Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I finally installed a set of Super 77’s into my ESP E-II FR-7. Notable differences compared to the Fat 55’s:

- Hotter/brighter in the high-mids and treble frequencies

- slight harshness in the high-mids and treble frequencies that really make the tone cut through in a high-gain setting

- less compression which results in more dynamic cleans with a more articulate pick attack

Overall they’re a decent choice for a versatile active pickup. Looking forward to trying out the Root set, which are the RA’s answer to the 81/60 combo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I finally installed a set of Super 77’s into my ESP E-II FR-7. Notable differences compared to the Fat 55’s:

- Hotter/brighter in the high-mids and treble frequencies

- slight harshness in the high-mids and treble frequencies that really make the tone cut through in a high-gain setting

- less compression which results in more dynamic cleans with a more articulate pick attack

Overall they’re a decent choice for a versatile active pickup. Looking forward to trying out the Root set, which are the RA’s answer to the 81/60 combo.
I'm curious about these. How would you compare the volume output of them compared to a 707 or 60 type pickups? I noticed the output voltage is like double the normal EMG's but the impedence is 3k rather than 10k. How would you compare the noise foor on them. Is it the same or hiigher etc?

lewis

Reaction score
My plan this year is to grab super 77s and the new 57/66TW set

I really really need them to offer different colours for their pickups though. 57/66 in white for example.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm curious about these. How would you compare the volume output of them compared to a 707 or 60 type pickups? I noticed the output voltage is like double the normal EMG's but the impedence is 3k rather than 10k. How would you compare the noise foor on them. Is it the same or hiigher etc?

The Fat 55’s are pretty damn noisy. In addition, they don’t do high-gain too well since they are so dark. At least not for any type of high-gain I play. Probably the best clean tone out of any EMG I’ve tried though. Even the bridge sounds quite lovely clean.

The Super 77’s are less noisy, but there’s a trade off. The Super 77’s are much hotter, making the bridge really only usable for crunch, lead, and high-gain (though this works well for me). The upper midrange really does well for note articulation and cutting through a mix. They may sound closer to a Bareknuckle set like the Aftermath. The neck sounds fluid, great for leads and solos. Though it doesn’t clean up as well as the Fat 55, but I suppose that’s why the Hot 70 set exists (77 in the Bridge and 55 in the Neck). The Super 77 is definitely for someone who wants less noise than a traditional passive, but with more dynamics than an a traditional active.

I’ve used 707’s, 707TWX’s, 57/66 Set, and the 81TWX/89TWX combo. The Super 77 is my favorite EMG Set by far. If I had to change anything, it would be to clean up the neck pickup slightly and potentially lower the output on the bridge. The Fat 55’s have beautiful cleans, but they aren’t worth the noise for me.

I recently just got a guitar with the Fluence Moderns in them. So I’ll compare the RA’s with those once I get back home.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The Fat 55’s are pretty damn noisy. In addition, they don’t do high-gain too well since they are so dark. At least not for any type of high-gain I play. Probably the best clean tone out of any EMG I’ve tried though. Even the bridge sounds quite lovely clean.

The Super 77’s are less noisy, but there’s a trade off. The Super 77’s are much hotter, making the bridge really only usable for crunch, lead, and high-gain (though this works well for me). The upper midrange really does well for note articulation and cutting through a mix. They may sound closer to a Bareknuckle set like the Aftermath. The neck sounds fluid, great for leads and solos. Though it doesn’t clean up as well as the Fat 55, but I suppose that’s why the Hot 70 set exists (77 in the Bridge and 55 in the Neck). The Super 77 is definitely for someone who wants less noise than a traditional passive, but with more dynamics than an a traditional active.

I’ve used 707’s, 707TWX’s, 57/66 Set, and the 81TWX/89TWX combo. The Super 77 is my favorite EMG Set by far. If I had to change anything, it would be to clean up the neck pickup slightly and potentially lower the output on the bridge. The Fat 55’s have beautiful cleans, but they aren’t worth the noise for me.

I recently just got a guitar with the Fluence Moderns in them. So I’ll compare the RA’s with those once I get back home.

Have you tried a Het Set and compared it against the Super 77?

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you tried a Het Set and compared it against the Super 77?
I haven’t. But from what I’ve heard, the Het Set sounds like a more traditional active pickup. Whereas the Super 77’s are more like a traditional passive with the benefits of active technology.

Mike

Reaction score
Anyone have a spare solderless kit they'd like to sell me for cheap? :kiss:

Does anyone prefer the het set to an 81-60 set?

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Does anyone prefer the het set to an 81-60 set?

I do. By far. The HET feels thicker, sounds brighter and bigger but that's not for everyone. If you think the 81 is a bit thin, but you like the eq and the tightness, the Het gives you more heft and frequencies to work with.

And it is much quieter than the 81, for sure.

Mike

Reaction score

I'll look into them, thanks.

I do. By far. The HET feels thicker, sounds brighter and bigger but that's not for everyone. If you think the 81 is a bit thin, but you like the eq and the tightness, the Het gives you more heft and frequencies to work with.

And it is much quieter than the 81, for sure.

That's what I like to hear. I'm going to have to pick up a set to try sooner than later.

gnoll

Reaction score
Did you see this? I think this guy makes really good comparisons.

I've not played the het set myself, but based on comparisons like these I prefer the 81 to the het set, because I think it sounds more aggressive and clamps down harder on the palm mutes. The het set seems more open and less congested-sounding though, and I can see people preferring that if they're more into that kind of tone.

Necky379

Reaction score
In the video:
Up until the last clip they both sounded equal. The 81 was better in the last but the riff sounded more Maiden than Metallica and it’s a Hetfield pickup. Cleans, the Hetfield didn’t sound as good as the 81 when he was digging into the strings but with a light touch it was way nicer.

That being said I really like 81’s, a lot. I’ve never played Hetfield’s. Just commenting on the video.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I had the Het Set, 81x, and 81. Prefer the 81.

Het Set had lots of output and low end, but not as much mid range grit. I've seen people say "oh it has a lot of low end but is still tight!"but I didnt think it was very tight. The 81x also lacked the grit, and was also lower output and thinner.

Loved the Het Set neck tho. It's like a more 3D sounding 60. So far my favorite EMG neck pickup.

Next on the list is the Daemoneum set and the 77 bridge

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
^True. The JH is not that tight. Nothing beats the 81 when it comes to that. But you can get the idea and the difference in tightness in this video:

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone know when the new 57/66TW sets are going to be available in shops and also why we dont ever get single coil pickups that match most of their humbuckers?

I.e 57 humbucker bridge with a 66 single coil version in neck

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone know when the new 57/66TW sets are going to be available in shops and also why we dont ever get single coil pickups that match most of their humbuckers?

I.e 57 humbucker bridge with a 66 single coil version in neck

They’re already available on Amazon. Not sure about other shops.

Maybe because many humbuckers can be wired for coil splitting? Perhaps there just isn’t a demand for single coil versions though. Personally I’d like to see more multi-voiced sets. Single coil versions of popular humbuckers would be cool though.

')