Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Anyone running their pickups at 24V? I want to get the switchable 9/24V kit for my 81, just a bit complicated in that I want to use the switch that already exists in the guitar. The only place I know to get the switchable stuff is from that 24v.com or whatever.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Anyone running their pickups at 24V? I want to get the switchable 9/24V kit for my 81, just a bit complicated in that I want to use the switch that already exists in the guitar. The only place I know to get the switchable stuff is from that 24v.com or whatever.
I do. I don't use the switchable thing, though.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So here's something cool and new from EMG.
Screenshot_20220529-190955.png

lewis

Reaction score
So here's something cool and new from EMG.View attachment 108397
Thats sick!!!

Wheres the info on these? Im not finding it on their website!
Also, makes getting guitars like the Squier Baritone (when you can find one) a serious option as a mod platform too now given these pickups exist!

These active or passive etc!?

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That looks like Staymetalray's guitar. Maybe check out his socials?

EDIT: Yep it's him :lol:

I for one am excited to hear how they sound. He's carved his own niche using his jazzmaster and that balaguer with the jazzmaster pick ups, playing in Drop F. It sounds gnarly. I didn't like the balaguer pick ups as much as the squier ones surprisingly. I think these EMG's should sound pretty killer, especially for what he's doing.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So Ray did a demo of them. High gain drop F tuning. For me the bridge pickup sounded like it had a wah pedal partially engaged the whole time so it wasn't the most pleasant sound. The neck pick up sounded round and fat. Definitely liked it. But the bridge was not my thing.

lewis

Reaction score
So Ray did a demo of them. High gain drop F tuning. For me the bridge pickup sounded like it had a wah pedal partially engaged the whole time so it wasn't the most pleasant sound. The neck pick up sounded round and fat. Definitely liked it. But the bridge was not my thing.

Holy shit this sounds killer. Right up my street!!!!!

Like whitechapel in a pickup.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Kind of a shame to only hear it at such a low tuning. I dig the look but I can't say the tone sounded good to me / concur with @Hoss632 about some wah sound that Ray might have liked as "clankiness"

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Just traded my Lundgren M6 set for an 81/60 set. I didn’t much care for whatever it was that the the Lundgrens are supposed to do. They upper mid spiked was quite awkward to play with, that’s for sure.

You can really hear it in this cover I did:

Last edited:

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I'd love to try a soapbar style 7 string version of that JazzMaster pickup. Hope they do one.

Zhysick

Reaction score

Yes about the wha thing... I could even hear Cliff Burton's Anaesthesia solo with that bridge pickup tone :lol: I'm 120% sure you can do an amazing cover of that bass solo with that guitar using these pickups... not my cup of tea.
What a shame, I was very excited for these pickups, maybe in a more normal tuning...

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
So I recently got a ESP MII original series, and to my surprise it has dual EMG 81's. I haven't spent too much time playing the neck pickup. What's the general consensus on an 81 in the neck?

lewis

Reaction score
So I recently got a ESP MII original series, and to my surprise it has dual EMG 81's. I haven't spent too much time playing the neck pickup. What's the general consensus on an 81 in the neck?
It's my favourite neck pickup.
SLAYS for solos.
And is perfectly balanced with the bridge...obviously

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

On 6 strings I prefer the 81 in the neck, it's a lot hotter than a typical neck pickup which means you can do a lot of mean harmonic stuff and it cuts like crazy.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Great if you want an absolutely clear neck pickup. Still does decent cleans but excels at shreddy shit.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

The bridge sounds like a JM pickup with the tone knob turned down pretty low.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Mostly shred stuff with 81 as a neck pickup. I'd say it'd fair better in a clean tone scenario with a Gibson scale length guitar.

')