Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I am having a guitar built with a single 85 in the bridge. Hope I like it.

Thinking in going that route with my "new" Baretta... actually deciding if I like the non stock neck enough to mod the guitar or to buy a new one and sell this as cheap as I bought it.

85 in the bridge must be great, probably an 89 better for versatility...

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of the EMG Het Set. I switched to that from 81/60. The output is immense and they have so much character to them.
I could not agree more. EMG was never one of my favorite pickups (81, 85, 57....never cared too much for them) but I tried a Hetset and within 2 months I swapped those pickups into 8 of my guitars. I had the ebay seller I bought them from on text and speed dial like he was some sort of drug dealer.

lewis

Reaction score
I could not agree more. EMG was never one of my favorite pickups (81, 85, 57....never cared too much for them) but I tried a Hetset and within 2 months I swapped those pickups into 8 of my guitars. I had the ebay seller I bought them from on text and speed dial like he was some sort of drug dealer.
Do they negate the need for an OD infront or do you still go balls out with an OD infront of the amp too?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do they negate the need for an OD infront or do you still go balls out with an OD infront of the amp too?
If you're used to the 81, keep in mind the Het Set DOES have more output, but it also has a little bit bigger bass and low mids to them.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
No you can still use your OD. I wish I was better at describing what I like and don't like tone-wise but my basic philosophy on the Hetset is they are the EMG for people who don't like EMGs. It's weird because I am not a particular fan of Metallica's sound but I will take the bone breakers and then the Hetset over an 81 or 57 any day. And I'm not exaggerating how much I like them. Every guitar that had seymour duncans in, I ripped them out and put the Hetset in.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Completely random but thought I'd share. But I've learned that my guitar under high gain in Open C tuning with my 85 in the bridge, sounds amazing! Just hearing 6 note chords ring out as nicely as they do is pretty cool.

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I originally got an 85-X for my Dean V and did not like it at all, went to EMG's reverb page and got an EMG 81 for $50, sounds a lot better.

Post pics!
Still in progress!

Attachments

• received_1453747055082884.jpeg
    received_1453747055082884.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 11
  • received_2093763910785480.jpeg
    received_2093763910785480.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 10

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Don't Tell the Wife Guitars :lol:

He's great at communicating fr. Last set I bought from him we exchanged like 8 messages within 2hrs max

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I'm getting another SPC and EXG for my fourth Stratocaster.

I’ve spent a couple months with them and have barely touched another guitar since putting that Gilmour Strat together. I’ve barely even fucked around with Gilmour tones because all the other awesome Strat tones I’m getting with this set is too much fun.

There’s a LOT of variation to be found with those boosters, much, much more than I expected.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
ppp8.jpg

I posted a pic of these two elsewhere having just finished changing them from random SD's. I had tons of EMG's laying around and thought I would try 81 in the black and 85 in the red. They are essentially the same guitar but the red with the 85 sounds soooo much better so the black is going to get an 85 also

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Don't Tell the Wife Guitars :lol:

He's great at communicating fr. Last set I bought from him we exchanged like 8 messages within 2hrs max
I bought my last SPC and EXG from them. They reached out warning me of things, making sure I needed a 5 way and not a 3 way, etc. 6/5 stars.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I’ve spent a couple months with them and have barely touched another guitar since putting that Gilmour Strat together. I’ve barely even fucked around with Gilmour tones because all the other awesome Strat tones I’m getting with this set is too much fun.

There’s a LOT of variation to be found with those boosters, much, much more than I expected.
A lot of great tones. Buy a few strat pickguards, and experiment with various pickup combos.

View attachment 108013

I posted a pic of these two elsewhere having just finished changing them from random SD's. I had tons of EMG's laying around and thought I would try 81 in the black and 85 in the red. They are essentially the same guitar but the red with the 85 sounds soooo much better so the black is going to get an 85 also
Those are beastly.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'm thinking of putting the ABQ boosts from the ALX set back in my Ltds, then picking some passive EMGs. Not sure what pickups, though. May try a Marty set in one and the DMF Lars Set in another.

lewis

Reaction score
I have a 30inch baritone now and am obviously EMGs are high on the agenda again.

I was going to go crazy and try a dimebag set in this baritone but I forgot how over priced other companies were.
£255 for 2 pickups and no pots or anything?

An emg Set with everything needed to install them except a toggle switch for £100 less? EMG is still the best value for money imo.

So now the decision needs to be 57/66 set or super 77 zebra set.
Was thinking an RPC too for crazy Spank when needed.
Anyone got any thoughts on this stuff in a 30incher?

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a 30inch baritone now and am obviously EMGs are high on the agenda again.

I was going to go crazy and try a dimebag set in this baritone but I forgot how over priced other companies were.
£255 for 2 pickups and no pots or anything?

An emg Set with everything needed to install them except a toggle switch for £100 less? EMG is still the best value for money imo.

So now the decision needs to be 57/66 set or super 77 zebra set.
Was thinking an RPC too for crazy Spank when needed.
Anyone got any thoughts on this stuff in a 30incher?
Curious if this is that Subzero jazzmaster looking baritone that you got. if it is I'm curious on the quality of the guitar. As for which EMG set, if you are using this thing tuned way down I honestly would say why not the 81/85? That set does really well in low tunings and if anything I think they sound better when used from Drop B on down. Otherwise from the 2 sets you said the 57/66 would be the choice over the super 77's mainly because the 57/66 set has a lot more clarity which would work for tunings I'd imagine you would be going for with a 30 inch baritone

')