Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Okay, just got a 58 to throw in the bridge of my Jackson DK24 HT... so far, so good...

You can sort of tell it was EMG's first pickup... it's full bodied, robust (much like the 85 which I have in the neck for the first time ever - have only ever done 85's in the bridge), and has a touch of sparkle on the top. Not as detailed and rich as, say, the Fat 55 bridge or the 57, but it's cool for the moment... LOTS of punch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Okay, just got a 58 to throw in the bridge of my Jackson DK24 HT... so far, so good...

You can sort of tell it was EMG's first pickup... it's full bodied, robust (much like the 85 which I have in the neck for the first time ever - have only ever done 85's in the bridge), and has a touch of sparkle on the top. Not as detailed and rich as, say, the Fat 55 bridge or the 57, but it's cool for the moment... LOTS of punch.
I thnk the tons of punch is why I prefer it in the bridge over the neck. Been using it in the neck for a bit and I feel it's a bit too honky there for my taste.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

I have a 58 in the bridge and neck, which I like a lot, but I’m thinking of going HSS, and pairing the 58 in the bridge with two SLVs. I’m going to play it one last time before I swap out the ivory SLV for a black SLV to be sure, though. I’ve got a B stock SL20 on the way, which I plan to put the 85 in the Standard Stratocaster and at least one of the SLVs in the Player Stratocaster. If I’m not keen on the 85 in the bridge of the Standard, I’ll have the 58 to swap in its place.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
Got the 58 installed and a demo/etude to show it off... a VERY fun pickup... similar to the 85 in many ways (output, great low end), but has a bite/pop in the mids that is really nice... a great compliment to the 85 or 81 as it feels like it's on the same team!!! Or, like the 85x?

At any rate, take a listen and enjoy:

https://youtu.be/DU2o8Eolcpw

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Got the 58 installed and a demo/etude to show it off... a VERY fun pickup... similar to the 85 in many ways (output, great low end), but has a bite/pop in the mids that is really nice... a great compliment to the 85 or 81 as it feels like it's on the same team!!! Or, like the 85x?

At any rate, take a listen and enjoy:

https://youtu.be/DU2o8Eolcpw
I feel like the upper midrange and high end of the 58 are unique. They might be close, though, to a 60A.

The Order of the 58 is off to a great start. :lol:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Swapped the 85 in the bridge of the Standard Stratocaster in my signature. It sounds good, but I only had a short time to test it out. I’ll have to do more this week. I also had a chance to file the fret ends, and the neck feels much less prickly along the length of the fingerboard. I need to do a little on my Squier possibly, as well as swap out at least the ivory SLV for a black one in my Player Stratocaster, though I’m still contemplating going HSS in that guitar, too.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Not sure what was up, but I had some issues earlier with my EMG power supply thing. It worked normally again, but something was acting strange. I’m going to have to keep an eye on it. I also think I had an issue with something else, I believe, so I’ll be keeping an eye on that as well.

Anyways, I got the EMG SL20 in, and am curious if anyone thinks I should put the black SLV in the middle to match the two 58s, or if I should replace the neck 58 as well with a second matching SLV.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
^Stereo cord going out maybe?
It seemed to do it though when I switch off the power supply (it has a footswitch) and switch the 9v/18v selector. Might have also made the sound like there was less gain as well, but I’m not sure if that was another cable. The cord is new, so I’m perplexed. If not that, then perhaps the switch.

Ross82

Reaction score
Yep, EMG's are my pickup. I have other guitars with different passive pickups that sound great, but my yardstick is always EMG for my sound. If a passive sounds similar to an 81 then I'm all good and really the only pickups I've encountered that get close to this, to my ear, are BKP Nailbombs and Guitarmory Skerv's.

I have a custom build in process and my whole idea behind the specs of the build were to take the elements of my favourite guitars in my collection and have them in one guitar and the pickup choice was EMG 81/60.

You can shove your "Sterile/lifeless/compressed" typical complaints up your hoop. I know exactly what I can get and how to get it from EMG's and have been using them since the 90's.

I will always try other/new pickups and if something better comes along then maybe I would switch but as they say, "If it aint broke, dont fix it".

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Got my LTD M-1000 back earlier this week, and man... a pair of 81s at 18V just works so well. The neck pickup is backed off slightly, and kicks tons of ass for heavy thrash riffing. I've been using 81s off and on for over 20 years, and still the only pickup I've heard that work for heavy riffs or leads in both position.

Also love the 85, 89, and 808X.

lewis

Reaction score
Got my LTD M-1000 back earlier this week, and man... a pair of 81s at 18V just works so well. The neck pickup is backed off slightly, and kicks tons of ass for heavy thrash riffing. I've been using 81s off and on for over 20 years, and still the only pickup I've heard that work for heavy riffs or leads in both position.

Also love the 85, 89, and 808X.
Try the 24v mod. Takes up way less room In the cavity than 2x 9v batteries does and sounds even better.

Emgs crap out at 30v so it's still within safe amount of volts.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Try the 24v mod. Takes up way less room In the cavity than 2x 9v batteries does and sounds even better.

The 24v mod takes up a bit less space than a singular 9v battery. I’ve heard some argue it is unnecessary when compared to 18v. It’s meant to replace 9v for people who can’t fit the two 9v batteries. In general, I think the EMG line sounds better with higher voltages.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I really enjoy the SD 59's and my EMGhz and active EMG 81's actually.

I think I prefer seymour duncan's over EMG's but I will never rule EMG's out of my set. I don't really enjoy the other stuff. I've played Schecter USA pick ups and they're really not suited for what I play I suppose.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about them. Some of my favorite tones have come from them; Zakk Wylde and Hetfield namely, but there’s a midrange I hear with them, like this constant fixed frequency when I‘ve used them in the past. Also not a fan of the way they feel like they’re compressing high gain tones.

