Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
^Jari from Wintersun has a JH bridge right now after singing praises for the 81 for years. He has a review of them in his instagram page. Even Misha, who hates actives, likes the JH.

Just try it. With the quick connects and their 30 day return policy, you cant lose.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The Hetset is on it’s way to me. My wife will probs lose her shit. But I’ll just turn my amp up.
^Jari from Wintersun has a JH bridge right now after singing praises for the 81 for years. He has a review of them in his instagram page. Even Misha, who hates actives, likes the JH.

Just try it. With the quick connects and their 30 day return policy, you cant lose.

lewis

Reaction score
View attachment 75158 I hope one day Lewis and Mass defect and c7 get a chance to try the Carpenter set (correctly wired, WITH boost engaged).... that’s like exactly why i went with Carpenter [i dont listen to the deftones; i dont know Carpenter as a player; IOW I’m not a fan of his in any sense] , the sound from the videos and the explanations and then talking to Michael, the Carpenter bridge Is the modern with heightened upper mids and higher output. Instead of a scoop like this [if you will, forgive my drawing]

Aside from 1 guitar, all my others are 6ers bro. Would have probably already tried to pick up the carpenter 6 set if they were still available.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Aside from 1 guitar, all my others are 6ers bro. Would have probably already tried to pick up the carpenter 6 set if they were still available.
I see some places still have them in stock, but man they're $260. I had no idea they cost that much. Dang, that's a lot of money for pickups. Perhaps I've just not looked into pickups lately.

lewis

Reaction score
I see some places still have them in stock, but man they're $260. I had no idea they cost that much. Dang, that's a lot of money for pickups. Perhaps I've just not looked into pickups lately.

Yeah its getting out of hand.
I remember when under £200 used to annoy me because i dont believe out of principle pickups shpuld be that expensive.

Fast track to now and im pretty sure from memory i paid around £240 for my fishmans. Maybe a little less.

Joke

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I thought he started using the 57/66 set? He swore on some comparison that the 57/66 was a godsend or something. :lol:

And yeah, prices have been going up all over. EMG's metalworks shit costs a pretty penny, some of the Fishman shit reaches almost $300 for a set, DiMarzio had a prirce increase across the board. I think Duncan did as well.

lewis

Reaction score
I thought he started using the 57/66 set? He swore on some comparison that the 57/66 was a godsend or something. :lol:

And yeah, prices have been going up all over. EMG's metalworks shit costs a pretty penny, some of the Fishman shit reaches almost $300 for a set, DiMarzio had a prirce increase across the board. I think Duncan did as well.

Think everyone should start buying used until they get the message and lower them.
I mean thats commonly more money than entire guitars.

Absolute banter

Reaction score
Think everyone should start buying used until they get the message and lower them.
I mean thats commonly more money than entire guitars.

Absolute banter
Hey thats A smart idea lew
Very sharp very sharp indeed

should we start a “BUY USED EMG PICKUP EXCHANGE” post or thread or can we ask the mods for a sticky/wiki to do this

I think this is one way this sites influence can be used to make the companies do what we want and not the other way around !!!

great idea @lewis !

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Or, just search the site's classifieds where sales and/or trades occur, where I purchase my POD HD500X, sold my ESP H-207, and where others do the same thing daily. That seems to be the most appropriate place to do such activity.

Reaction score
Or, just search the site's classifieds where sales and/or trades occur, where I purchase my POD HD500X, sold my ESP H-207, and where others do the same thing daily. That seems to be the most appropriate place to do such activity.
It could be put in the classifieds ....wherever, pickups , classified, whatever...

point is - it’s a great idea and should be proposed to the mods

the appropriate area for an EMG pickup exchange is its own thread, not a general classifieds or search....you guys just can’t stand my awesomeness... i mean you are just fueling my desire to fulfill your projection of obnoxiousness

lewis

Reaction score
Hey thats A smart idea lew
Very sharp very sharp indeed

should we start a “BUY USED EMG PICKUP EXCHANGE” post or thread or can we ask the mods for a sticky/wiki to do this

I think this is one way this sites influence can be used to make the companies do what we want and not the other way around !!!

great idea @lewis !

We could all rotate pickups around to try similar to how companies send youtube reviewers one of their products - then reviewer sends it onto the next reviewer.

