Anyone here play any "Stringed" instruments?

• Thread starter Drage
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drage

Reaction score
Like Violin, Viola, Cello, Upright Bass?

I've been playing the Violin for over a year and I've been making some solid progress. It'll take a few more years for me to tackle the 5th Caprice, but Im enjoying the instrument nonetheless. Anyone else?

(Hopefully this is the most appropriate section in put this thread in...)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zak

Reaction score
I'm on a Lute quest...

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Appalachian Dulcimer. I just trance out and apply my theory and play pleasant sounding stuff. Don't know what I'm playing half the time, but whenever I hit a discordant tone I'm usually jarred back to reality.

I'll lose touch for 20-30 minutes at a time. Its great.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I play the mandolin, which is tuned like a violin, although it's strung much like a guitar (just with a much much shorter scale).

I left it in the states, so I haven't played it recently. I really like the mandola as well. My uncle has a lot of ethnic stringed instruments that I like to try my hand at when I go to his house.

rasav

Reaction score
I play violin and cello but I cheated by using 1/16" car pinstriping to mark out the position of the notes. I use 17.835 / by the bridge to nut length to get placement location and a cheap micrometer to get it close to accurate. (Accuracy makes a big differance in violins. For cellos, close is ok.)

Reynolds

You're bluffing.
Reaction score
I've been playing violin a few years, I screw around with my friend's cello sometimes. I have another that is learning upright bass.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i used to play viola a long time ago.

when a friend brought a violin over a few months ago, i discovered that my body still remembered the right ways to hold the stick and instrument and roughly where most of the notes are (i was a little sharp on most of the notes because i played viola, not violin, and the shorter scale was throwing me).

Brendan G

What is this then?
Reaction score
When I was in band in eighth grade I would use the school's upright bass when I forgot mine, does that count? :lol:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the Luth....

I would like to buy one and try to learn how to play a Luth :hbang:

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
I have a violin, cello, mandolin, octave mandolin, lap harp and 34 string celtic harp at my disposal. Due to having extremely bad arthritis I am limited to playing only for about 20 per day so I stick to the classical guitar more often than not. If I didn't love the guitar so much I would probably move onto harp because of the tone and the nice comfy posture. I really love the sound of bowed instruments though. I would love to try out a guitarviol.

troyguitar

Reaction score
I rented a violin once but couldn't get the hang of having to hold my instrument up in the air whilst playing it...

I've been thinking about grabbing an electric cello when I have some extra cash, or maybe taking some actual violin lessons.

Ckackley

Reaction score
I play a good bit of Greek Bazouki. Its set up with 8 strings tuned in pairs like a 12 string guitar tuned ADAD. Sometimes I'll tune it DGBE so I can play conventional guitar chords . I play Mandolin too.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
I play a good bit of Greek Bazouki. Its set up with 8 strings tuned in pairs like a 12 string guitar tuned ADAD. Sometimes I'll tune it DGBE so I can play conventional guitar chords.

:hbang:. I used to play bouzouki as well! My grandmother came from Kefalonia and she loved the bouzouki.

My brother used to play the viola but I never really got the hang of it.

Latest posts

')