Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I'm primarily progressive rock atm. I actually loathe just about all screaming / guttural vocals so that nixes 90% modern metal for me. I will tolerate some as long as the music backing the awful vocals rocks.

I grew up on folk, bluegrass and classical. I was a pretty big snob up until I got into Tool. Tool really introduced me to the heavier grooves and I also kind of saw them as a spiritual successor to Pink Floyd.

Current obsession for me is Dream Theater and LTE and I've gone back from there to pickup some Al DiMeola, Allan Holdsworth and other lighter, but equally technical influences.

The newest metal band that I've gotten into is Mutiny Within. Love Chris Clancy's vocals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Although metal is my main love I certainly enjoy many other genres of music, various types of jazz(Ornette Coleman, John Zorn, Coletrane, Miles Davis), indie rock (esp. the band 'Low'), fusion (Allan Holdsworth), Modernist and romantic Classical (Stravinsky/Schoenberg/Mussorgsky/John Zorn's 'Magick' Album), electronic stuff (VNV Nation, More recent Ulver, Merzbow, Nadja, Environmental Sound Collapse), and some noise stuff.

I even like some country (16 Horsepower/Woven Hand) and Rap (Dalek).

In general I just like music that's really different and unique, stuff you can just tell the artisits are truly doing their own thing and don't really care about how it is recieved.
And in my opinion the more experimental, bizarre, out there and alien it is, the better-no matter what it is I am listgening to, I like to be challenged. If I can understand everything on the first listen (or even before my first listen concludes) I am somewhat dissatisfied, not that I don't like simple things ever, but I tend to find more joy in exploring the unknown and figuring things out than having cliches spoonfed to me.

There are no bad styles, just styles done poorly.

Of course all this is IMHO.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
It depends a lot on the environment, though. When I'm listening to music in a loud place - such as in the subway, on my way to work; or at the gym - I tend to listen more to metal because there's less dynamics, and, thus, there are fewer parts I won't hear a thing.

Otherwise, when I'm at home, I tend to listen more to post-rock, celtic music, soundtracks, and various rock subgenres - from poppyish ones like 30 Seconds to Mars and U2 to artsy ones like Radiohead, The Gathering, and Tool. I can't say which genre predominates overall :shrug:.

AVWIII

Pope of Chilitown
Reaction score
I'm realllllly picky with my music. I do enjoy metal, but I can't stomach a band that "sounds just like _______ !" which is what a lot of metal seems to do.
When I want really awe inspiring music I usually hit up post rock.
Do Make Say Think was recommended to me by a good friend years back and they're still my perennial favourite.

But I really enjoy some of the modern folk stuff like
The Tallest Man on earth

Or The Wilderness of Manitoba. The four part vocal harmonies seriously give me goosebumps.

I can get into electronic, but it usually has to have sporadic rhythms or organic elements
Such as Venetian snares

I basically listen to anything I can find interesting. Ska, Gypsy jazz, Bach, hip hop, death metal, cybergind, whatever.

Reaction score
^^^Good album by Venetian Snares, but not his best IMO, electronic wise. He's got some other really good stuff out there but if you want to stick with the organic stuff I don't know if you would like it

On topic: I'm really picky with my metal. Most of it is really fast technical stuff, Necrophagist, Cynic

But I really like jazz because it's just so out there, everything can be really difficult to some people who haven't learned how to analyze it but to an experienced jazz musician it must feel like it's second nature. I guess there a lot of things that need to be mastered to really learn how it all fits, that's why I like it at least.

Unfortunately my theory isn't good enough to understand most of these progressions or chords, but I'll get there one day

Reaction score
Yeah. I've heard most of his other albums. Crazy, awesome stuff. This one just caught my interest a little more with the use of strings and whatnots.
Totally, it's a really cool concept and there is a lot of energy to it. But I prefer some of his stuff that's a little darker and sounds a little more broken.

guitareben

Reaction score
YES! I would HATE to JUST listen to metal, i like variation. I kinda listen to stuff like this:

Steve Vai (i never get tired of him)
Guthrie
Satch (a bit)
Andy Mckee
Planet X
Niacin
Andy Timmons
Rodrigo y Gabriela

And then the non rock ish stuff

Joe Pass (so great!!!)
Pat Methany ( a bit)
Ludivico einoudi
J. S. Bach
Mozart
Igor Stravinsky
Keith Jarret

And sometime Sorabji....

Metal tires me sometimes and so i need to branch out and become more versatile. + Jammin with metalhead kids sucks, so I don't want to be like them.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Actually while I love metal....I'm about the weirdest metal head I know for my tastes.

My favorite genre of music is classical and I particularly enjoy Mendelssohn, Beethoven, Bach, Kachaturian just to name a few. It is a music genre to chill to and really pumps me....the heaviest music you'll ever hear without distortion

troyguitar

Reaction score
I like metal and rock but none of the stuff that's popular on this board. Give me Crimson Glory, HammerFall, Helloween or some good old Whitesnake, Dokken, Journey, Bon Jovi, etc. It seems most people today don't even call any of that metal though since there are no growls or blastbeats or breakdowns, so I guess I don't listen to metal at all!

