Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
It's weird, too, because the marketing for the Retroactives is practically nonexistent. I do like what I've heard of them in clips, though.
If it isn't an 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck, they don't really do much marketing for them. This is primarily why they've had to be reactive instead of proactive when new brands of active pickups come out. This is also primarily why they have the reputation as overly sterile and compressed.

I installed a 707TWX-R into my project RG7321 last night. I was going to record some clips but the neck has some frets that are lifted up in multiple spots so it plays like shit.

Aside from the playability issues, it sounds decent. More of a dry sound than I was expecting on the humbucker, but not bad. The pickup is a bit low so raising it up might help me out.

I do like the single coil mode so far, it's super clean and clear.
I like that EMGs are more "dry" compared to other pickups, as it allows me to add more effects before it sounds awful. I can blend them in a delay, reverb, or phaser more before it sounds like it is far too much.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I really like the 808X set, but I'm wondering if I'd like an 81-8X more. I spend a good amount of time using EQ models to trim some of the lows off the 808, but I otherwise love it. Would an 81-9X potentially be better?

lewis

Reaction score
I really like the 808X set, but I'm wondering if I'd like an 81-8X more. I spend a good amount of time using EQ models to trim some of the lows off the 808, but I otherwise love it. Would an 81-9X potentially be better?
Try an RPC knob first. Perfect for 8 strings and way cheaper than a new pickup. Plus pairs up with 707s and 808s perfectly.

Bodes

Reaction score
Nice!

Wait, I thought EMG passives were terrible though... the internet is wrong yet again.

Maybe he changed his amp settings after a pick-up change? What a heathen! Everybody knows that you set and forget your amp settings, no matter how many wildly different guitars you use, or how many different pickups you change into your guitars. [/sarcasm]

Edit: Spelling

Noodler

Riffing and chill
Reaction score
Maybe he changed his amp settings after a pick-up change? What a heathen! Everybody knows that you set and forget your amp settings, no matter how many wildly different guitars you use, or how many different pickups you change into your guitars. [/sarcasm]

Edit: Spelling
hahah, I'm a firm believer that you can make any pickup sound good by tuning the amp/EQ to it.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
hahah, I'm a firm believer that you can make any pickup sound good by tuning the amp/EQ to it.
Hmmmm... I really tried with the SD Full Shred... just didn't have anything for me. I did indeed tweak my 'normal' settings (normally using much hotter pickups like the Het Set and the 85 or 57) with the Full Shred and couldn't get it going... the tweaking with the Rev Set just 'boosted' what was already there.

I suppose in a mix, you might be a little hard pressed to hear the nuances, but the Rev Set has a feel to it that I have yet to find anywhere else. Granted, I haven't spent a lot of time with Dimarzios (that Super Distortion sounds tasty indeed), but maybe one day...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
When I want maximum metal, nothing else makes me as happy. It's been killin' it since 1981.

How many of the current trendy pickups will still be mass produced after so many years?
Every time I think of the 81, particularly with regards to playing leads, I can’t help but think of Vinnie Vincent’s ear canal drillers he calls solos, burrowing into my skull and causing searing pain to my brain.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Every time I think of the 81, particularly with regards to playing leads, I can’t help but think of Vinnie Vincent’s ear canal drillers he calls solos, burrowing into my skull and causing searing pain to my brain.

I want ears to bleed. :scream:

Although I must say I also use the EMG SPC for a mid boost (about 50% for leads) when I have EMGs. With no boost at all, it's a bit shrill for leads.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I want ears to bleed. :scream:

Although I must say I also use the EMG SPC for a mid boost (about 50% for leads) when I have EMGs. With no boost at all, it's a bit shrill for leads.
Interesting. I was contemplating getting a chrome EMG for a Strat I have. I wasn’t sure which to get. The 81 might be usable with the EXG and SPC I use.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Interesting. I was contemplating getting a chrome EMG for a Strat I have. I wasn’t sure which to get. The 81 might be usable with the EXG and SPC I use.

My Charvel 650 has the 85 at the bridge and doesn't really need the SPC much since it has a fuller sound, but I think 81s definitely need it. The 650 also has 2 x SLVs and the SPC, making it my #1 active guitar. The ultra cleans of the SLVs are interesting also. I want to duplicate this setup with a black or red 650 one day (if I can EVER find one......) or a Jackson Soloist, although maybe I'll use the 81 in that guitar.

If you are a lead oriented player, I think the fuller 85 is more satisfying, although when I want the nastiest crunch riffs, there is nothing like the 81 as found in my Hannemans. They have that extra level of aggression that you can't quite get with the 85.

20190909_143034.jpg

Last edited:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
My Charvel 650 has the 85 at the bridge and doesn't really need the SPC much since it has a fuller sound, but I think 81s definitely need it. The 650 also has 2 x SLVs and the SPC, making it my #1 active guitar. The ultra cleans of the SLVs are interesting also. I want to duplicate this setup with a black or red 650 one day (if I can EVER find one......) or a Jackson Soloist, although maybe I'll use the 81 in that guitar.

If you are a lead oriented player, I think the fuller 85 is more satisfying, although when I want the nastiest crunch riffs, there is nothing like the 81 as found in my Hannemans. They have that extra level of aggression that you can't quite get with the 85.
I definitely enjoy the 85 in the bridge. I enjoy the 58 and 60A in the bridge as well. I don’t have an 81 in any of my guitars, though, and can’t find an ivory 85. I have a lake placid Blue Strat with rosewood fingerboard, black pearloid pickguard and ivory single coils. I think a chrome or ivory pickup would look best.

Marked Man

Reaction score
I definitely enjoy the 85 in the bridge. I enjoy the 58 and 60A in the bridge as well. I don’t have an 81 in any of my guitars, though, and can’t find an ivory 85. I have a lake placid Blue Strat with rosewood fingerboard, black pearloid pickguard and ivory single coils. I think a chrome or ivory pickup would look best.

I'd definitely go ivory. I just pulled up multiple ivory 85s on ebay, no prob.

One set is bundled with 2 x S singles, although I can't recommend them; very bright and lacking body. I think the SLVs are the best singles EMG sells.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'd definitely go ivory. I just pulled up multiple ivory 85s on ebay, no prob.

One set is bundled with 2 x S singles, although I can't recommend them; very bright and lacking body. I think the SLVs are the best singles EMG sells.
I didn’t see any single ivory 85 pickups, nor any single black SLVs. I’ve seen white, covered, and the obvious black 85s. I think I may get a 60 or 60A to pair with two SLVs. I need a black SLV to pair with two black 58s, a white pearloid HSH pickguard, black knobs, and buttercream body with 22 fret maple fingerboard.

')