Anyone here tune in fifths? (OR anything else really wierd/different)

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Hey can anyone give some thought on the following tuning ideas?

For 8 string I'm set on going to a low E. on the 7s I'm at GCGCGCE right now and enjoy this tuning more than open tuning for writing.

So these were tuning ideas toyed with, any feedback much appreciated!

EAEADGBE - dropped on 2 lower strings
EAEACEAE - closest to the opening tuning idea for GCGCGCE?
EBEADGBE - just drop on the F#

I really like the GCGCGCE but don't think a low C would be reasonable at all for CGCGCGCE. Maybe EGCGCGCE? THanks again, any ideas appreciated!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Fripp's New Standard Tuning pretty much exclusively. Trying it out was like a epiphany or revelation so I've stuck with it.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried the NST for a while and I despise the m3 on top.

I tried 5ths for a while and couldn't get used to the stretches.

I tried 4ths, and found that in general it made everything but a simple major scale more difficult to finger.

I actually think that standard tuning is all around the best.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried 4ths, and found that in general it made everything but a simple major scale more difficult to finger.
Did you try it for more that a few days?

Your conclusion here just doesn't make sense to me. How could you find a tuning scheme (4ths) which is so similar to standard, yet simpler & completely symmetrical, to be more difficult to finger?:scratch:

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score

Your conclusion here just doesn't make sense to me. How could you find a tuning scheme (4ths) which is so similar to standard, yet simpler & completely symmetrical, to be more difficult to finger?:scratch:

:yesway: :agreed:

Maybe he's using some extended chords, bacause it's realy hard to (lack of) play full six string major and minor chords. But it's easy to play five and four string chords.
Maybe he didn't noticed that all scales and chords can be play verbatim and they are easy to transpose onto the upper or lower two strings. :scratch:

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
If your tuning is EBGDAEB in fourths it will be FCGDAEB. Tuning in forths you can do using two ways:
1. tune up 2 highest strings half step
or
2. tune down half step without 2 highest strings

FortePenance

Reaction score
Yeah, tuning in 4ths is basically just using the 5th fret/open without changing to 4th fret/open on the G>B string.

I think I'm going to try modal tuning on my 6er. Not really weird and different but cool anyway. With the new EMGs i'm getting from Eric, I'm gonna downtune it to maybe A or A# dorian(?) AEADEA. If I like that, I might go modal tuning for everything. DADGAD for the band (play in drop D anyway) and AEAEDEA when I get a 7. But most likely it'll end up:

RG: AEADEA (or A standard)
SZ: DADGBE
Acoustic: F standard (up 1 hstep)

Yeah, not really weird, most tunings but whatever eh. D:

loneguitarist

Crazy Bass Player
Reaction score
My fretless guitar is tuned to Augmented 4ths.

High to low:
E (normal high E of guitar)
A#
E
A#
E (normal low E of guitar)
A# (below B of 7 string)

It's lush for fretless as it makes chording easier with less barring necessary which is great for a fretless guitar

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Nice tuning :) Post some vid playing your fretless with that tuning :)

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
My fretless guitar is tuned to Augmented 4ths.

High to low:
E (normal high E of guitar)
A#
E
A#
E (normal low E of guitar)
A# (below B of 7 string)

It's lush for fretless as it makes chording easier with less barring necessary which is great for a fretless guitar
Very cool - a symmetrical tritone tuning :metal:
only two strings to learn.

I've been wanting to try this for years but have never taken the time. I'd also love to hear clips or see vids of you playing in this tuning :agreed:

Wolfv11

Reaction score
Ive been experimenting with tuning in 5ths for quite some time now.
Ive tried tuning low to high GDAEBF#
the only recording ive ever done with this was the rythm track to a song of mine called "amber" MySpace.com - Project Pulse (Eric Jackson) - Queens, New York - Experimental / Progressive / Rock - www.myspace.com/projectpulse
The lowest i go down to in the song is an A towards the end. The rest of the song is very drop D "ish".
The problem has always been the learning curve, and with college kicking my ass, i really dont have the time to learn the instrument all over again. I do plan on taking one of my instruments and fully converting it to 5ths, it really allows for some radical new ideas. If I have the time in the near future I will do some more stuff with it. I think it might work very well on my fretless guitars.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score

Well, maybe I should try it again, but pentatonics, melodic minor, some other scales seemed harder to finger to me because you have to shift towards the lower frets when ascending, which I hate. Same thing with a lot of arpeggios.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, maybe I should try it again, but pentatonics, melodic minor, some other scales seemed harder to finger to me because you have to shift towards the lower frets when ascending, which I hate. Same thing with a lot of arpeggios.
I agree that shifting lower can be more awkward than shifting higher. But it's really only one pentatonic pattern that avoids shifting lower in standard tuning (that one that everyone learns first where you can lead straight across all the strings with your first finger) - all the other 4 pentatonic patterns have a lower shift in them - and so do the other scales & arpeggios you mentioned (standard tuning is almost completely 4ths after all :) )

jab_dan

Reaction score
I started to tune my guitar in 3 and 4 semitones so it gives (me from highest tone) #F #D H #G E #C A #F D H G E (bass). Any experiences? I am just relearning it :)

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree that shifting lower can be more awkward than shifting higher. But it's really only one pentatonic pattern that avoids shifting lower in standard tuning (that one that everyone learns first where you can lead straight across all the strings with your first finger) - all the other 4 pentatonic patterns have a lower shift in them - and so do the other scales & arpeggios you mentioned (standard tuning is almost completely 4ths after all :) )

Well, also compare the standard major/minor arpeggio shapes. In all 4ths they just seem nasty to me. Also, no more easy string skipped inverted major arps.

')