Anyone here NOT listen predominantly to metal?

• Thread starter Charles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bones43x

Reaction score
I can't stand rap or country. I live in TN, where almost everyone listens to country. The guys at work KILL me with their radios. 2 guys around me crank their radios up to the major country station, and another blasts his ipod through his radio. So at any given time you can hear 2 different country songs at once. Luckily, I have my ipod and my noise isolating IEMs to block it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wow, country lovers on here! If someone can point me in the direction of good country music - ie either technically challenging, musically interesting, or boundary pushing, I will give it a listen. But if someone lists something like Shania Twain or Garth Brooks so help me GOD I will self combust. :lol:
And I don't know how you guys can love metal but prefer country over Linkin Park. :scratch:

I'm in total agreement that there can be crappy metal, crappy hip hop, and crappy country. It could be that I've only been exposed to crappy country because I'm o ly aware of what I hear on the radio. So I will reopen my mind, brothas!

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Wow, country lovers on here! If someone can point me in the direction of good country music - ie either technically challenging, musically interesting, or boundary pushing, I will give it a listen. But if someone lists something like Shania Twain or Garth Brooks so help me GOD I will self combust. :lol:
And I don't know how you guys can love metal but prefer country over Linkin Park. :scratch:

I'm in total agreement that there can be crappy metal, crappy hip hop, and crappy country. It could be that I've only been exposed to crappy country because I'm o ly aware of what I hear on the radio. So I will reopen my mind, brothas!

This. :)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to this.

I love some good country.

Then again, when you're related to Waylon and Shooter Jennings, and most of the rest of your family is into it and you were raised on it... it's kind of hard to not be into it. :lol:

now that we're talking country...

Brad Paisley, Danny Gatton(okay, so his playing isn't strictly country, but still), Keith Urban, Alabama, and Vince Gill have all been getting a decent amount of play lately.

Related to Jennings(s) eh, that is pretty cool, and I agree, I grew up listening to country and while I didn't care for it too much at the time it stuck with me. Paisley and Gatton and just monster players too. Albert Lee and Brent Mason are two more absolutely amazing players.

Ask and you shall recieve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pku7nC0bQsc&feature=related

A meddley of pickers and styles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6BJ2E8eKww

And some Danny Gatton for good measure (this one is not strictly country)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyjtW-rvWoQ

(and something more country)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDzFBupEMw

And Orange Blossom Special performed by the Hellecasters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKRB-VvSxfk

Behaving_badly

Reaction score
Not a big country fan, but I do love me some bluegrass. some of the stuf I've heard played on guitar, banjo, an mandolin blows me away.

I enjoy metal a lot but I try o stay away from having only one "true love" genre
ReLly, any music that fuses genres is a favorite. I've been listening to this band "the jazz mandolin project the combines jazz and a bit of bluegrass and the great Bela Fleck
I've been wanting to start a metal/bluegrass/gypsy jazz project for quite a while now.......

musicaldeath

Herald of Djod
Reaction score
I started guitar with classic stuff like Pink Floyd and AC/DC as well as Guns n Roses... then I moved into punk/pop-punk, which led to bands like FFAF and Thursday... then I discovered Iron maiden when I was 15 and didn't look back. however now, the only metal I usually ever listen to is Tesseract, Cloudkicker and Dream Theater (obviously not all of DT is metal, but their recent efforts have them lumped there). I'm more into old jazz and Holdsworth. Stuff I can put on the headphones at work and listen to without beating my face on my desk. That being said, my writing style is predominantly prog/metal although I have, as of lately been trying to throw in some of the jazz and fusion elements I love.

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
I range all over the place too. I'm not sure if it's that Metal is back-seat or even....spread spectrum more or less for me. In my car, I have:

Queensryche (Mindcrime)
DT (Black Clouds and Silver Linings)
Arvel Bird (Native America violinist)
Al DiMeola custom complilation
Mix CD consisting of Frampton, AC/DC, Bad Co., Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, Dixie Dregs, Yes, and others in this era

I typically don't listen to the uber-heavy growling stuff as I can't get passed the vocals (music is usually awesome).

piggins411

Reaction score
Eh I don't listen to much metal. The small bit I do listen to I've only gotten into in the past few years. Some of the stuff I listen to:

Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dream Theater
Muse
Queens of the Stone Age
Kyuss
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Between the Buried and Me
Arsis
Pantera
Mastodon
Cynic
Rage Against the Machine
Stone Temple Pilots
WHY?
CAKE
Incubus
Soundgarden
Protest the Hero
Scale the Summit
The Mars Volta
Minus the Bear
This Town Needs Guns
RX Bandits
Sublime
Joe Satriani
Alice in Chains
Ben Folds Five
Maps & Atlases

More recently got into mathy stuff and indie hip-hop like Astronautilus.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
Lots of Jazz, lots of fusion, and a decent amount of classic rock here. Although, I do listen to alot of metal, more so then I even play it, and as much as I like jazz and fusion, I usually like my metal to be raw, aggressive, and balls out.. Not a big fan of periphery, scale the summit, AAL and other newer, proggy bands.. Would much rather throw on The dead shall inherit..or a Brett Garsed album..

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I just recently heard You and Yer Good Ideas and was pretty excited to find something fairly close to WHY? Coincidentally, if you have some suggestions, I'm all ears

I only heard Y&YGI recently, as well. I'd listened to the Nine Dark Theaters and Pomegranate albums quite a lot before that, though. Check out some of Jehst's stuff. That may float your boat.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
i listen to alot of cello, alot of Fugazi, Adam Hurst and a bunch of punk bands from my younger years. I have a huge post-rock collection i have on regular listening sessions and i am huge fan of properly done Ambient stuff (stars of the lid, not that "omg ambi-djent" retarded shit that floats around here. Its not ambient if you chug on a F# for 5 mins over a shitty omnisphere patch)

Koop

Reaction score
Sometimes I get tired of metal and listen to pure acoustic for a couple days. It's nice and refreshing.

sytraxiplague

Reaction score
I love metal, but preferably things a bit more melodic and not much all out brutality, ex: Cynic, Death, Edge of Sanity, 3rd and the Mortal, Opeth.

I used to listen to metal a lot more, but nowadays I'm almost always listening to things like Rush, Yes, Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Vince Dicola, Willie Nelson, etc. etc.

The Grief Hole

Reaction score
I do love metal but it is definitely not my predominant genre. I really enjoy classical and opera (which I studied at uni) and love a lot of ambient stuff. For example:

Charles Ives - The unanswered question is my favourite pice of music.
I think Maria Callas is the closest thing to a deity the world has ever seen.
Diamanda Gllas
Steve Roach's Dreamtime Return
Love Peter Gabriel
And everyone should listen to Paul Horn's Inside(The Taj Mahal).
I think SunnO))) are excellent as well and are in no way metal.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
Like the poster about a dozen posts above this one, I listen to predominately Shpongle. They have more replay value than any other artist I've ever listened to.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
my music preference changes all the time but lately it has been jazz progressive and post hardcore but with out much screaming

')