Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Tune it to Eb. It would sound rad.

Edit: never mind I responded on the previous page and didn't see there was another page with replies.

gnoll

Reaction score
I have EMGs in maple neck throughs with alder wings. Sounds good.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
No turning back now. :lol:

Gonna finish tomorrow. There was some fuckups installing these, so I'm spent. :rofl:

2019-12-28 22.40.45.jpg

Mathemagician

Reaction score
81/81 or 57/66 and let’s all go home.

Though I do want to try those single coil SA’s.

wakjob

Reaction score
So...

Who's using EMG passives? Namely the H1 or H2's?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
When I said this was hell to install, I meant the pickup tabs were enlarged for direct mounting. And my Superhawk obviously has pickup rings... So... :lol:

I lost my nuts that could be glued or soldered onto the tabs to make them threadable again. So, if you have a dremel or pliers that can cut metal, you can do like I did and go through your bin of absolutely shitty/dead stock pickups, remove the tabs from those, and either glue or solder them under the old tabs. Worked like a charm.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Okay so I got curious and swapped the 81x for the 85x
...81x went right back into the bridge. :lol:
Lol I hate the 81 in the bridge. Can't add what isn't there, and what isn't there, is much of any bass. If I need to cut bass to tighten up the 85, I can just use a tube screamer.

gnoll

Reaction score
Yeah I never really "got" the 85 in bridge. Or at all :p

I mean maybe if you're after a bit of a different flavor, but the bite and articulation of the 81 works so well for high gain, it seems like a shame to lose that for the more woolly 85.

gnoll

Reaction score
Lol I hate the 81 in the bridge. Can't add what isn't there, and what isn't there, is much of any bass. If I need to cut bass to tighten up the 85, I can just use a tube screamer.

I guess that's true, but you can add bass later in the chain and end up with a ballsy rather than muddy tone. I've never been wanting to add bass pre gain, only cut.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I guess that's true, but you can add bass later in the chain and end up with a ballsy rather than muddy tone. I've never been wanting to add bass pre gain, only cut.
Well, I tend to go for a Marshall style tone, which I don't think has much bass usually. Furthermore, I think the 81 is a double edged sword for EMG, and has done as much damage to their brand as it has good. The notion that EMGs are sterile, lifeless, only good for metal, etc. is because of the 81 and how people set them up in guitars (ie, as close to the strings as possible), and set up used (ie, tube screamer into a metal amp).

Latest posts

')