Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NazVonGates

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hes since switched to fishman and has his own signature over there too. The guitar hes really dialed back since the peavey flying v he had for a bit. It reminds me of a ernie ball music man. I wish they just made both price points with fishman pick ups and charge more for the 1299 euro one to include an evertune bridge. I'll be having those in one of my guitars one of these years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Has anyone in this thread played around with ambient/spacey tones with their EMG's? Or done some ambient metal type tracks in the vein of Distant Dream? Would be curious to hear some of your samples.
I will definitely try it when my Steinberger project is done, but in my experience, when u put quite a bit of reverb, modulation effects for ambient stuff, it doesn't really matter the type of pickups as long as they can produce good clean tones.

I have a few pedals for this, but Hologram's Microcosm has to be on the top 3 choices for anyone interested in this kind of stuff.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I will definitely try it when my Steinberger project is done, but in my experience, when u put quite a bit of reverb, modulation effects for ambient stuff, it doesn't really matter the type of pickups as long as they can produce good clean tones.

I have a few pedals for this, but Hologram's Microcosm has to be on the top 3 choices for anyone interested in this kind of stuff.
Appreciate the feedback (and also from everyone else who replied to me directly)

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
BTW, have you guys used EMG bass pickups on a 7-string?

I have an EMG-35DC as a neck pickup in one of my guitars and it's punchy and articulate as hell.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

I have an EMG-35DC as a neck pickup in one of my guitars and it's punchy and articulate as hell.
Do they have the same soapbar route as an active? That sounds cool.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Do they have the same soapbar route as an active? That sounds cool.

Kinda the other way around. They didn't want to invest on tooling for 7-string pickups so they used their bass housings instead (forever cursing us with those humongous oversized routes). It wasn't until Duncan released the Blackouts in both sizes that they started to make properly sized actives.

TL;DR, Yes :lol:

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My 6 and 7 string Schecters both have 81/85 EMG's and they're very hot guitars that cut through the mix. I love EMG but I'm enjoying my ESP with passive Duncan's and there's no battery to go dead. I guess I don't go back to EMG, I'll just always own those guitars that have them, they're good tools to have.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Kinda the other way around. They didn't want to invest on tooling for 7-string pickups so they used their bass housings instead (forever cursing us with those humongous oversized routes). It wasn't until Duncan released the Blackouts in both sizes that they started to make properly sized actives.

TL;DR, Yes :lol:

Even then it's a half-assed passive sized. :lol:

But yeah IIRC the story with the EMG ERG pickups is that they started off a basically bass pickups with some tweaks (The 707 seems to be a 35DC with alnico magnets and maybe some preamp tweaks). It wasn't until the 81-7 a few years later that they actually tried to make the pickup similar to the 6-string counterpart. But they still used the soapbar housing because... reasons. :lol:

I'm actually curious to hear how a 35DC and 707 compares side by side. Tonally they seem to be similar; scooped mids, snappy highs, pretty big lows.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Even then it's a half-assed passive sized. :lol:

But yeah IIRC the story with the EMG ERG pickups is that they started off a basically bass pickups with some tweaks (The 707 seems to be a 35DC with alnico magnets and maybe some preamp tweaks). It wasn't until the 81-7 a few years later that they actually tried to make the pickup similar to the 6-string counterpart. But they still used the soapbar housing because... reasons. :lol:

I'm actually curious to hear how a 35DC and 707 compares side by side. Tonally they seem to be similar; scooped mids, snappy highs, pretty big lows.

I don't have a 707 with me right now to compare, but I'd say they're very different. I have them as a middle pickup (think deftones config), and it's still very bright and cutting. You can perfectly riff away with it, which wouldn't work with a 707 in that position. The 707 sounds way bigger and sweeter. I have it paired with an 81 and they compliment each other quite well.

Everyone seems to hate the 707, but I always liked it in the bridge. I've heard that growly low end with hi-end sheen in dozens of records and always reminds me of Nevermore. It works very well for leads, too. 707 / 60-7 combo was one of the most fun pickup combos I've ever had.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score

Since I have to replace the pickups in my S8, I’ve been thinking of trying the Jazz 40X that is basically a single coil. Feedback from EMG was that it would be in striking distance of the SX/HX singles, but for an 8 string.

I’ll drop feedback here if I get to that soon.

lewis

Reaction score
I checked out some Super 77 and Fat 55 pup demos and wow -
They sound incredible. Clanky as.
I'm going to get a Baritone 6er soon and I'm thinking a set of these would be sweet.
Anyone got Any fat 55 or super 77 low tuned experience? Like 8 string and lower tunings.

Cheers

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I checked out some Super 77 and Fat 55 pup demos and wow -
They sound incredible. Clanky as.
I'm going to get a Baritone 6er soon and I'm thinking a set of these would be sweet.
Anyone got Any fat 55 or super 77 low tuned experience? Like 8 string and lower tunings.

Cheers
@HeHasTheJazzHands is likely your dude there.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ve had a few weeks with that Gilmour Strat and the more I use the DG-20’s the more impressed I get. While I had them in that Classic 50’s Strat, I barely touched that guitar because the frets were in such rough shape. I’ve been playing the shit out of the Gilmour Strat the last few weeks, I keep meaning to dial in presets in the FM9 rig specific to it but I keep getting lost on one amp for 4 hours and play the entire night instead of doing the ‘work‘ part of it.

I wasn’t expecting how well they would do classic Strat/big neck pickup tones at all, nor was I expecting they’d pull off high gain metal until I switched to a Zakk Wylde/No More Tears-era preset. It’s like having a different culture of food every night.

And of course, they do the Gilmour thing.

Oh yeah, forgot my Spector has an EMG P/J set on it, there’s no better bass tone than a Spector with EMG’s, IMO.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The EMG P(J) tone is iconic. Kinda regret ditching them in my bass. :lol: Thinking about getting my J Bass modded to a P/J and throwing EMGs into it.
Also apparently when Gilmour used EMGS, he had them STUPID fucking low. So low that he had to get the guitar routed deeper since it was vintage '57 specs IIRC.

Dog Boy

Reaction score
laymbhwh.jpg

I dig the DG 20 set up. Not my all time greatest strat but it gets a great sound that no other single coil can get. Pushes the signal thru huge pedal boards too.
laymbhw.jpg

Protestheriphery

Reaction score
Recently acquired an LTD w the classic 81/60 set. This is my first time revisiting EMGs since 2014. Hence, it’s my first time trying them through my JVM. I didn’t have any expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised. The 81 is thick and warm. It’s a nice contrast to the spikiness of the Marshall. The 60 is surprisingly spanky and round sounding. I have no recollection how they sounded back in the day, in my prior LTD’s. I only chugged on the bridge anyway.

Lucifer66

Reaction score
I thought about trying EMGs, but I get a really good sound from my stock Seymour Duncan JB TB4 (Bridge) and Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N (Neck) pickups on my Jackson RR1-LH. Besides, I don't want to be on stage when the batteries crap out. I got enough batteries to deal with already.
RR1_White with Pinstripes.jpg

')