Anyone into Watches?

• Thread starter Keirosen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Did you try it on? The new Speedys are too high due to the movement IMHO. Tried one, but lost interest when I had it on my arm. Just my 2 cents...
I did indeed. It's kinda high, but not as bad as some of the panerais or IWCs I have tried, and the sapphire glass makes it so you don't need to worry about scratches.
Trying it on is what made it one of my grail watches honestly.

Anyways that deal is done and it looks like I should be getting it on Thursday!

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
I did indeed. It's kinda high, but not as bad as some of the panerais or IWCs I have tried, and the sapphire glass makes it so you don't need to worry about scratches.
Trying it on is what made it one of my grail watches honestly.

Anyways that deal is done and it looks like I should be getting it on Thursday!
Nice, man! The Omega guys really stepped up their game over the last years - so many great watches in the lineup... :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzacx

Reaction score
Nice, man! The Omega guys really stepped up their game over the last years - so many great watches in the lineup... :agreed:

I’ve never been into Omega, but totally agree. I think Omega right now is the best that it’s ever been. I’m not sure there are any I’d actually buy - mostly just because there’s other stuff I want more - but I do appreciate it.

bulb

Reaction score
I’ve never been into Omega, but totally agree. I think Omega right now is the best that it’s ever been. I’m not sure there are any I’d actually buy - mostly just because there’s other stuff I want more - but I do appreciate it.

Omega is that brand that I mostly want to like more than I actually do when I try them on. The only exceptions so far have been the Dark Side and the Aqua Terra in blue on a bracelet. That one is pure class.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
I actually stopped liking the AquaTerra when they got rid of the “date frame“ and (even worse) changed the line pattern from vertical to horizontal. Glad I got mine back in the good old days... :fever:

xzacx

Reaction score
Omega is that brand that I mostly want to like more than I actually do when I try them on. The only exceptions so far have been the Dark Side and the Aqua Terra in blue on a bracelet. That one is pure class.

Actually trying stuff on really changes everything, kinda like guitars haha. Works both ways too - there's stuff I never thought I'd like until I tried it on or played it, and ended up loving.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Actually trying stuff on really changes everything, kinda like guitars haha. Works both ways too - there's stuff I never thought I'd like until I tried it on or played it, and ended up loving.

Also just seeing a watch in person can really change your mind. Seeing some of the higher end pieces can convince you that the price is warranted. Then again, you might not.

bulb

Reaction score
The Dark Side is here! Absolutely love it on the wrist!
photo.php

(won't let me embed, or i'm dumb or both, i'll post pics later)

photo.php

Semi-pro

Reaction score
While I'm still pondering on my grail, I decided to get myself a Bulova Accutron 214 "Spaceview". It takes a little investigation to find a nicely restored one (there's a sea of all kinds of frankenwatches and clumsy conversions), but wheter this is the real thing or a conversion, it's an absolute joy to look at!

39134928_530496590695820_3858661372493561856_n.jpg

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
While I'm still pondering on my grail, I decided to get myself a Bulova Accutron 214 "Spaceview". It takes a little investigation to find a nicely restored one (there's a sea of all kinds of frankenwatches and clumsy conversions), but wheter this is the real thing or a conversion, it's an absolute joy to look at!

39134928_530496590695820_3858661372493561856_n.jpg

Can you hear the hum of the tuning fork?

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Can you hear the hum of the tuning fork?

Yes you can! Only if you put it very close to your ear though, so no worries of it being a nuisance at any point :) I do catch myself taking a listen to it at least once a day :lol: The pitch is somewhere between the F and F# of the high e-string if anyone's curious.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Yes you can! Only if you put it very close to your ear though, so no worries of it being a nuisance at any point :) I do catch myself taking a listen to it at least once a day :lol: The pitch is somewhere between the F and F# of the high e-string if anyone's curious.

That’s pretty rad. I have heard that it might be hard to find someone to service those Accutron. I kind of want a gold plated Casio world timer to wear as my dress watch

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I've never really been a watch person, but this thread ignited my GAS something fierce over the past couple days. :lol:

After looking around and seeing what's out there, I've come to the determination that the field watch is my preferred style. I particularly like the look of black, white and silver with red accents. As such, there's a couple watches I'm jonesing after:

This is the first:

lu-326-luminox-atacama-field-automatic-1900-series-xl-1901_2.jpg

Alas, given the $1400 CAD price tag and the fact that I'm still pretty fresh out of school, that's not likely to happen for a while. Thankfully, this is almost as good:

815tmfSl3DL._UY879_.jpg

The picture doesn't really do the face justice. There's a circle around the hour markings that has a different texture, makes it look really nice from different angles.

Still about $600 CAD, but that's at least manageable.

Good watches are bloody expensive. :lol:

EDIT: Found a Seiko in a similar style. Should be able to get it for about $200 CAD, which is a much easier pill to swallow:

SNZG15J-LS8.jpg

Last edited:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Go look at the Hamilton in person first.. the Seiko may look similar in pictures but in person it won't pop like the Hamilton will.

Anyone have watch winder recommendations? I don't wear my watches on weekends so even with the long reserve power my mechanicals have run down by Monday morning

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Go look at the Hamilton in person first.. the Seiko may look similar in pictures but in person it won't pop like the Hamilton will.
Gotta remember, I live in the Yukon. Looking at watches in person beyond what the local Walmart and tiny little jewellery store with one case of watches just ain't doable. :lol:

I ended up ordering a Seiko, albeit a slightly different one, the SNZG17J1:

SNZG17J1_LRG.jpg

While basically the same, it had a few stylistic differences which really pushed it over the top compared to the other SNZG models:
- TiCN coating.
- All-red second hand (all other SNZGs only had red on the end of the second hand).
- Lume on the arabic numerals (the only SNZG where that's the case).
- Slightly higher-end movement.

Made sure to get the MIJ version. Anyone who's an Ibanez enthusiast will understand why. :lol:

Also ordered a leather strap, in case I don't get along with the bracelet.

And yeah, I would certainly like that Hamilton as well, but it just wasn't in the cards. Later I can certainly sell this and get the Hamilton, but for now I think I'll be perfectly happy with this.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
I looked at some Devons, couldn’t find a chrome exo and none of them had any drip from 10 feet away and pretty overpriced IMO. I hate to say it but I got my eye on a Rolex date-just Roman full diamond my buddy has that’s similar to the pic...I think I want something ridiculous to commemorate my son’s passing- he loved bling lol34F78EC1-9BDD-42AF-A378-062684E103D4.jpeg

Latest posts