Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Do you realize how many albums were made with recorded guitars before EMG pickups came out? It is highly unlikely that they have been used on more albums than Fender or Gibson pickups alone. Then there is Gretsch etc… There are at least 30 years of guitar albums that EMG would have to catch up with before even being considered in the category of “pick ups used on more albums”.
Already went over this much later on
Was supposed to say *Metal Albums

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Surprised how few demos there are of the Jim Root pickups. Trying to decide between the Hets and Dameonums and it's hard to decide.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Surprised how few demos there are of the Jim Root pickups. Trying to decide between the Hets and Dameonums and it's hard to decide.
Just do Guitar Center and return them if you don’t like them. Be gentle with the packaging and leave all of the hardware in the box (assuming you already have actives in the guitar you want to try them in). You could even slap painters tape on the bobbins if you’re worried about scuffing them up.

Heck, you could even do Amazon if you have Prime.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Get the Hets. The open coils are Indonesian made SRO OC-1 pickups (which were cheapest of the cheap, even compared to HZ pickups) with a preamp. That is much guess as to why you had a Retroactive die on you.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Get the Hets. The open coils are Indonesian made SRO OC-1 pickups (which were cheapest of the cheap, even compared to HZ pickups) with a preamp. That is much guess as to why you had a Retroactive die on you.
I thought the same thing as well, but it seems like the Daemonums are 100% USA-made. I do know for sure the RAs use USA preamps and Indo-made bobbins. Heck the first run line of RAs had SCO model names on the bobbins.

HeavyD

Hatechild
Reaction score
HeavyD, TOTALLY... I played the new Charvel with the stock pickups and ALMOST liked them for the dynamics... then plugged in my Jackson Juggernaut loaded with the EMG Het Set and thought my head was going to pop off it was SO thick and huge.

Same comparison to the Revelation Set... it sits really well in the mix, fun mids, very dynamic, all the good stuff, but the actives are just GIANT.
The best part is, when you have a guitar that plays really well and comfortably, looks really cool and you just can’t find the right passive for it, EMGs give you that sound no matter what. One of my least expensive guitars (it was hard to find a left handed king V but Agile made one in the mid 2000s that I snapped up) the action and comfort is perfect and with the 18v 81/89 set, it easily rivals my $1000+ guitars and in some ways surpasses them.

It’s my first choice live and I always end up reaching for it when recording and the chug is top priority.

Warmart

Reaction score
I've had 9 days with my newly installed 57/66 set in my Agile 3200 - total transformation and I couldn't be happier. Been playing the shit out of it and the squealies just ooze right out with ease! Especially after I fixed one wire that I plugged backwards lol. Nice change from the Het set in another guitar I have!

Now I'm debating ripping the stock pu's out of 1 or 2 of my PRS. I have an equal love/hate relationship with the 85/15 in my CU24 and a 95% hate of the 58/15 MT in my SC 594. Those are almost as fucking terrible as what was in the Agile. Lifeless pieces of feedbacking shit.

I'm leaning towards Fishman Will Adler in the 594 as I've never used anything from them, like the dual voicing and the cover colors would actually work with the hybrid hardware on the guitar. Open to suggestions though.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the same thing as well, but it seems like the Daemonums are 100% USA-made. I do know for sure the RAs use USA preamps and Indo-made bobbins. Heck the first run line of RAs had SCO model names on the bobbins.

Wait. Are EMGs made in Indonesia now?

(I'm not reading 102 pages to find out :lol:)

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can vouch for this since I had an EMG Retro Active Bridge (Super 77) that had almost no gain. Then I noticed the "Made in Indonesia" sticker. I haven't had issues with other EMG stuff that comes out of California. Something to be wary of with the RA's, but I thought the set in general sounded like a step in the right direction. Unfortunate for the QC though. However, EMG did fix it (despite it even being out of warranty) and their support in general is better than most other pickup companies I've dealt with.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Can vouch for this since I had an EMG Retro Active Bridge (Super 77) that had almost no gain. Then I noticed the "Made in Indonesia" sticker. I haven't had issues with other EMG stuff that comes out of California. Something to be wary of with the RA's, but I thought the set in general sounded like a step in the right direction. Unfortunate for the QC though. However, EMG did fix it (despite it even being out of warranty) and their support in general is better than most other pickup companies I've dealt with.
Just to be clear, I don’t know if they were just using up stock before moving to producing the coils in California, but I’ve not seen anything stating they aren’t a mostly made in Indonesia product. I think it’s pretty ridiculous to charge the same as a regular EMG. Just to cut out some holes in the pickup casing (57, Het, etc.) they think a pickup is worth 20 bucks more. Kind of insane.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I don’t know if they were just using up stock before moving to producing the coils in California, but I’ve not seen anything stating they aren’t a mostly made in Indonesia product. I think it’s pretty ridiculous to charge the same as a regular EMG. Just to cut out some holes in the pickup casing (57, Het, etc.) they think a pickup is worth 20 bucks more. Kind of insane.

The RA sets really do need to be like $50 less or something; that'd make them a much more attractive option.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
The RA sets really do need to be like $50 less or something; that'd make them a much more attractive option.
Charging the same as a typical EMG has me wondering how much of the product is made in house, which is even worse if I’m being honest.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
It's weird, too, because the marketing for the Retroactives is practically nonexistent. I do like what I've heard of them in clips, though.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I installed a 707TWX-R into my project RG7321 last night. I was going to record some clips but the neck has some frets that are lifted up in multiple spots so it plays like shit.

Aside from the playability issues, it sounds decent. More of a dry sound than I was expecting on the humbucker, but not bad. The pickup is a bit low so raising it up might help me out.

I do like the single coil mode so far, it's super clean and clear.

Latest posts

')