That said, I’ve got a 707 in my RG7620 that I thought I was going to swap out immediately but I’m digging it in that guitar so far. I only do one thing with that guitar- chugging metal shit and I’m digging it for that.

That said PT. II- I just finished setting this up-

2358D4C0-5513-4EFF-9BBC-3E81E4478619.jpeg

I started playing because of Gilmour and specifically thought his CAR Strat looked so fucking cool. I was 11 and didn’t know shit about guitars, my dad took me to see them and I just went Floyd crazy after. That show changed the entire course of my life. Anyway, I LOVE the DG-20 set and had it in a Classic 50’s Strat for the last year, I just received this Strat from MJT/Musikraft this week and just got done setting the action and installing the string tree. I’m fucking in love. Gilmour’s ‘94 tones are some of my all time favorite tones and until I tried the DG-20 set with the EXG/SPC boosters, I didn’t realize the role they played in those tones, quite a bit more than I had thought.

The 11 year old fanboy in me is freaking out with joy right now.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about them. Some of my favorite tones have come from them; Zakk Wylde and Hetfield namely, but there’s a midrange I hear with them, like this constant fixed frequency when I‘ve used them in the past. Also not a fan of the way they feel like they’re compressing high gain tones.

That said, I’ve got a 707 in my RG7620 that I thought I was going to swap out immediately but I’m digging it in that guitar so far. I only do one thing with that guitar- chugging metal shit and I’m digging it for that.

That said PT. II- I just finished setting this up-

View attachment 105559

I started playing because of Gilmour and specifically thought his CAR Strat looked so fucking cool. I was 11 and didn’t know shit about guitars, my dad took me to see them and I just went Floyd crazy after. That show changed the entire course of my life. Anyway, I LOVE the DG-20 set and had it in a Classic 50’s Strat for the last year, I just received this Strat from MJT/Musikraft this week and just got done setting the action and installing the string tree. I’m fucking in love. Gilmour’s ‘94 tones are some of my all time favorite tones and until I tried the DG-20 set with the EXG/SPC boosters, I didn’t realize the role they played in those tones, quite a bit more than I had thought.

The 11 year old fanboy in me is freaking out with joy right now.
Have you tried higher voltages with the humbuckers? I think that fixed frequency and compression thing would be a lot less apparent.

The EXG and SPC controls are great. I started out with a DG20 and some SLVs. I could have single coils, HSS, or even HSH in one of my guitars, making it easy for me to mess around with pickups and setups. The controls add a ton of versatility, and I don’t need a boost pedal on my pedalboard anymore. I just need to find something for my LTDs. I’d probably just got with the EXG and SPC, but they are routed for two controls.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Have you tried higher voltages with the humbuckers? I think that fixed frequency and compression thing would be a lot less apparent.

The EXG and SPC controls are great. I started out with a DG20 and some SLVs. I could have single coils, HSS, or even HSH in one of my guitars, making it easy for me to mess around with pickups and setups. The controls add a ton of versatility, and I don’t need a boost pedal on my pedalboard anymore. I just need to find something for my LTDs. I’d probably just got with the EXG and SPC, but they are routed for two controls.

I haven’t. I’m definitely curious to hear any changes the 18v method brings. My buddy has an ESP with the 81/85 combo right now, maybe I’ll borrow it from him and do it up. He doesn’t even play through an amp and when he does, he asks me to dial it in for him so if I just tell him “This will make it better” he’ll go with it. :lol:

I was telling my uncle exactly that about the EXG/SPC stuff last night; he was griping about his single coils lacking mids and being noisy. I have an extra DG-20 set that I couldn’t get working after I bought it used, so I’m going to send it off to him, he loves fixing stuff.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I haven’t. I’m definitely curious to hear any changes the 18v method brings. My buddy has an ESP with the 81/85 combo right now, maybe I’ll borrow it from him and do it up. He doesn’t even play through an amp and when he does, he asks me to dial it in for him so if I just tell him “This will make it better” he’ll go with it. :lol:

I was telling my uncle exactly that about the EXG/SPC stuff last night; he was griping about his single coils lacking mids and being noisy. I have an extra DG-20 set that I couldn’t get working after I bought it used, so I’m going to send it off to him, he loves fixing stuff.
The 24v mod costs like 25 bucks, which kind of sucks, but if you can barely fit a 9v (or not), the 24v mod is great as it is like 5-10% smaller. Compared to 9v, 24v is great. Less compressed, more dynamic, less focused on one frequency. I also tend to pull the pickups back some like a regular humbucker or single coil. I go 5/32" for humbuckers and 4/32" for single coils. They balance a bit better that way.

The EXG and SPC are spectacular. I wish I could put some of EMG's accessories in a large pedal with separate footswitches. Then I could run the EXG and SPC on all of my guitars. I'd probably put an SPC, an RPC (ie, if I need to thin out a neck pickup or humbucker some), an EXG, and an AB or PA-2 in a pedal with separate footswitches for each. There is (or was) a pedal similar to that on Reverb with I think most of EMG's accessories, but they want 600 bucks if I am not mistaken.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score

Does 24 make much difference over 18? The LTD has a battery box, and I nuked the tone knob, so there was plenty of space in the compartment for the second battery.

One of the things I love about EMG is the 1000+ hour battery life. The 12V batteries appear to have 1/10th the capacity of a 9V.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Does 24 make much difference over 18? The LTD has a battery box, and I nuked the tone knob, so there was plenty of space in the compartment for the second battery.

One of the things I love about EMG is the 1000+ hour battery life. The 12V batteries appear to have 1/10th the capacity of a 9V.
The 24v is mainly an improvement over 9v where you can't fit two 9v batteries.

')