Anyone here switched to V or Arrow shaped guitars?

• Thread starter Stan P
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Homie here put it into words here for me. I'm basically the opposite of this I prefer my bridge farther forward. The V cut on the RR is too deep to me for extended picking periods.
Just one of those preference things I guess. I don't like the way PRS Customs sit but love the way my Vela sits.

It's funny, I only noticed the difference between the two Vs when I looked at pics, not while I was playing lol.

I think that's probably why I have such an aversion to online recommendations about what sounds good or plays well.

I'll go from playing a fat slab LP to an ergo Ibanez Q and after 5 minutes I don't notice the difference in scale, radius, or ergo/contours. So whether a guitar has a tummy carve or a certain shape is all aesthetics to me. I might play different or play different things, but that's about it. But that's me. To someone else those might be deal breakers.

gnoll

Reaction score
It's funny, I only noticed the difference between the two Vs when I looked at pics, not while I was playing lol.

I think that's probably why I have such an aversion to online recommendations about what sounds good or plays well.

I'll go from playing a fat slab LP to an ergo Ibanez Q and after 5 minutes I don't notice the difference in scale, radius, or ergo/contours. So whether a guitar has a tummy carve or a certain shape is all aesthetics to me. I might play different or play different things, but that's about it. But that's me. To someone else those might be deal breakers.

Yep this stuff is hard to advise on.

I still kind of don't even get how this guy holds his guitar so like, yea...

I'd just try stuff in a store. Guitars are different, people are different etc.

And Vs and upper fret access is like ehh, it depends? It depends on the neck joint, where the wings attach, if there's a cutaway and how big it is, and then how you're gonna play the guitar.

For me neck-through superstrats are king for upper fret access but they don't seem to work in this case so then I have no idea.

Stan P

Reaction score
So this is my old position (the problem):
7FF78130-EA78-47D6-AE32-2DAFA806EAD7.jpeg

Left hand position is not optimal for stretches

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
I had an LTD RL600 when I was but a lad, and it was one of the most amazing shapes sitting, the "random star" sorta thing. I suspect the arrow is on par, especially with that cutaway if your leg should fit there.

I don't have any issues with my superstrat shapes in classical, but it helps if you can get one of those yoga blocks to put under your left foot. Also I find the more round shapes like Gibson's Vs way more difficult to wield than the other brands.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Long time V/X shape player here.
For me it's not that much about comfort, it's just that I'm not that into the RG/soloist/M/strat shape, but still, I always felt that the classical position was the best for me, and a V/RR is just the best for that.
I used to use a strap even when sitting down, because that keeps it in place better. And also if you have a bar stool, you can set the strap the same you would when standing up, and that makes fast picking more comfortable.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
If esp still made the katana 7 or the arrow 7 standard, I would buy in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, when they still made them I wasn’t in a financially viable spot being in college and all.

torchlord

Reaction score
I haven't switched but I do have one, If I ever get another guitar I'll get another V. My only V is a Agile Reaper that is very comfortable to play sitting down but the support for the for holding the guitar up on the left leg isn't quite what you would want it to be if you like that. The fact that it is 27" scale and has a leg-shaped groove between the V points really helps for sitting down comfortably. This is my guitar.

Attachments

• 20110909_115532_Android.jpg
    20110909_115532_Android.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42

Perge

Reaction score
I haven't switched but I do have one, If I ever get another guitar I'll get another V. My only V is a Agile Reaper that is very comfortable to play sitting down but the support for the for holding the guitar up on the left leg isn't quite what you would want it to be if you like that. The fact that it is 27" scale and has a leg-shaped groove between the V points really helps for sitting down comfortably. This is my guitar.
Damnit. Don't remember agile V's wtf. I need rondo to put out some not headless 7s again.

Gorespe

Chopstix
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I play at sharp angles anyway and have been reverting back to playing Vs.

Attachments

• 20230601_230513.jpg
    20230601_230513.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • received_215785877898113.jpeg
    received_215785877898113.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 22

jco5055

Reaction score
I"m definitely team V at least for "normal" non/ergo designs. V's force you when sitting to play in classical/what things like the Performaxe were designed for, and also I love the unrestricted access to the higher frets.

I'm definitely mostly referring to more Rhoads-style v's and not classic Gibson Vs.

drmayhem

Insidious
Reaction score
Weirdly, my favourite guitar for seated playing is my twin neck SG - it just sits perfectly. V's are fine for me when standing, but the vast majority of my guitars are some flavour of super strat shape because I find they are best for me across most positions and styles. And all are easy to get to 22nd, 23rd and 24th fret on those that have them.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score

That's a beautiful guitar, thanks for the GAS :lol:

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
I started playing V’s because they look sick. I realized after the fact that it did wonders for my playing and I can’t play guitars the normal way anymore 😂

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I def need at least one V, after trying a few of them, I prefer 22 fret Vs instead of 24 fret Vs, some have atrocious upper fret access.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
For me a perfect guitar just "sits" and has no sharp edges. Kinda why I end up sitting in the typical right leg position like 75% of the time, though I agree that playing the higher frets becomes a little harder (especially as we age and our bellies grow!).

My Alexi V is comfy but only in certain specific positions and, let's face it, we don't sit there like stones for 2-3 hours at a time. So, when I shift my position too much, it stops being as comfy because the weight ends up falling towards the neck and onto my left hand. It's hard to support the weight and play fast licks at the same time.

I like the strandberg shape for playing while sitting with a more accessible and upright position. I just need to hug it ever so slightly with my picking forearm and the neck doesn't sit on my left thumb anymore.

Latest posts

')