Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I was wondering... Do you guys have guitars with EMG81 and EMG81-7? I see everyone loves the 81 but really couldn't get along with the 81-7. Perhaps they're different? I know that happens with a lot of pickups...
I like the 85-7 in the bridge a bit more than the 81-7. I found that I like both the 81-7 and 60-7 in the neck.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
FJ73GSKH461WTUL.LARGE_.jpg
I actually use two of these weird 12v batteries. 21A or some shit like that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I see, the 24V Mod? Interesting. Is it your default EMG config?
Yeah. I wouldn't buy the cheaper fake ones though. They're apparently not rated for 24v or the correct type of battery. They're rated for 3v I think. The version I have is rated for 24v and has thick enough wiring to handle it.

jonsick

Reaction score
Full on EMG user here. Straight up no-fuss 81 and 85 in 9v sets. I think most of my guitars are in this configuration. I did play with 18v and the like, but I prefer the sound of 9v. Just check your battery with a DMM every restring, make sure you're over 8.8v on the battery as anything below that is when they tend to sound weird.

My 7 strings have 81-7h and 85-7h apart from the EII Arrow-7 which came with the 57/66 set. I like both fine. I do sometimes moonlight back to passives, but EMG just does what I want it to do every single time. Regardless of the style of music I'm playing.

The only one I never got on with was the EMG 60. It just seemed too weak to me.

I also tend not to use the solderless sets. I find that they can be noisy if you haven't quite installed them right, really need a shielded cavity, and some of the interconnects are quite long (which lends to the noise) and it can look like a rat's nest in the control cavity. I'm a simple man, happiest with a single volume and 3-way toggle, but even then you can get some mega nests in there with just that. I prefer just straight soldered connections. Luckily I have a nice stock of 25k pots which does me fine, but there you go.

I've not noticed huge differences between the 7 and 6 string EMG 81 variants. Nothing that made me wince anyway.

The only passives I like are the DiMarzio Super-Distortion, Duncan JB Antiquity, Duncan Jazz and the Fender Fat-60s.

My Charvel Satchell came with Fishman pickups which were all well and nice. I did swap them out for - you guessed it - EMGs. It's just my sound!

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
Yeah. I wouldn't buy the cheaper fake ones though. They're apparently not rated for 24v or the correct type of battery. They're rated for 3v I think. The version I have is rated for 24v and has thick enough wiring to handle it.
$30 for a complete snap in, no-work voltage mod? Putting it on the list for the Hellraiser.

Necky379

Reaction score
I like the 85-7 in the bridge a bit more than the 81-7. I found that I like both the 81-7 and 60-7 in the neck.

I'm surprised the 81-7 and 81 aren't more popular in the neck, imo they sound really good there. The 85 in the neck thing i never understood.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm surprised the 81-7 and 81 aren't more popular in the neck, imo they sound really good there. The 85 in the neck thing i never understood.

Same. Fucking Zakk Wylde. :lol:

The 60 and 81 are much better. The 60 for smoother sounds and cleans, and the 81 for cutting leads.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm kinda surprised the 60 isn't more popular in the bridge. I absolutely love it there. It reminded me of an 81 but just dialed back a bit.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I tried it. It's very hi-fi in the high end and more open in the low end. While the 81 is more of a br00tal sledgehammer, the 60 is smoother with a very interesting snappy high end and scooped midrange.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I tried it. It's very hi-fi in the high end and more open in the low end. While the 81 is more of a br00tal sledgehammer, the 60 is smoother with a very interesting snappy high end and scooped midrange.
Doesn't sound like something I'd like. I'll just stick with the 85 in the bridge, methinks.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like something I'd like. I'll just stick with the 85 in the bridge, methinks.

If I were to describe it

85: Pure low mid sledgehammer
81: High mid razorblade
60: Very broad EQ range.

TBH, I had a Bill Lawrence L500XL, and I felt the 60 was closer to that than the 81. But the L500XL was much more growly and aggressive than the 60. The 60 was more tame and smooth.

Luafcm

Reaction score
I posted a thread way back about installing EMG's into a KV2 Skulls guitar. I just ordered Dimarzio's to go into that guitar

...but yea, I'm keeping the EMG's just in case! Clearly I am fickle

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
If I were to describe it

85: Pure low mid sledgehammer
81: High mid razorblade
60: Very broad EQ range.

TBH, I had a Bill Lawrence L500XL, and I felt the 60 was closer to that than the 81. But the L500XL was much more growly and aggressive than the 60. The 60 was more tame and smooth.
The 85 is also less harsh/more warm. With a mid heavy 80s hair metal tone, I prefer the 85. I also strongly dislike the idea of not being able to turn off the "internal tube screamer" that an 81 has. I prefer to wear too many layers of clothing, get hot, and be able to take a layer off. Compared to being out and about when it gets cold and not having a jacket, etc., extra layers are preferable. This way I can go thinner or thicker with a pedal at my feet.

Necky379

Reaction score
Same. Fucking Zakk Wylde. :lol:

The 60 and 81 are much better.

SO much better :)

I know what you mean though. EMG was selling the Zakk Wylde set (still is? Idk), my first introduction to EMG’s was the loaded Kirk Hammet pickguard and that was double 81’s. I dropped that in a strat. Over the years I’ve figured out 81-7’s but still would never take an 85 over an 81 in the neck. 81’s and Pearly Gates are my all time favorite neck pickups, I’ve never heard anything that could top those two in the neck. I really think if they charged 120$ for the Pearly Gates while saying it was made in a Transylvanian castle and if the 81 came out in 2017 instead of being old news they’d get more love.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Don't really want to start it's own thread, and it is off topic, but I dunno why I have a bunch of other pedals. An SD-1 -> BD-2 is great separate or stacked. Stacked, they sound like a kick ass Marshall esque tone.