Anyone Here Have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery?

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty much getting all of the basic symptoms of carpal tunnel, (DAMN THE DAY JOB!) which mainly consists of, (via Carpal tunnel syndrome: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com)

-Tingling or numbness in your fingers or hand, especially your thumb and index, middle or ring fingers, but not your little finger. This sensation often occurs while holding a steering wheel, phone or newspaper or upon awakening. Many people "shake out" their hands to try to relieve their symptoms. As the disorder progresses, the numb feeling may become constant.

-Pain radiating or extending from your wrist up your arm to your shoulder or down into your palm or fingers, especially after forceful or repetitive use. This usually occurs on the palm side of your forearm.

- A sense of weakness in your hands and a tendency to drop objects.

Has anyone here ever had carpal tunnel and/or CTS surgery? If so, how logn did it take you to regain playing ability? Did it effect your playing in any way?

:wub: thanks guys!

Angel

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think you're "hitting the snake" too much. :lol:

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
I had this along with tendonitis.I used to play with the guitar on my right leg,so my arm,wrist always feels numb and in pain,then I switch guitar to a V,it went away,then I sold the V, it came back,I practiced playing on my left leg, it goes away again,but the tendonitis stays...... Sucks!!!
No surgeries though...

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
that really sucks man.. I always practice proper technique and always practice in classical position. I hear you can develop some wonky back and shoulder pains from slouching etc. When I'm on stage it's a different ball game though LOL

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I developed CTS nine years ago. I solved the problem by immediately ceasing guitar activity and doing only "hunt and peck" typing until it got better (about a month or so), and then going to increasingly thin strings (.008s now) and ultra low action. Back then, I had a weekend data entry job in addition to my full-time work that also involved computer use, and that probably contributed to my problem, but I think the guitar playing was the dominant factor.

Even with good playing position and practice habits, some people are more prone to CTS if they practice incessantly. Other guys, like Al DiMeola, can shred like motherfuckers for decade after decade and never have a problem.

As for the surgery, I'd be wary of it. Doctors may try to push it on you, but there's both a likelihood that it won't solve the problem and a strong possibility that you'll never recover full strength in that arm if you get the surgery. It's necessary for some people, but it would be a last resort for me.

I can't recall the book title now, but there was a book of stretching exercises specifically designed for CTS sufferers that really helped me to both recover and avoid a recurrence. This was enough years ago that there are probably more and better books out there now. Definitely do some research on it.

AngelVivaldi

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow man, thanks a bunch- exactly what I needed to hear. I bought some wrist guards that are geared towards those who have these issues. Hopefully they'll help solve th issue as well.

Surgery is assdog.. I had a knee surgery a little over a year ago and my knee's never been the same. Thats def a last resort for me no doubt! Thanks again +1

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I suffer. A lot. Few years ago i'd spend hours a day tapping keys to a rhythm game online. (at least ~300,000 key taps a day all of which were extremely fast) What started as a light tingle started developing into an extremely horrible pain in my wrists but being ignorant I pushed on and eventually the pain spread from my fingers as far as my elbow. At times my wrists and fingers would just freeze up. So I saw a doctor who suggested surgery but given my financial situation opted to have me wear wrist and arm braces for two months.

I'd say after two months of sitting in braces not being able to move my wrists i've learnt my lesson. My advice to you is to take a break and start back doing whatever it is you were doing in moderation. I've lost countless hours of sleep over pains that shoot up my arms that either wake me up or stop me from falling asleep.

Bobo

Reaction score
I suffer. A lot. Few years ago i'd spend hours a day tapping keys to a rhythm game online. (at least ~300,000 key taps a day all of which were extremely fast) What started as a light tingle started developing into an extremely horrible pain in my wrists but being ignorant I pushed on and eventually the pain spread from my fingers as far as my elbow. At times my wrists and fingers would just freeze up. So I saw a doctor who suggested surgery but given my financial situation opted to have me wear wrist and arm braces for two months.

I'd say after two months of sitting in braces not being able to move my wrists i've learnt my lesson. My advice to you is to take a break and start back doing whatever it is you were doing in moderation. I've lost countless hours of sleep over pains that shoot up my arms that either wake me up or stop me from falling asleep.

Almost the same story here. I had to change my job. I play guitar much less. Stopped lifting weights. Basically changed my life a lot to help the problem, but it has never gone away completely. Moderation with anything using my hands is the key for me w/o surgery. I'd rather go that route than surgery....it all just sucks :wallbash:

toolsound

Reaction score
A few months ago I started waking up with numbness/tingling in my pinky/ring fingers, so I went to see a neurologist. He did some tests on my arms and confirmed that I have a compressed nerve in my left arm. My right arm also shows beginning stages of CTS.

The compressed nerve was mainly caused by wresting my elbow on hard surfaces all day. Working on a computer, playing guitar, and awkward sleeping positions have all contributed to this as well I'm sure. I now try to stay off my elbows while working or sleeping. I also try to pay attention to my posture when playing guitar, or messing around on the computer. The symptoms have pretty much disappeared as a result.

liquid sky

Reaction score
I've been diagnosed with it in both hands. Like a few others have mentioned, I had to take a break from playing to help heal up. Same with weight lifting.
The single biggest help for me was wearing the wrist splints while sleeping. Now, I don't have to worry about what angle my arms are laying at while sleeping and then waking up with no feeling in my hands, and I'm able to play guitar again, at least for a little bit.
I'm also lightening up my strings and lowering my action, you might want to check into doing that as well.
The doctor has told me I need surgery because some signals aren't getting through to my thumbs because of this, so if and when I have it, I'll be sure to post my experience/results for you guys.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow man, thanks a bunch- exactly what I needed to hear. I bought some wrist guards that are geared towards those who have these issues. Hopefully they'll help solve th issue as well.

The wrist guards can help, especially if you cannot escape doing some amount of touch typing. But ultimately, the only way to heal is to rest the tendons in your arm as much as possible. They are swollen from misuse/overuse, and the swelling will not go down without rest. It took about a month for me, but it might be different for you.

I didn't reintroduce a full regimen back into my playing for a few months after I began to play. But a few things, including using ultra thin strings and low action, and never playing unamplified, have kept me in good shape for a long time now. I can play shred stuff for hours on end with .008s and have only some soreness in my upper-arm and shoulder joints to show for it. That's just because I'm in my 40s and play a Les Paul--not CTS related, but more of a back issue. Getting old sucks. :)

No pain or numbness in my arms, though.

')