Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Ok. I just got off the phone with EMG. They aren't doing custom jobs right now and are maxed out in their product line. NO plans for a 60-7a right now but they will pass it up the line and see what happens. They said there has been interest in having one so one may come out in the future. They said it's more complicated than just putting an alnico inside one. They need to calibrate it or something.
"Pass it up the line" = roundfile'd.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
I've just removed the crappy veneer and refinished with 'Shou Sugi Ban' charring and oiling technique my old eBay project RG... Now equipped with EMG 81 and 85. Chrome gotoh will move to the next project when I get round to purchasing a black one. Waiting on strap pins and metal dome knobs.

This is the first time I've used the solder less connectors, pots, jack and switch. Any other EMG pickup I've had in the past was the old type. Once I got my head around the config, it was so much more convenient to wire together and eliminates my shitty soldering technique. I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't gone down this kind of route.

Attachments

• IMG_20210110_224453__01.jpg
    IMG_20210110_224453__01.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 49

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've just removed the crappy veneer and refinished with 'Shou Sugi Ban' charring and oiling technique my old eBay project RG... Now equipped with EMG 81 and 85. Chrome gotoh will move to the next project when I get round to purchasing a black one. Waiting on strap pins and metal dome knobs.

This is the first time I've used the solder less connectors, pots, jack and switch. Any other EMG pickup I've had in the past was the old type. Once I got my head around the config, it was so much more convenient to wire together and eliminates my shitty soldering technique. I'm surprised more manufacturers haven't gone down this kind of route.

That is cleeean looking!

Hoss632

Reaction score
Right. So I had some more time to play and EQ around them and no matter how I tweak them, they sound great. The 66 really has a nice, thick, singin' single coil sound and no mud at all and the 57 growls when alot of gain is applied. I use Fishmans alot, but in no way shape or form, do the EMG stand behind. They are really, really good. I got the Brushed Black Chrome version which is an eye candy as well. I can definately recommend them.
I've heard a 57 described many ways. But I'd never describe it's sound as "single coil". To me a 57 sounds like the clearest fattest passive humbucker but with that active punch. brutally amazing pick up. great for chords and single note lead work. the 66 is one of the best neck pick ups for lead playing I've heard

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've heard a 57 described many ways. But I'd never describe it's sound as "single coil". To me a 57 sounds like the clearest fattest passive humbucker but with that active punch. brutally amazing pick up. great for chords and single note lead work. the 66 is one of the best neck pick ups for lead playing I've heard

I've described the 66 as "single coily", not the 57. The 57 is a damn sledgehammer when it comes to beefy rythm playing. But the 66 has a glassy, almost bubbly sound, which reminds me of a single coil.

Hoss632

Reaction score
I've described the 66 as "single coily", not the 57. The 57 is a damn sledgehammer when it comes to beefy rythm playing. But the 66 has a glassy, almost bubbly sound, which reminds me of a single coil.
that's what I get for reading in a hurry. sorry about that. I agree with you 100%

Hoss632

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of the 85 on the bridge but the 81 definitely slays in here!!
I figured I'd like the 85 in the bridge more than the 81. I'm kind of indifferent now after finally playing the guitar through a decent amp. So now just putting back a little bit and getting a different set. Likelya hot 70's set but also considering the 56/66 as well

lewis

Reaction score
anyone ever tried 85 in bridge paired with the RPC knob?
seems like it would be a way to have way more tonal options than just being stuck with the 85 stock sound at all times

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
anyone ever tried 85 in bridge paired with the RPC knob?
seems like it would be a way to have way more tonal options than just being stuck with the 85 stock sound at all times

my thing now is turning on the depth boost on my savage plugin, cranking the bass and using the RPC to dial in tightness and definition

works great with the 81 but even using the 89 in the neck it works well too, I'll always +1 the RPC, criminally underrated when used tastefully

lewis

Reaction score
my thing now is turning on the depth boost on my savage plugin, cranking the bass and using the RPC to dial in tightness and definition

works great with the 81 but even using the 89 in the neck it works well too, I'll always +1 the RPC, criminally underrated when used tastefully

Im going to get one in my 7 string with dual 81-7s!
its decided haha

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
My dislike of actives keeps me from trying them in a bass. Honestly that clang I associate with actives might actually do well for bass..but I still think I'll pass

Ibanez's AI marketing has calculated your dream signature guitar: Dean Cadillac, with 3 EMG 81s and stainless steel fretboard in white burst and 1" dot inlays.

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
After playing nothing but EMG 81 for a month into bright sims, I finally got back and plugged in with the X2N Air Norton set and it's just too good, I forgot how huge it sounds and with the amps I'm using it still stays tight, just adjust the gain and input level and it sure as hell gives the 81 a run for its money

ofc I just broke a string on that guitar so I can't have any more fun tonight but tomorrow I pull out the L5OOXL and test that against the 81 with the sims

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Anynody here tried the Fat 55? I'm looking for active pickups that are relatively low gain and alnico based.

I just installed a Duncan Duality, and I'm not really happy with it for this guitar. It's like my guitar just lost all heft and body.

I was thinking Fat 55 for that mid eq but there's not much demos for them.

')