Could work i guess.
Sick of just buckling to these companies demands because they think we are desperate and just pay whatever they want.

Like these new fishman bass pickups. Arent they nearly $300 or did i see that wrong?

Absolutely, astronomically, expensive.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I tried selling something like last year and it got absolutely zero interest. I think an EMG exchange thread for used EMGs would be a good idea.

Reaction score
Exactly. Dude you got it

let’s say you’ve had your 81/85 set for years and you wanna try 57/66 set

turns out another SSO member HAS a set and wants to exchange for 81/85

instead of EMG making the sick profit, post to the exchange and just swap; shipping is a flat $8 from USPS

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA(@lewis inspired it so credit shared with lew)

PS I WOuld start off the first trade but the only quick connects I have are for my 81-85 8 string set and I just got that so I’m not able to yet ..... but if anyone has 8 string blackouts or fishman, I’m ready to possible trade(any 8 string players?)

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Exactly. Dude you got it

let’s say you’ve had your 81/85 set for years and you wanna try 57/66 set

turns out another SSO member HAS a set and wants to exchange for 81/85

instead of EMG making the sick profit, post to the exchange and just swap; shipping is a flat $8 from USPS

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA(@lewis inspired it so credit shared with lew)
@MaxOfMetal @Randy How about it? A for sale/for trade exchange group type thread would be cool.

lewis

Reaction score
I think it makes the most sense for us all to be honest. I understand its tough for companies but they do need to realise that the economy, and its condition - they will use to justify any price increases, will also apply to consumers.

I dont just have disposable income to keep dropping on pickups.
Imagine if i had 4 six string guitars i needed to outfit with 4 sets of Fishman Moderns ready for a tour - would be around $980. Just for pickups?

Dear god

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I think it makes the most sense for us all to be honest. I understand its tough for companies but they do need to realise that the economy, and its condition - they will use to justify any price increases, will also apply to consumers.

I dont just have disposable income to keep dropping on pickups.
Imagine if i had 4 six string guitars i needed to outfit with 4 sets of Fishman Moderns ready for a tour - would be around $980. Just for pickups?

Dear god
Yeah, seriously. I think EMGs get the job done well enough that hype beast pickups (BKP, Fishman Fluence, etc) are cool if you can spend the extra money, but I don't see an equal increase, percentage wise, in tone to justify it. Like if the pickup is x percent more expensive but the tone is equally improved, then fine. Otherwise, I'll just search for some used EMGs with the quik connect pins.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@MaxOfMetal @Randy How about it? A for sale/for trade exchange group type thread would be cool.

Have at it.

risk_101_2.png

Reaction score
Make it simple man - well call it the “ACTIVE PICKUP EXCHANGE”
Basic rules = (1) NO STEALING (no working with Adam Howard of TX for example)
(2) everyone pays their own shipping back and forth, that’s $8 USPS flat rate small box
(3) you can exchange with another member with the permission of the original owner (meaning if you exchange with someone and hate the ones you got, but someone else wants to try them, you can ask the original owner who you exchanged with if you can trade with the next dude, if he says yes, cool, if not, then you‘ ll have to return to original owner and work it out another way
(4) buy out option possible: if you love the pickup and the other guys loves the other ones, you can just keep/buy them from each other in the barter sense
(5) we keep a repository of the owners, the emails, and the addresses so no scammers/fraud can occur [this will be a locked and hidden wiki accesible only by the mod]
*(6) obviously if someone damages or “loses” them, obviously you just buy a replacement , simple

Can’t think of anything else, [besides I opted for “active pickup exchange” so people with SD BO, Fishman, can partake if they wish]but if anyone has any ideas, please expound

EDIT - oops max already OK’d it.....Randy and Max are the f’n Man....seriously, THANK YOU MAX and RANDY!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is very very promising and feels good.

I feel like i need to go and listen to Rage against the machine now haha.

Thanks guys!
I knew this idea would pump you up Lew

First thing I thought was: Lewis is off the wall right now, like a kid in a candy shop! Lol GOOD! IM HAPPY FOR YOU DUDE

I think this thing will be a great addition to SSO, I think it’ll also be great for us who desire such a trade/accessibility, and I think it’ll possibly make the active companies start to open their eyes-the RIGHT way, this time lol

Alright! Nice way to start the Christmas/Hanukkah season!

')