Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The bridge sounds like a JM pickup with the tone knob turned down pretty low.
I have no experience unfortunately playing a JM pick up so I will 100% take your word for it. Ray has a squier baritone jazzmaster too that sounds awesome in Drop F with the stock pick ups. But he's a balaguer and EMG artist so it makes sense that he'll use this guitar as his main.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have no experience unfortunately playing a JM pick up so I will 100% take your word for it. Ray has a squier baritone jazzmaster too that sounds awesome in Drop F with the stock pick ups. But he's a balaguer and EMG artist so it makes sense that he'll use this guitar as his main.
JMs have a shit ton of brightness in the bridge. Combination of the single coils + 1meg pot. Judging by that video alone, it rolls of that high end tremendously.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
JMs have a shit ton of brightness in the bridge. Combination of the single coils + 1meg pot. Judging by that video alone, it rolls of that high end tremendously.
Having heard him play the squier a lot, plus this Balaguer with the stock JM style pick ups that came in it and now these, I can say that the EMG set sits inbetween the stock Squier set and the stock balaguer set in terms of brightness. The Squier set was the darkest, and the Balaguer was VERY bright. These have a nice middle ground to them. Funny enough, the more I listen to the video the more the voicing on the bridge pick up sounds good. I still think the neck pick up sounds fantastic.

PF Chang

Reaction score
I bought an Ibanez Iron Label with EMG's and intended to swap them out because actives are not my thing. I hadn't owned an 81 in almost 20 years. I left them in and won't ever change a thing. It's been a long time since I bought a guitar and left all the hardware intact.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Anyone run any of your EMGs straight to the output? No volume, no tone.

I'm guessing the difference was minimal or negligible due to them being active as compared to what you would get with passives.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I did that for a friend and noticed no tonal differences. We put a Killswitch in (the mind that clicks) to control the volume on/off though

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
So I recently got a ESP MII original series, and to my surprise it has dual EMG 81's. I haven't spent too much time playing the neck pickup. What's the general consensus on an 81 in the neck?

That anything you may like about it is outclassed by an EMG-60

Last edited:

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I played an ESP with an evertune and some EMGs at a Guitar Center. The cleans were sterile and surgical and into a dirty channel it was like the perfect bridge lead tone. Personally I like Fishmans

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
I just put this Lukather style set in my strat and couldn't be happier. Incredible pickups.

286220373_1690370141298587_7426394773741514562_n.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I like it well enough to not be in a hurry to change it out. But I’ll keep that in mind.
The 60 is still pretty middy but not to the extent the 81 is. The highs are more sparkly and there's a bit more low end. It's great if you want good cleans with power behind them but still have clarity under distortion.
FWIW I also like the 85 in the neck. I used to hate it, but you gotta crank the pickup REALLY fucking low for it to sound good. But it can sound good.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
I used to hate them but I had only had time to play and track the guitar with a 707 and now I'm starting to think something was wrong with it. I got my ESP in 2020 that came with the 707s and had already ordered Warpigs with the proper mounts to replace them. To my surprise the 707s sounded fine, nothing like what I had experienced previously. If I had not ordered the warpigs already I might have decided to save the money but I think soapbar pickups look awful anyways.

I love so many tones that were tracked with an 81, been dying to try one. One day I'll get an explorer and put an 81 in it for.. reasons..

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
The 60 is still pretty middy but not to the extent the 81 is. The highs are more sparkly and there's a bit more low end. It's great if you want good cleans with power behind them but still have clarity under distortion.
FWIW I also like the 85 in the neck. I used to hate it, but you gotta crank the pickup REALLY fucking low for it to sound good. But it can sound good.
Sounds pretty good. At some point I will replace the pickups as they are pretty used and show signs of their age. Maybe I will just change the neck one out first.

lewis

Reaction score
im bumping this purely for the sake of any new info on those newly teased Jazzmaster pickups ?

As well as suggestions for something in my humbucker equipped, 6 string, 30inch baritone.
Are the P90 style in normal humbucker housings any good? Kind of want something twangy and disgusting in this guitar
EDIT: If the Jazzmaster style pups drop soon I could always try a pickguard swap and put them in if the routes under the guard are big enough

Last edited:

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
im bumping this purely for the sake of any new info on those newly teased Jazzmaster pickups ?

As well as suggestions for something in my humbucker equipped, 6 string, 30inch baritone.
Are the P90 style in normal humbucker housings any good? Kind of want something twangy and disgusting in this guitar
Seen nothing other than Ray's video on the jazzmaster pick ups. Only p90ish sound I can think of is the 58.

lewis

Reaction score
Seen nothing other than Ray's video on the jazzmaster pick ups. Only p90ish sound I can think of is the 58.
same. Thats annoying.
Hope they announce them soon. EMG are overdue no products. I dont really class signature pickups

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Whats the most painless and cheapest way to direct mount an EMG? All the small woodscrews i have here are wrong thread.

')