Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out there (in the jazz section to minimize the chances of my being decapitated:lol:) but does anyone here listen to metal on a subordinated level compared to other genres?

Don't get me wrong, I know this is sevenstring.org (and as such heavier genres will likely prevail), but sometimes I feel like a minority in that metal is not my primary genre.

I'm mostly a jazz, classical and fusion guy, but beyond that I like some progressive rock. I enjoy Periphery, AAL and Sky Eats Airplane just like everyone else here, but I feel (especially with SEA and other bands that heavily utilize screaming and the like) that there's a point where I find it abrasive and not pleasing to listen to.

Don't want to open up a can of worms here, just want to see if there's someone here who would rather turn on "Kind Of Blue" over "Fistful Of Metal" or the like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sure, I'm like that. I used to be an all-out metal head but i grew out of it as I started studying music, where I had to play other genres that I didn't necessarily listen to and realizing that my comfort zone in metal was pretty tiny in the grand scheme of what can actually be done on guitar and generally in music.

I find that most metal bands who have groove and catchiness also have very simple harmony structure and chord progressions, and those bands who do put some effort into creative harmony can also be overly technical and not strike the nerve in me that makes me tap my foot.

On that note though I love it when songs/bands have some kind of rock edge in it, and isn't TOO slick. But these days I'd rather listen to something that's overly slick than something overly brutal.

In short, Toto is where it's at!

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
Toto is the best!

Oh and John, on an off topic note of sorts, but All I Need by Rhinestone has been playing through my stereo a lot lately, haha. Great song bro.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I love playing metal but sometimes the screamo and blastbeats get far too much for me. I think Periphery is the heaviest band I listen to which doesn't say much for me on this forum :D

To be honest, I'd to listen to the album Grace by Jeff Buckley 9 times out of 10 if given the choice with a metal band. Also, I like bands like Bright Eyes, Frightened Rabbit and The Twilight Sad although I quite enjoy The Mars Volta as well. I also started out playing funk on guitar which kind of says it all.

I enjoy a bit of jazz every now and then too and I love classical music. I think studying music helps with that appreciation of other genres too. So yeah, it's probably physically impossible for me to predominantly listen to metal.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
I play 7s and baritones and i usually write mellow ambient works, i just like the lower register and the warmth and expressiveness that come along with it.

i love me some post-rock. MONO, Eluvium, ENVY, Jesu etc...

im not gonna lie i quite dislike the :djenty: stuff, i find it to be monotonous and a bit contrived, but i bought the Periphery stuff to support a budding and talented artist, same with AAL.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
zztop got me into guitar and music in general, but i am older than most of you :) i listen to alot of tomahawk,portishead,peeping tom, lovage,whale, beethoven, mozart, etc.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I'm all over the place. Metal has never truly been a 'focus' for me. My listening habits and general relationship with music are very visceral. I can never explain *why* I like something; I just do. This sometimes drives me crazy, because with all the new software out there like 'Genius' on iTunes or Pandora or Last.FM, I should be able to find stuff I like more easily, but it only gets harder. Every time I tell one of those programs "I like this", they come back and say "Then you should also like this", but I always hate whatever they suggest and can never figure out what the connection is between what I like and what they're suggesting..

Anyway, here's an estimated breakdown of my general listening habits:

• Rock - 18%
  • Metal - 14%
  • Drum N Bass - 18%
  • General Electronic - 17%
  • Classical - 10%
  • Super-old-school-jazz (like 30s-50s) - 10%
  • Other (anything from world music to pop to old school country to ambient to spoken word, etc) - 13%

Honestly, I've never even heard half of the bands people around here worship. Not so much as a single riff.

Daken1134

Reaction score
i listen to alot of AAL but besides that, alot of aphex twin, john pizzarelli, george benson, holdsworth, pat metheny, christophe godin, dave wise (donkey kong soundtracks) ALOT of video game music. i was big in metal when i was 16, still a place in my heart for it but im alot more mellow alot bigger into whole compositions and stuff now

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm all over the place as well.
I actually don't listen to a lot of "Newer" metal because I can't stand the vocals.
Screaming andthrowing up into the mic are not my idea of vocals, so besides B\bands like nevermore and Dream Theater, most of the time I'm listening to /jamming to instrumental shred/fusion. I'm on a big Tony MacAlpine thing right now (Learning songs
from Chromaticity) but usually it's stuff like Greg Howe, Richie Kotzen, Vinnie Moore,
Jason Becker, Brett Garsed.
There are not really a lot of newer metal bands that I actually like.

Last edited:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I don't play or listen to metal predominantly... At least I don't think so. Some ppl will call it metal because I'll play some passages quickly and I use distortion (oh goodness no!!! :rolleyes:) but I think I listen to lots of things in pretty much even amounts.

I like blues, jazz, bluegrass, reggae, funk, R&B, hip hop, electronic music (I refuse to get into a semantics war w/ ppl who like to subdivide this category to hell), and whatever else sounds good to my ear.

The more I listen to the more ideas I come up w/ for my own music (which I for whatever reason never really get around to fully writing/recording... :()

flo

Reaction score
well, I predominantly listen to... music!
I don't pay too much attention on the genre, just listen to what I like. just now this is on my MP3:
Muse
Dream Theater
Christian Scott
Esbjörn svensson trio
Mike Stern
The Blues Brothers [Original Soundtrack]
Sting
Mats-Morgan Band
Animals as Leaders
Matthias IA Eklunth
Shakira
Queen - A Night At The Opera [1975]
+Own stuff

So that's two metal bands, one fusion band, two pop artists, some rock, a lot of jazz and some blues and reaggy goin on at the moment:)

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
^ that's good shit. :agreed:

even skakira makes me happy... nevermind that it's in a non musical way... :lol:

Keytarist

Reaction score
As some users said before, my interest in music started listening to metal, but when I began studying music theory, it expanded to jazz, classical and contemporary classical music, assigning less time listening to metal. I still love it, but it isn't the main thing I listen to.
In the last years, I have been listening to:

Classical: Alban Berg, Arnold Schoenberg, Sergei Prokofiev, Dimitri Shostakovich, Olivier Messiaen, Gustav Mahler, Johannes Brahms, Krzysztof Penderecki, Maurice Ravel, Gustav Holst, Claude Debussy, Ottorino Respighi and others.

Jazz and fusion: Tribal Tech, Allan Holdsworth, Eric Dolphy, Miles Davis, Yellow Jackets, Sheryl Bailey, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, Michael Brecker, John Coltrane, Art Blakey, McCoy Tyner, Pat Metheny and so on.

Metal (I prefer heavy bands, non nu metal): Suffocation, Pantera, Nile, Blotted Science, Gorguts, Demilich and Death.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
^ that's good shit. :agreed:

even skakira makes me happy... nevermind that it's in a non musical way... :lol:

Beyonce is where it's at for me. I wanted to do a comedy cover of one of her songs so I downloaded an acapella. The cover never materialised but the acapella just showed me how incredible her voice is!

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Beyonce is where it's at for me. I wanted to do a comedy cover of one of her songs so I downloaded an acapella. The cover never materialised but the acapella just showed me how incredible her voice is!

I agree that Beyonce has a good voice but there are plenty of other female artists I prefer to her. Jennifer Hudson ftmfw... :agreed:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Honestly, the Mars movement from Holst's 'The Planets' is metal as fuck. :hbang:

I can't remember if I've heard that or not but I feel like I may have. I have a friend who's way more into classical than I am (classical pianist) and he shows me a lot of stuff all the time, but I tend to forget what it is sometimes... Go figure... :lol:

')