Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
The 24v is mainly an improvement over 9v where you can't fit two 9v batteries.
Im not sure why it appears you're only repeating its a space saving improvement?

It literally makes a massive difference to output and the overall tone too, for the better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
My fave active sets are EMG, I've had a set of 707/707x in one guitar for like 5 years now. I also have 2 guitars with their passive sets. 1 is the typical HZ ceramic bridge / alnico neck and it's meh, will prob get replaced. I recently got a Rev set with alnico II and put it in an Ibanez mikro with a super switch (so, some solder was required) and gotta say, their passive line has shown massive improvements in recent years.

I only have one set of fluence pups, the Tosin set on an 8 string and it's pretty nice but maybe a tad too treble focused for me. Everything else I own is passive rigged with DiMarzio pups. HFH at neck on most of them with different bridges. Oh and there is one with Wilkinson p90s. I should prob have at least one guitar with single coils but they never stay in the fold for long :shrug:

dspellman

Reaction score
Everything about EMG just makes me want to keep going back.
the simplicity, price and tonal options EMG offer, is still unrivalled. Ive never really got on well at all with Seymour Duncan (tried the Distortion, the 59 neck, the pearly gates bridge, the Sentient neck and the Nazgul bridge - and disliked all of them bar the 59)

not to mention, there is a reason that they (EMG) have likely been used on more albums than any other pickup company.

I dunno guys, i just feel that once the initial hype of a new product/brand dies down, i want to go back to EMG again.
Nope.

fabronaut

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The RA sets really do need to be like $50 less or something; that'd make them a much more attractive option.
it's even weirder if you consider the website pushes the quick connect system as the be all, end all.

wouldn't it be really smart to have a super affordable option as a gateway to nudge players to purchase the "core" lineup or try other models? I thought that was the whole point...

maybe that's what they were going for, but the QC and marketing never quite pulled it all together. bizarre.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Everything about EMG just makes me want to keep going back.

the effortless wiring, the ease of switching pickups out on the fly to try new models from them, the fact that they offer open coil actives now in the retro series and a passive/active hybrid like the 57/66 etc Even their coil split pickups in the 89 and 81TW etc etc are a breeze to install and use and sound great.

Obviously Fishmans are also great pickups, but I feel the simplicity, price and tonal options EMG offer, is still unrivalled. Ive never really got on well at all with Seymour Duncan (tried the Distortion, the 59 neck, the pearly gates bridge, the Sentient neck and the Nazgul bridge - and disliked all of them bar the 59)

not to mention, there is a reason that they (EMG) have likely been used on more albums than any other pickup company.

I dunno guys, i just feel that once the initial hype of a new product/brand dies down, i want to go back to EMG again.
EMG Pickups are great. I use them all the time.

tscoolberth

Reaction score
Answer yes. Just picked up an Ltd EC-1000 with the standard EMG 81/83. My second fave is my LtD Hex 7 with 707s. Third fave is my Jackson King V with EMG passive HGs ... they sound hard but in the right amp with the right OD they're great and I noticed that they are essentially pre-eq'd with trying to mix. All of my Deymour Duncans just sound unfocused, semi-fizzy ... just not right for high gain. Fishmans are like the EMGs .. always ready to go.

NazVonGates

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just picked up a JBBM20 today. Every cheap guitar I picked up before this one makes me regret them. It has everything I like about hardware including the 81-85. I was hoping to pick up a fishman fluence guitar but I chose the ibanez. I want more colors in my guitars this time around.
1648718952559.png

lewis

Reaction score
Just picked up a JBBM20 today. Every cheap guitar I picked up before this one makes me regret them. It has everything I like about hardware including the 81-85. I was hoping to pick up a fishman fluence guitar but I chose the ibanez. I want more colors in my guitars this time around.
View attachment 105776
That thing looks absolutely phenomenal

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I always wanted a Steinberger, found a hot yellow one on eBay, shipped and received from Japan in like 4 days (way to go FedEx!). I ordered a set of Fat-55 and a Crossroads middle to install in this one. Prob. got tired of too many Fluences, missing the quick connect installs, and I thought the 55 sounded badass. I'll mod the heck out of this one. I'll post the after pics when all is done.
s-l1600.jpg

lewis

Reaction score
I always wanted a Steinberger, found a hot yellow one on eBay, shipped and received from Japan in like 4 days (way to go FedEx!). I ordered a set of Fat-55 and a Crossroads middle to install in this one. Prob. got tired of too many Fluences, missing the quick connect installs, and I thought the 55 sounded badass. I'll mod the heck out of this one. I'll post the after pics when all is done. View attachment 105838
Oh hell yeah!!!

That colour is incredible and the pickup choice is interesting. Looking forward to seeing this one

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 105776
You got it in the right color that's for sure. I love the green ones. I think this year they switched and the green is gone and now it's black. Also big fan of JB as a player as well.

NazVonGates

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You got it in the right color that's for sure. I love the green ones. I think this year they switched and the green is gone and now it's black. Also big fan of JB as a player as well.
Ya everything I picked up in the last 2 months is grey, black, satin mahogany. I plan on getting the green or red sparkle stephen carpenter so I thought having this would compliment those guitars haha. I didnt know of the guy till I got home and checked them out. I'm a fan now. I just cant play as good as them. Straight into my interface and into amplitube I notice its a loud clear signal and it just blows my cheap 500 dollar guitars away. I think I'll stick to active pickups from now on.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread played around with ambient/spacey tones with their EMG's? Or done some ambient metal type tracks in the vein of Distant Dream? Would be curious to hear some of your samples.

lewis

Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread played around with ambient/spacey tones with their EMG's? Or done some ambient metal type tracks in the vein of Distant Dream? Would be curious to hear some of your samples.
I don't have samples anymore but back when I was messing around with massive ambient cleans using chimp spanners tutorial on the old HD Pro rack unit, I had an Emg H in the neck (emg S in a humbucker housing)and it sounded incredible for that.

I've heard the retroactive series do excellent ambient tones too.
What's even better about the emg single coils is there's no 60 cycle hum. They're completely noiseless.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score

I may try to throw one together with my 7 -- I think EMG's and actives in general are awesome for stuff with heavy effects since the signal is so clear. Devin Townsend has used them to the moon and back, and regularly utilizes lots of effects and ambient type sounds.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I may try to throw one together with my 7 -- I think EMG's and actives in general are awesome for stuff with heavy effects since the signal is so clear. Devin Townsend has used them to the moon and back, and regularly utilizes lots of effects and ambient type sounds.
Yep, give Devin's solo stuff a listen. Like 90% of it is EMG 81/60.

')