Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
Poooop. Doesn't EMG make an 81 in a passive style housing?
its long since been a request of people but as far as Im aware, no they dont.

You have the retroactive stuff and you get passive mount versions for 7 and 8 string versions, but you dont have rounded 6 string versions of any of their Humbucker pickups bar the Retro active stuff.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Anybody experience with the 81x?
Yeah, I've got one in right now and it's great. A lot of body and chunk without being overbearing, very hot without being too muddy, and still bright and cutting. It really takes the coldness out of the clean sound and some mud off the driven sound. Extremely dynamic too despite the power. I like it more than Fishman moderns and I do really like the moderns.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got one in right now and it's great. A lot of body and chunk without being overbearing, very hot without being too muddy, and still bright and cutting. It really takes the coldness out of the clean sound and some mud off the driven sound. Extremely dynamic too despite the power. I like it more than Fishman moderns and I do really like the moderns.
Thank you for answering!
I really dig the Modern as much as my 81. But a tad more dynamics would have been candy to my ears.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thank you for answering!
I really dig the Modern as much as my 81. But a tad more dynamics would have been candy to my ears.

Have you tried the 18v mod or even the 24v mod? I felt like the X-series changed more than just dynamics.

While he liked the 81x, I personally didnt. It was too smooth for my taste. You lost that signature attack and tightness the OG 81 gives you.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Biggest problem I might face is routing an extra cavity since Dean does not provide any space at all in the control cavity. But I'd love to hear the 18v mod. What changes between the 18 and 24v mod?

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Have you tried the 18v mod or even the 24v mod? I felt like the X-series changed more than just dynamics.

While he liked the 81x, I personally didnt. It was too smooth for my taste. You lost that signature attack and tightness the OG 81 gives you.

Yeah I should've mentioned that it loses some of the raw edge the 81 has, it is less aggressive but most things are. Still really pissed off but more controlled. I also like my amps pretty hairy and with a lot of presence/gain so it suits that better. If you're looking to really push an amp go plain 81, you need the compression and extra power.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll stick with the OG 81.
I really hope they will release a TW version of the 60. I'm not too fond of the 85 (or 89). But ESP offers a few models with the 60TWR in their new line up. Fingers crossed.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Really into how these brushed black chrome covers look :metal:. Everytime I've tried passives I've found myself going back to the 81/85 set so I'm excited to try the 57/66. Whenever USPS delivers the rest of my parts :lol:
PXL_20210101_004915673.jpg

Reaction score
It's been so long since I've even touched an EMG equipped guitar that after reading this thread I was considering trying it again. I don't know anyone with and EMG loaded guitar and I certainly wasn't going to buy a new guitar or pickup set.

Then I remembered I had DIs that used the same model of guitar I used to own back in the day, equipped with an 81.

So I've had this DI for a while now and I always wondered wtf that metallic clang and super defined top end was about. Clean, the DI sounded super clangy. With distortion it was more of the same while being nowhere near as fat sounding as my personal DIs.

Realized the DI was done with an 81. I do NOT like those pickups.

Welp, guess that saved me the trouble of actually testing it myself. EMGs seem cool in theory but I think I'll stick to passives.

lewis

Reaction score
It's been so long since I've even touched an EMG equipped guitar that after reading this thread I was considering trying it again. I don't know anyone with and EMG loaded guitar and I certainly wasn't going to buy a new guitar or pickup set.

Then I remembered I had DIs that used the same model of guitar I used to own back in the day, equipped with an 81.

So I've had this DI for a while now and I always wondered wtf that metallic clang and super defined top end was about. Clean, the DI sounded super clangy. With distortion it was more of the same while being nowhere near as fat sounding as my personal DIs.

Realized the DI was done with an 81. I do NOT like those pickups.

Welp, guess that saved me the trouble of actually testing it myself. EMGs seem cool in theory but I think I'll stick to passives.

I will add, ive had EMG's in loads of guitars and they all sound slightly different. Its always the same ballpark obviously but tone wood even with EMGs is real.
They dont make every guitar sound identical.
And in some guitars, they dont really work. This DI thing COULD be an example. Something to bare in mind.

I had an 81 in an all mahogany/rosewood guitar once (large body shape ala Explorer type) and to me, it was pretty dark sounding.

Reaction score
I will add, ive had EMG's in loads of guitars and they all sound slightly different. Its always the same ballpark obviously but tone wood even with EMGs is real.
They dont make every guitar sound identical.
And in some guitars, they dont really work. This DI thing COULD be an example. Something to bare in mind.

I had an 81 in an all mahogany/rosewood guitar once (large body shape ala Explorer type) and to me, it was pretty dark sounding.

Nah..an 81 is an 81 and I hate the sound of them

lewis

Reaction score
Nah..an 81 is an 81 and I hate the sound of them
have you tried a 57 ? or an 85 ?

Both remove that top end clang you dont like. Tbh, I mostly attribute that top end you dislike with Ceramic magnets which the 81 is.

Alnico always seems rounder and smoother to me and avoids that (unless you use plenty of EQ adjusting in the signal chain)

')