Anyone here tune in fifths? (OR anything else really wierd/different)

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
That's a nice idea.

We've already mentioned a similar idea, using a fourths/fifths combination, similar to Open C tuning, such as BEBEBE, or CGCGCG.

Interesting point, but I've spent a lot of time playing in DADGAD on the acoustic guitar over the years, and it's easily one of my favourite altered tunings (in Celtic music it's almost and alternative standard tuning). I've found having the whole step between the 2nd and 3rd strings is great for chords, and actually resonates nicely, particularly if you like a lot of sus chords.
So, what about CGDAEF#? This would give you all the benefits of fifths tuning, but would allow you to fret close-voiced triads easily on the top three strings. The more I think about this one, the more it appeals...man, I wish I had a hardtailo guitar with me...:lol:

Alternatively, if you're going to go with the fifths/thirds idea, how about BF#C#FCG or AEBEbBbF, as this would put the third in the centre, giving the fretboard a greater sense of symmmetry.

Another idea, based on the fourths/fifths concept, would be AEBAEB; only three strings to learn!

The more I think about it, the more the CGDAEF# tuning appeals...I may take the plunge and slap it on my acoustic tonight...
You really get worked up during these tuning threads, don't you?

:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ixlramp

Reaction score
hello!

i play a 6 string 'bass' tuned in all fifths, although i want to get away from the 'bass' word.. i call it a long scale guitar, ERG or grand guitar. NOT 'extended range bass'. currently the lowest note is A0, the lowest on a standard piano:

G# .013 plain steel (guitar string with bass ball end threaded on)
C# .022 roundwound
F# .035
B .055
E .090 (same as standard bass E)
A .0145

i would love a 7 string bass to enable another string on top (D# .008)

the crafty 7 string tuning is actually CGDAE G A, mostly fifths, then a minor third, then a tone. basically the Fripp 6 string tuning CGDAEG plus an A on top. makes for interesting chord possibilities but i prefer an all fifths tuning

matthew

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
hello!

i play a 6 string 'bass' tuned in all fifths, although i want to get away from the 'bass' word.. i call it a long scale guitar, ERG or grand guitar. NOT 'extended range bass'. currently the lowest note is A0, the lowest on a standard piano:

C# .022 roundwound
F# .035
B .055
A .0145

the crafty 7 string tuning is actually CGDAE G A, mostly fifths, then a minor third, then a tone. basically the Fripp 6 string tuning CGDAEG plus an A on top. makes for interesting chord possibilities but i prefer an all fifths tuning

matthew

Yeah, that seven string tuning is similar to what Trey Gunn does. I mentioned earlier that I tried a similar arrangement on my acoustic...it clearly has potential, but it's not a very intuititive tuning.
Do you have any sound samples?

PS. If you haven't already introduced yourself in the 'member intros' section, you should...I suspect you'll be very at home here...;)

ixlramp

Reaction score
PS. If you haven't already introduced yourself in the 'member intros' section, you should...I suspect you'll be very at home here...;)

thanks, i'll get that done as soon as possible. it's good to be here :D

Mikey D

Reaction score
All hail Joni Mitchell the queen of altered tunings...

EADadgbe for me! :)

IF I had a seven it would be EADadgb.

Stan P

Reaction score
thanks, i'll get that done as soon as possible. it's good to be here :D

Wellcome !!!

You really get worked up during these tuning threads, don't you?

:lol:

I gott to think about this hybrid tuning .. may work

hello!

C# .022 roundwound
F# .035
B .055
A .0145

matthew

Any recordings to check out?

OzzyC

Reaction score
Wellcome !!!

I gott to think about this hybrid tuning .. may work

Any recordings to check out?

Who's hybrid tuning, there's about three or four of them. ;)

Stan P

Reaction score
Who's hybrid tuning, there's about three or four of them. ;)

CGDAEF# Thank you for clarification.
Although I am concirned with the ability to keep a chord in a position and play a walking bass line along with it, if bass is tuned in 5ths ... got to try it.

I am also very interested to listen to the recordings of bass with high treble strings. SOunds like a very cool hybrid!

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
First impression with thirds...

Obviously it's cool having a whole chromatic scale in one position, but when you play chords, they sound a little 'clunky' due to the overall 'out-ness' of thirds on the guitar.
I'm not clear on what you mean hear DR, is it that you prefer the wider interval chord voicings (like with a 5ths tuning) over the closer chord voicings available in the 3rds tuning?

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not clear on what you mean hear DR, is it that you prefer the wider interval chord voicings (like with a 5ths tuning) over the closer chord voicings available in the 3rds tuning?

No, I'm talking about intonation. The way the overtones rub together makes chords seem a little 'out' to my ears

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;414467 said:
Wow. I can't believe I created such an interesting topic.

Yeah, this thread rocks!:yesway:

This is the reason I love this forum; most other places, if I start obsessing about a topic like this (which happens a lot, believe me) I just get wierd looks...here I usually find at least one other person who's interested!:)

Stan P

Reaction score
Yeah, this thread rocks!:yesway:

This is the reason I love this forum; most other places, if I start obsessing about a topic like this (which happens a lot, believe me) I just get wierd looks...here I usually find at least one other person who's interested!:)

I know. When I tall about these things with my musician friends they give me weirrd looks too:) :hbang:

OzzyC

Reaction score
I'd say that you would need something near a 70

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Plus I like really tight strings (when I'm on a guitar, otherwise I fret out of tune like nobody's business) so I'll probably aim for a 75.

Stan P

Reaction score
I am going to borrow my friend's 6 string bass and experiment with it.
I am planning to use guitar strings and try:

TUNING 1:
EAEBF#A (Fourth, three fiths and a minor third)

TUNING 2:
EBF#C#G#B (FOur thiths and a minor third)

TUNING 3:
EA-GCFA (Kinda like 2 bass strings and 4 guitar strings)

')