Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
have you tried a 57 ? or an 85 ?

Both remove that top end clang you dont like. Tbh, I mostly attribute that top end you dislike with Ceramic magnets which the 81 is.

Alnico always seems rounder and smoother to me and avoids that (unless you use plenty of EQ adjusting in the signal chain)

I tried using an 85..still hated it. I just don't like EMGs and I've never heard one I really dug. Except the Het Set. If I recall, I liked those but certainly not enough to buy them or want a guitar with them. I'm a passive kind of player.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I tried using an 85..still hated it. I just don't like EMGs and I've never heard one I really dug. Except the Het Set. If I recall, I liked those but certainly not enough to buy them or want a guitar with them. I'm a passive kind of player.

What did you like about the Hetset? They sure are eq'd like a passive.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly I don't remember. I remember hearing them in a video and being surprised because they didn't have that EMG sound I expected.
Check out the Retro-active EMG stuff. Completely took my by surprise hearing the hot 70's and the super 77 sets. Definitely not the typical EMG active sound. Much more open and full. Plus emg has some nice passive sets as well. The marty frieman and the Rev sets are particularly nice on that side of things.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always go back to EMG's. Just got a new 7 with Fluence moderns in it... I like them. But they're not EMG's to me. Thats good and bad, really. Good to have a different sound. But I do love the attack and compression of EMG tones.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always go back to EMG's. Just got a new 7 with Fluence moderns in it... I like them. But they're not EMG's to me. Thats good and bad, really. Good to have a different sound. But I do love the attack and compression of EMG tones.

Yap. I second that. EMG has some weird trademark sound and I can't put my finger on it. Some like it and some hate it. All good.
Just today I bought a 57/66 set on ebay I got dirt cheap. Definately looking forward to how they sound.

Endnote

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the EMG accessories? Specifically the RPC and AB. I've found some reviews and videos here and there but I wouldn't mind more input. Been thinking about trying the RPC in a guitar with the 81/60 combo.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also FWIW for those curious about the D-Activators

I liked it at first in my Hagstrom, but the honeymoon phase dropped off haaaard. It's kinda bright, but it's also got a thicker low end than you'd expect. It's not 1:1 to an EMG, and Lasse Lammert's comparison is spot on compared to an EMG 81.

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the EMG accessories? Specifically the RPC and AB. I've found some reviews and videos here and there but I wouldn't mind more input. Been thinking about trying the RPC in a guitar with the 81/60 combo.

The RPC is killer - especially for low tunings. It adds some single coil twang on full.
before I quit my band, i was using Drop G sharp with a low F and 81s - perfect use of the RPC (plus helps get super chimey clean tones when needed also)

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I've used the PA2 not the AB but it does just what you think, adds a shit ton of gain and a fair bit of noise. Hard to control but fun and gets some serious harmonic going.

The RPC can get harsh and twangy quick but it's great to blend in some treble and cut low end. Just don't overdo it.

Reaction score

I had the Afterburner on my old ESP baritones. Honestly I didn't see the point. Just added a bunch of unnecessary gain. Mind you this was a long time ago (remember when ESP baritones had Afterburners?) and I'm sure I had no clue what I was going. That being said even now I still don't see the point.

Endnote

Reaction score
You guys are all right. @lewis did the RPC affect the tone even when you had it shut off? That's probably my biggest concern. I kinda realized the AB isn't really up my alley. I'm merely interested in the RPC because it can eq the pickups to sound more single-coil like, which would be all right for the 81/60 combo.

lewis

Reaction score
You guys are all right. @lewis did the RPC affect the tone even when you had it shut off? That's probably my biggest concern. I kinda realized the AB isn't really up my alley. I'm merely interested in the RPC because it can eq the pickups to sound more single-coil like, which would be all right for the 81/60 combo.
No :)
off is off. (at least I never noticed if it was)

the more you turn it up the more the effect is. Means you can get your perfect amount. Moved to using knobs with numbers to make this easier.

InfernalVortex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So.... I have read through much of this thread and greatly enjoyed it. Did we ever end up going through with the pickup exchange idea? Im thinking about buying an H or an HA or a 58 just to try something different, and if I dont like it, I figured some of you guys would be interested in just trying one of them out just to say you did. Ive got 2 81's, an 85, and a 60 in guitars right now, and a blackout neck pickup, all with the quick connects.

Granted, I probably am not interested in waiting in lines at post offices until after the pandemic finally calms down...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Honestly I've been thinking about trying the 58. It's supposed to be a P90 vibe allegedly, and I love P90s in the neck.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
https://www.premierguitar.com/artic..._Makers_Celebrate_35_Years_of_Pioneering_Tone

The H/HA came first, then the 58. According to this, Turner had the idea and design for the H/HA well before he started any company.
Pretty sure EMG says the 58 was the first attempt? The H/HA is a single coil in a humbucker housing...

Edit: I know for a fact EMG has changed the description on their site for the 58. It used to talk about how it was kind of noisier than typical EMGs. Anyways, I'd like to try a 58 in the bridge and an HA in the neck in one or both guitars. Or if I don't like that, then a 58 in the neck of one guitar and an HA in the other.

Last edited:
')