Something that I love that has not been mentioned here is the CD "Heavy Machinery" featuring Jens Johansson (Stratovarius), his brother Anders (HammerFall), and Allan Holdsworth. It's not metal at all but it is fucking amazing. Those guys are insanely talented, it's not fair!

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
I discovered her recently (cool video btw)

Also Dead Can Dance,Arcana,Brendan Perry (the co-singer/songwriter multi-instrumentalist along with Lisa Gerrard)

Also i discovered recently Woven Hand

I mean..this performance..damn! :

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I like metal and rock but none of the stuff that's popular on this board. Give me Crimson Glory, HammerFall, Helloween or some good old Whitesnake, Dokken, Journey, Bon Jovi, etc. It seems most people today don't even call any of that metal though since there are no growls or blastbeats or breakdowns, so I guess I don't listen to metal at all!

Something that I love that has not been mentioned here is the CD "Heavy Machinery" featuring Jens Johansson (Stratovarius), his brother Anders (HammerFall), and Allan Holdsworth. It's not metal at all but it is fucking amazing. Those guys are insanely talented, it's not fair!

I was really into power metal a few years ago... I can barely stand the genre these days, but Helloween is an exception - I keep coming back to them time and again :metal:

guitareben

Reaction score

It is a bloody amazing cd!

Holy Katana

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I don't listen to metal often anymore. I do on occasion, but generally, I listen to post-punk, indie, jazz, industrial, various electronic genres, and classical these days.

I probably should change my avatar.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Jupiter always did it for me :D

:agreed:

All_¥our_Bass;2118930 said:
In general I just like music that's really different and unique, stuff you can just tell the artisits are truly doing their own thing and don't really care about how it is recieved.
And in my opinion the more experimental, bizarre, out there and alien it is, the better-no matter what it is I am listgening to, I like to be challenged. If I can understand everything on the first listen (or even before my first listen concludes) I am somewhat dissatisfied, not that I don't like simple things ever, but I tend to find more joy in exploring the unknown and figuring things out than having cliches spoonfed to me.

There are no bad styles, just styles done poorly.

Of course all this is IMHO.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

Difficult music is the best, provided you take the time to appreciate it. I gain more pleasure from music that just grates against the ears than I could ever receive from some four-minute pop diddy, or most non-experimental music. Unfortunately, most people don't know how to do this. Conversely, I don't have an appreciation for any popular music that I know, because the first time I hear a song in that style, I listen pretty passively and say, "Okay, now that that's over with..."

Not to say that there's no merit in the styles that don't make use of oddity. I can appreciate the musicianship in any setting, no matter the level of technique. Radio music just doesn't phase me. Sorry, radio music. This makes it a little difficult to interact with people on the basis of music, you wouldn't want me to pick out music at a party, but what is music if not something personal? I can list every reason why I like a piece of music and every reason why I dislike another piece of music, which is an admission of my own opinion, but music as an art is subjective so you better damn well have an opinion. :lol:

I don't think I have a very wide palette of music, which is something that I wish was different. I love what I listen to, though. In response to the OP, I hardly listen to metal. Unfortunately, I listen to too much 70's prog. Anyway, here are a bunch of artists that I draw regular listening from:

Alice In Chains
Apoptygma Berzerk
ARK
Art Bears
Asia
Bauhaus
Beardfish
Captain Beyond
The Cure
Depeche Mode
The Discocks
Egg
ELO
Elton John :)scream:)
ELP
Genesis
Gentle Giant
Ghetto Bombs
Henry Cow
King Crimson
KMFDM (Not so much anymore; more so back when I was a teenager... for good reason. :lol:)
Leonard Cohen
Love
Mates Of State
Peter Hammill
Peter Murphy
Prince
Rush
Soft Machine
Steely Dan
Sun Ra
Thelonious Monk
Van Der Graaf Generator
Yes

Classical, I like Romantic and Impressionist stuff. Wagner, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Debussy, Ravel, Berg (Yeah, I know, he was Second Viennese School, but he has Romantic sensibilities.), Steve Reich, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, Rimsky-Korsakov, Clara Schumann, Robert Schumann, Henri DuParc, Holst, that sort of thing.

But, hey, check this out:

Murmel

Reaction score
We're working with Jazz history right now in school (pretty much just started) and we got hear some songs or parts of songs.. I must say, kinda diggin' what I've heard so far.

On a side note, I found this Japanese rock artist, Eikichi Yazawa. He's been going at it for like 35 years. He's pretty good I must say.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
We're working with Jazz history right now in school (pretty much just started) and we got hear some songs or parts of songs.. I must say, kinda diggin' what I've heard so far.

When I took jazz history, the professor would play the entirety of every track. The first side of Free Jazz is thirty-seven minutes long. :lol:
I'm glad that he did it that way, though. I'm a proponent of observing art in its complete state.

On a side note, I found this Japanese rock artist, Eikichi Yazawa. He's been going at it for like 35 years. He's pretty good I must say.

3:39 - "We're middle-aged. We're middle-aged. HOORAAAY!!!"

Just joking, that was pretty good. :lol:

')