all weekdays, I'd switch friday and wednesday. Or really, save wednesday for rest/cario/whatever and scrap the just abs day. Throw in abs with another training day, shouldn't take too long anyway and speaking from experience, having a day off in a 4-day split is nice.

I actually took wednesday off and will probably continue to do that. So my current week looks like:

M: Chest, tris
T: Back, bis
W: Rest
TH: Legs
F: Shoulders,traps, abs

Abs really aren't hard to do on a day with another body part so I think I'll stick with either this, or switch Thursday and Friday around.

s2k9k

Reaction score
^
Nah brah, it's bench day...................... brah.

How do you know when your pre-workout has kicked in? When you get an entire extra wrap out of your wrist wraps. :lol: Especially when they're these bad boys =>
metal%20wrist500.jpg

They're basically casts.

LOVE BroScience LOL

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Made excellent gains/fat loss this past week. Only had one day off since Sunday (Thurs) and gonna try keep it up when I'm back to work. Would be a shame to lose this momentum! Had to split some body parts over two sessions due to reasonable waiting times and availability of equipment, I find it helps me to be dynamic and not stress if I can't work exactly what I want to work on any specific session. If it's quiet in there (usually Thurs-Sun( I'll go nuts though! Aiming for 85kg (187lb) bench by end of April.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Made excellent gains/fat loss this past week. Only had one day off since Sunday (Thurs) and gonna try keep it up when I'm back to work. Would be a shame to lose this momentum! Had to split some body parts over two sessions due to reasonable waiting times and availability of equipment, I find it helps me to be dynamic and not stress if I can't work exactly what I want to work on any specific session. If it's quiet in there (usually Thurs-Sun( I'll go nuts though! Aiming for 85kg (187lb) bench by end of April.

Amen to the training flexibility statement.
One of my lifting buddies from the late 90's used to get so jammed up inside when we'd get to the gym and his favorite bench was in use.
He'd damned near get frustrated to tears when it was squat day and some all-talk goons would have the rack :lol:.
I literally had to hold him back one time when one of the goons got cocky at him when he demanded they clean up area and rack the plates when done.
This guy could bang out 5-7 deadlift reps with 495!!!, and he was the scrapper type as well.
He'd have probably destroyed all three of the goons if it came down to it.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Amen to the training flexibility statement.
One of my lifting buddies from the late 90's used to get so jammed up inside when we'd get to the gym and his favorite bench was in use.
He'd damned near get frustrated to tears when it was squat day and some all-talk goons would have the rack :lol:.
I literally had to hold him back one time when one of the goons got cocky at him when he demanded they clean up area and rack the plates when done.
This guy could bang out 5-7 deadlift reps with 495!!!, and he was the scrapper type as well.
He'd have probably destroyed all three of the goons if it came down to it.

Must be a gym thing, a few months ago I told a guy to pick up his shit and he got heated and said "You wanna take this outside?" I obliged, and gave him the ass whipping his parents should have given him long ago. I'm amazed at how many people start talking shit and forget they can't fight.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Do you guys up weight even if you can only do one or two reps or do you work toward a weight until you can hit at least 5+ reps at that weight? QUOTE]

Whenever you hit your goal rep range. That could be 1 or it could be 12 depending what you're training for :) Just make sure the form is good.
So I might train 3x 4-6 @ 50kg one week. As long as I get 3 sets of 4, I wont put the weight down next workout. As soon as I get 3x 6, I will put it up next workout (providing the form was good, if it was a bit slack towards the end I'll do another workout on the same weight).

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Must be a gym thing, a few months ago I told a guy to pick up his shit and he got heated and said "You wanna take this outside?" I obliged, and gave him the ass whipping his parents should have given him long ago. I'm amazed at how many people start talking shit and forget they can't fight.

Hell yeah :bowdown:!!!
We need at least one or two like you at every good gym.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Hell yeah :bowdown:!!!
We need at least one or two like you at every good gym.

Best part is I'm 5'8" and about 165, so I get underestimated constantly. I'm also a 1st dan in Shorin Ryu, a green belt in Judo, and a no-gi Jiu Jitsu practitioner. Threatening people you don't know is an idiotic move. :noway:

And that's all for "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong"...

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Best part is I'm 5'8" and about 165, so I get underestimated constantly. I'm also a 1st dan in Shorin Ryu, a green belt in Judo, and a no-gi Jiu Jitsu practitioner. Threatening people you don't know is an idiotic move. :noway:

And that's all for "When Keepin' It Real Goes Wrong"...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than the gym is,,,,,,,,,,,,The Bar :lol:.

99% of those toughguys don't do any training at all, in anything. It's amazing how far out they hold their arms out, as if they're holding softballs in their armpits.
They strain their backs puffing their chests out. :lol:

')