Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Jupiter always did it for me :D

*high five*

I can't remember if I've heard that or not but I feel like I may have. I have a friend who's way more into classical than I am (classical pianist) and he shows me a lot of stuff all the time, but I tend to forget what it is sometimes... Go figure... :lol:

KJ, Check out Holst: The Planets. I think you'd really dig it. I personally believe it was the direct inspiration for damn near every orchestral soundtrack you've ever heard in an outer space movie. (John Williams borrowed from it liberally in the Star Wars suites..)

The Planets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, the first movement is Mars, and it's in 5 time, which is always cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
*high five*

KJ, Check out Holst: The Planets. I think you'd really dig it. I personally believe it was the direct inspiration for damn near every orchestral soundtrack you've ever heard in an outer space movie. (John Williams borrowed from it liberally in the Star Wars suites..)

The Planets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, the first movement is Mars, and it's in 5 time, which is always cool.

I second this movement and say that you should listen to all 7 parts in one sitting for maximus awesomus.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I mostly listen to pop of all sorts. lots of 70's/80's pop like steely dan, toto, billy joel, etc. Also alot of current pop like lady gaga, katy perry, jordin sparks, scissor sisters. Lots of musicals, and alot of prog like genesis, transatlantic, spock's beard. A ton of classical/art music/etc.
And also metal

Skyblue

Reaction score
Well, I'm kinda in my metal stage right now.... bands ranging from Dream Theater to Meshuggah. almost always on the progressive side anyway.
Classical music has always been a huge part of my life, since I was little.
Jazz I adore, but I admit that I never get to listen to it enough.... It's mostly the accessibility- I find it much harder to find good quality jazz albums and such. I am going to try and get some stuff though :] (if you have any recommendations as to where can I find stuff, feel free)

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
I second this movement and say that you should listen to all 7 parts in one sitting for maximus awesomus.

Or go see the entire work performed in one sitting by a reputable orchestra. I saw Toronto Symphony do the entire Planets Suite on December 2nd, 2008.

I grew up a classical snob, with one parent doing Jazz-Blues, and the other Classical. My niche was Romantic and Late-Romantic symphonic works, from about 8 or 9 till I was 14-15, and my mother was a Baroque and Classical diehard, which I respected but didn't "get".

This actually mirrors my current performance abilities - I'm definitely strongest performing Rachmaninoff, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Scriabin and weakest performing Mozart, Haydn, Clementi, Ducik.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Or go see the entire work performed in one sitting my a reputable orchestra. I saw Toronto Symphony do the entire Planets Suite on December 2nd, 2008.

I grew up a classical snob, with one parent doing Jazz-Blues, and the other Classical. My niche was Romantic and Late-Romantic symphonic works, from about 8 or 9 till I was 14-15, and my mother was a Baroque and Classical diehard, which I respected but didn't "get".

This actually mirrors my current performance abilities - I'm definitely strongest performing Rachmaninoff, Shostakovitch, Prokofiev, Scriabin and weakest performing Mozart, Haydn, Clementi, Ducik.

Major jealousy. I'd love to see the Planets played by an orchestra, or any piece for that matter. Haven't had the chance yet.

I enjoy romantic more too, mainly for the freedom it provides. Studied figured bass at university for a semester and it was just rules, rules and rules. The rules sounded good when played, but I can't remember how many times I was told that I wrote parallel fifths or that my inversion was incorrect. Still, I use a lot of what I learned so can't be that bad!

Also, before anyone else tries to write parallel fifths, just remember that every time you write one, Bach kills a kitten: Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten | Facebook

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I listen to all kinds of music and refuse to limit myself to just one genre. There's too many great music out there to keep a closed mind. :)

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
In general I see myself as a rock guitarist and fan of rock music in general.
Just sorta skimming through my music folder on my hard drive of some non metal stuff to give you an idea :

37500 Yens
Antarctic
At the Drive In
Ben Folds Five
Brand New
Boris
Circa Survive
Chopin
Coheed and Cambria
Dash and Will
Do Make Say Think
Dr Dre
Foo Fighters
Immortal Technique
Jeff Buckley
Joe Satriani
Kayo Dot
Liszt
Merzbow
Mogwai
Ohm (the fusion band with Chris Poland)
Paramore (more for their alternative rock side, not so much a fan of most of the songs off the first album because it was kinda too pop punk for me)
Pink Floyd
Red Sparrowes
Refused
Russian Circles
Sonic Youth
These Snakes are Arms
Thrice
The Reign of Kindo (great jazz/indie rock band)
VersaEmerge
Wes Montgomery
Yes

So as you can see, my heart is mainly in rock music of all kinds, from poppier stuff, all the way to the most extreme metal.
But I certainly don't close my mind off to other stuff, I like some jazz, some classical (mainly of the Romantic era onwards, not so much into the earlier periods) and even some hip hop.
I just kinda like how because of what I listen too, it enables me to jam in a variety of settings, from guys in their 40s/50s playing blues rock, to pop punk/alt rock or death metal, whatever. I don't like being confined to one of a few genres with my playing.

Shinto

ss.org lurker
Reaction score
I wish I could get out of this conventional rock/metal rut I'm in right now.
Sure rock is pretty diverse, but I'm nearly bored with what I've found so far.
Classical/Baroque? Rap/Hip Hop/R&B? Jazz? Blues? Electronica? Pop (no Top 20 though)? Enlighten me!

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of... It's sort of 40% different types of industrial (EBM/Noise/Electro Industrial/Futurepop/Coldwave etc..), 40% "metal" of various forms, and then some other random stuff.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
this is what I listen to basically everyday. I hardly listen to any metal at all, maybe Megadeth or Death once a week.. thats about it.

Also started getting into this awesome alto player named Jeff Kashiwa.. Totally recommend checking him out if you're into great smooth jazz.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
this is what I listen to basically everyday. I hardly listen to any metal at all, maybe Megadeth or Death once a week.. thats about it.

Jamiroquai, YES. And Love Foolosophy is one of my favourite songs ever and my favourite bass line to play.

Charles

Happy Metal
Reaction score
All I've heard from Jamiroquai to this point is "Canned Heat" so rep to you both for introducing me to this awesomeness.

dantel666

Reaction score
I went through a huge metal phase when I started high school, but over the past year ive grown out of it.

I listen to alot of different music now. one of my favorite bands currently is nevershoutnever. cheesy i know but I enjoy it. I've also been listening to The Cure a lot to.

I just listen to what I enjoy listening to now and dont care what people think.

cradleofflames

Reaction score
I started listening to music when I was 5 with my brother's Appetite for Destruction tape. The first CD I bought was Metallica followed shortly thereafter by Ozzy. My parents got me into classical music and classic rock along the way. My Dad listened to classic rock radio every day. That station liked to do giveaways where they'd play a few seconds of a song backwards. By the time I was 8 I knew nearly every one almost immediately unfortunately my Dad didn't dial fast enough...

These days I listen to mostly prog rock, fusion, electronica, and J-pop being a hardcore anime fan.

My recent play list includes:
Al Di Meola
The Atomica Project
The Cure
Deftones
Dido
Dream Theater
Endless Blue
Eufonius
Kotoko
Massive Attack
Ohm
Pink Floyd
Portishead
Round Table feat. Nino
Rush
Slowdive
Suga Shikao
The Smashing Pumpkins
Tool
U2

beefshoes

Rack Em Willie
Reaction score
I used to listen to Metal pretty much exclusively from the time I was 11 until 14 or so.
I listen to a lot of different genres but I have been listening to Post-Rock, Shoegaze, and Ambient music for a couple of years more than any other genres.

')