Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
It's called the Het SET..not the Het Bridge

tenor.gif

Hoss632

Reaction score
Ugh...guitar stores...ugh..people.

I feel like the best way to accurately know how pickups will be for my situation is having a properly cared for guitar in my personal studio. Some constantly molested and neglected guitar on the wall of a guitar store won't really tell me what I want to know, not to mention I care more about it's recorded tones than anything else.
Why don't they sell het sets without the set? I just want a bridge het.
There are a few of the EMG's i wish they did that with. Like the hot 70's. I'd like the bridge for sure on the hot 70's but I'd like the 66 in the neck.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There are a few of the EMG's i wish they did that with. Like the hot 70's. I'd like the bridge for sure on the hot 70's but I'd like the 66 in the neck.

Im thinking about getting a hot 70 set for one of my RGs to do the Van Halen thing. You like them? I love the 81s for my normal tone but I’m curious to throw something else in one of my guitars.

Hoss632

Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a hot 70 set for one of my RGs to do the Van Halen thing. You like them? I love the 81s for my normal tone but I’m curious to throw something else in one of my guitars.
Haven't physically played them yet. Plan on getting them to replace my 81/85 set. But the demos I've heard they sound awesome. I've heard them all the way down to Drop A and they just have a great tone.

failsafe

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the 57 to the Het bridge pickup? I have the Hets in my explorers and am getting the urge to try something new.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Man, that Het sounded terrible in that comparison. Maybe the amp settings he used just favored the 57 more?
Someone sent me guitar stems for the Het Set and the 57.

Honestly I don't here a huge difference. The Het Set seems to chug a little more but honestly I don't think there's a massive difference

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Man, that Het sounded terrible in that comparison. Maybe the amp settings he used just favored the 57 more?

The Hetset can sound bloated and bassy in some setups. It really depends on your tuning and amp if the Het can work for you. I am a big fan of the set and have the 57 as well and I will tell you that the 57 is easier to eq and live with. But the Hetset is far more brutal IMO. It just turns off people because it is scooped and has a very wide frequency range unlike the 57 or 81 that has a focused mids/high mids character.

The hetset will also clip your digital gear if you dont set up the input pad right. It has a ton of gain.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Het seemingly designed the Het Set around a Mesa Mark series and a hot rodded Marshall (wizard). Not something I'd wanna use with a Recto for sure.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Someone sent me guitar stems for the Het Set and the 57.

Honestly I don't here a huge difference. The Het Set seems to chug a little more but honestly I don't think there's a massive difference

It's been awhile since I had both, but I recall a bit of difference. The 57 had more mids, less output, and slightly less bass. The Het Set had tons more bass and output.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well after all my hemming and hawing about an HA or a hot 70s set or even a 58 I saw a set of used zebra Jim Root sigs on reverb and bought them. Plus they were zebra, so I almost had to get them. Jim was apparently a huge 81 fan for years, so I’m optimistic these will be cool.

i would have gotten a 57/66tw set but I like the idea of my EMGs being easily hot swappable from guitar to guitar and the wiring rules that out. Next best thing would have been a Het Set, but I’m not crazy about the metalworks finishes. I feel like they would clash with my guitars’ hardware. A regular 57/66 set would have been fine but I didn’t see any good used deals before the Jim Root set showed up.

They will be going in my RG520 (a little darker, mahogany body) for now. If I like them enough I’ll probably put them in the 3120 and move one of my 81/85 sets back to the 520.

I also got an SA for the middle position of my
HSH RG. I had torn that guitar down years ago and pillaged it for parts due to the shit Lo TRS on it, but I just bought a new one and put my tremolno on it and put it back together for the first time in 10 years. It still has my original EMG wiring in it so I threw my extra 81 and 60 in it. Realized I never bothered to properly wire the switch. Weird proprietary Ibanez 5 way, two positions are bridge only, 2 are back only currently. I never bothered to replace the middle single coil with an EMG until now when I saw the SA with the 5 way switch pop up on Reverb as I was looking for a new pickup set.

just found it cheap and it came with the switch which seems like the only way to get a 3 pickup EMG guitar if you’re stuck with the modern pickup cable and bus? I have one old school quick connect left.... maybe save it? I have a pile of the old long shaft pots laying around but only one quick connect cable left.

If I like the SA maybe I’ll get an HA at some point.

i figure I’ll have these installed within a few weeks. My RG520 is getting a refret currently so I took the opportunity to do some minor restorations which prompted all the pickup GAS and putting my old RG470 back together. I’ll probably toss the daemonums in the 470 until the 520 is done, but the 470 is a much clearer, brighter guitar than the 520.

Last edited:

Hoss632

Reaction score
Well after all my hemming and hawing about an HA or a hot 70s set or even a 58 I saw a set of used zebra Jim Root sigs on reverb and bought them. Plus they were zebra, so I almost had to get them. Jim was apparently a huge 81 fan for years, so I’m optimistic these will be cool.

i would have gotten a 57/66tw set but I like the idea of my EMGs being easily hot swappable from guitar to guitar and the wiring rules that out. Next best thing would have been a Het Set, but I’m not crazy about the metalworks finishes. I feel like they would clash with my guitars’ hardware. A regular 57/66 set would have been fine but I didn’t see any good used deals before the Jim Root set showed up.

They will be going in my RG520 (a little darker, mahogany body) for now. If I like them enough I’ll probably put them in the 3120 and move one of my 81/85 sets back to the 520.

I also got an SA for the middle position of my
HSH RG. I had torn that guitar down years ago and pillaged it for parts due to the shit Lo TRS on it, but I just bought a new one and put my tremolno on it and put it back together for the first time in 10 years. It still has my original EMG wiring in it so I threw my extra 81 and 60 in it. Realized I never bothered to properly wire the switch. Weird proprietary Ibanez 5 way, two positions are bridge only, 2 are back only currently. I never bothered to replace the middle single coil with an EMG until now when I saw the SA with the 5 way switch pop up on Reverb as I was looking for a new pickup set.

just found it cheap and it came with the switch which seems like the only way to get a 3 pickup EMG guitar if you’re stuck with the modern pickup cable and bus? I have one old school quick connect left.... maybe save it? I have a pile of the old long shaft pots laying around but only one quick connect cable left.

If I like the SA maybe I’ll get an HA at some point.

i figure I’ll have these installed within a few weeks. My RG520 is getting a refret currently so I took the opportunity to do some minor restorations which prompted all the pickup GAS and putting my old RG470 back together. I’ll probably toss the daemonums in the 470 until the 520 is done, but the 470 is a much clearer, brighter guitar than the 520.
The jim root set is definitely unique tonally compared to any other EMG I've heard. And at least in the side by side comparison's I've heard of them vs the 81 his cut through a mix more I think. Not only that they have a fat tonal range as well. He and EMG really created something cool

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Put the 57 back in my NK and tried to get the wiring reassembled but I can’t remember which leads go on the Jack because the NK needs a long jack and I couldn’t use the one that came in the EMG kit, thinking about seeing if there’s a presoldered long jack that I can buy.

')