Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Inspired by this thread, I went and fished out an EMG 81/85 set I'd left at my parents when I was up at new year. Put them in an Ibanez SZ4020 that's been having issues finding a good set: such a boomy low end, even with apparently tight, bright pickups. Still need to give it a while to adjust, but first impression is pretty great. Much tighter, but without a harsh high end.

Now considering EMGs for my 7 string, which has been another problem child for me. Currently got Fishman Tosin's and it's a bit on the grating side. Loads of highs and high mids.

Lower them a bunch to get rid of boomy low end.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lyonk55

Reaction score
Lower them a bunch to get rid of boomy low end.

Sorry, I meant the EMGs seem to have fixed the low end issues the other pickups had. Previously it had an Alpha/Omega set and if they were high enough to get the saturation I wanted, the low end went weird. But if I backed them off to save the low end, I lost the power. So far, the EMG81 has a better balance here.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant the EMGs seem to have fixed the low end issues the other pickups had. Previously it had an Alpha/Omega set and if they were high enough to get the saturation I wanted, the low end went weird. But if I backed them off to save the low end, I lost the power. So far, the EMG81 has a better balance here.
Nice! Still though, messing around with pickups height greatly varies the response of them. Might want to just for fun of it.

lyonk55

Reaction score
Nice! Still though, messing around with pickups height greatly varies the response of them. Might want to just for fun of it.

Yeah, I like to mess with it every now and then. Either "just to see" or my brain has decided everything sounds bad today, which is annoyingly often. :p

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Man I almost bought the A/O set. Glad to see I didn't.

When I use EMGs, I tend to do the recommended deal of jacking the pickup height as high as possible. It works perfect for me

Given how EMGs work, it does make sense why this is recommended; the pickups themselves are extremely low output, while the preamp does the actual amplifying.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
.... or my brain has decided everything sounds bad today, which is annoyingly often. :p
I have those days too. I've learned not to touch anything on those days, but sometimes I still do anyways.

lyonk55

Reaction score
Man I almost bought the A/O set. Glad to see I didn't.

When I use EMGs, I tend to do the recommended deal of jacking the pickup height as high as possible. It works perfect for me

Given how EMGs work, it does make sense why this is recommended; the pickups themselves are extremely low output, while the preamp does the actual amplifying.

To be fair, I wouldn't write off the A/O set based on that guitar. It also didn't like Bareknuckle Nailbombs, Miracle Man, Fishman Classics or the stock Duncan/Ibz. It was described as "cursed" in the thread I posted on here for advice. I haven't tried them in anything else yet and could see them working well in a guitar that's warm sounding, just not the bassy monster that Ibanez apparently is.

Edika

Reaction score
I got a 81/85 set on Saturday with a solderless kit and tried to put them in my LP. Not sure what the issue was but I wasn't getting any sound. I put them in my Jackson Kelly and yeap got the EMG grind again!

Only problem is the pots are long shaft and while they're not sticking out of the cavity they're a bit higher from the body. Anyone interested in trading me their reglar length shaft solderless volume and tone knobs? Two of them cost here almost as much as the whole solderless kit!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I got a 81/85 set on Saturday with a solderless kit and tried to put them in my LP. Not sure what the issue was but I wasn't getting any sound. I put them in my Jackson Kelly and yeap got the EMG grind again!

Only problem is the pots are long shaft and while they're not sticking out of the cavity they're a bit higher from the body. Anyone interested in trading me their reglar length shaft solderless volume and tone knobs? Two of them cost here almost as much as the whole solderless kit!

You could get another set of nuts and adjust the height that way. Have one of them on the middle of the shaft so it acts like a stopper. Or use a fuck ton of washers. :lol:

Edika

Reaction score
You could get another set of nuts and adjust the height that way. Have one of them on the middle of the shaft so it acts like a stopper. Or use a fuck ton of washers. :lol:

They did come with the nuts and I actually have them like that. I have put the nuts so they are popping out on the desired height. It is of course working well but if they were closer to the body then they would be more somewhat more space in the cavity. The Kelly cavity is surprisingly narrow lol. My soloist electronics cavity is like a boat compared to that lol!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I've had problems with EMGs too close to the strings.

I was so surprised and annoyed once I lowered them and they sounded better.

"But, but...!! They're SUPPOSED to be close to the strings!!"
I prefer mine backed off a bit. I start with them flush with the pickup rings (mine are different heights), and then adjust them up a few semi turns from there until I get the tone I want. When I go too far, it'll be obvious to my ear tonally, then I'll back it off a smidge. Takes some time, but it's worth it.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

Never, EVER buy their parts piece by piece. It's a waste of money. Buy the full solderless kit because it's good to have spares.

Edika

Reaction score
$10 for a pot? That's actually a good price. The cheapest I could find in the UK is £18.5 or I can from Thomman that has it for £14 something but with a €10 shipping cost lol!

I think in this case paying about £39 for a wireless kit plus shipping makes more sense.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Some goober named @HeHasTheJazzHands. What a tool. :lol:
tenor.gif

')