Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
I was tempted to get the P90 style actives but it seems they just simply put 81s, 85s or 60s inside a P90 housing. Meaning they sound no different to the regular versions ?
Shame.

Thought the P90 twang in my 30inch Bari could have been awesome.
Might aswell just buy the usual Dual 81s for it now then to save money

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I was tempted to get the P90 style actives but it seems they just simply put 81s, 85s or 60s inside a P90 housing. Meaning they sound no different to the regular versions ?
Shame.

Thought the P90 twang in my 30inch Bari could have been awesome.
Might aswell just buy the usual Dual 81s for it now then to save money
If you want an active P90 and not just a typical 81 or 85 in a P90 housing, perhaps the following is an active alternative for you. Seymour Duncan has a P90 stack for hum cancellation, that you may consider pairing with their standalone Blackout preamp (if they still sell it, or check Reverb). This way you get the true voicing without the hum and the active output.

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone happen to have ever used an 81 in a 30inch Baritone? (im tuned to Drop C#1)
Ive got a thomann basket filled with EMG stuff ready to order end of this month, and I figured whilst I was waiting I would see if anyones done this? (x2 81s, RPC knob, black toggle switch)
Extra brownie points if anyone has ever paired an RPC with an 81 in an 30inch baritone too!

cheers

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried an HA with an afterburner? (Or just HA in baritone?)
Thinking about just going full crazy twang Single Coil Alnico (in humbucker casing) and boosting its output with afterburner

Endnote

Reaction score
Anyone happen to have ever used an 81 in a 30inch Baritone? (im tuned to Drop C#1)
Ive got a thomann basket filled with EMG stuff ready to order end of this month, and I figured whilst I was waiting I would see if anyones done this? (x2 81s, RPC knob, black toggle switch)
Extra brownie points if anyone has ever paired an RPC with an 81 in an 30inch baritone too!

cheers
I had an 81 in one of my Warmoth Strats with a Baritone 28.625 neck. It was tuned F#F♯-B-E-G♯-C♯ liked the band Isis. Unsurprisingly sounded massive and tight, and like you I can't get enough of the 81. Didn't have much use for that tuning though, except for learning those Isis songs, so I ended up selling the neck and trying something else. It was just the 81 and a volume knob, no extras.

lewis

Reaction score
After much deliberation, I finally went with 85 + RPC knob for my Bari project.

Been seriously missing Alnico magnets in bridge so that's what tipped it. The RPC to add extra twang and tightness should I deem the 85 a tad too warm

Edit: I will be doing 24v mod too

Last edited:

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
After much deliberation, I finally went with 85 + RPC knob for my Bari project.

Been seriously missing Alnico magnets in bridge so that's what tipped it. The RPC to add extra twang and tightness should I deem the 85 a tad too warm

Edit: I will be doing 24v mod too
Cool! The 85 plus RPC seems like it would be very versatile. You can get the tone razor sharp when needed or big and burly when not, plus everywhere in between.

The 24v mod is great for those who can't fit two 9v batteries or have a cramped space and even a single 9v is a bit much.

lewis

Reaction score
Cool! The 85 plus RPC seems like it would be very versatile. You can get the tone razor sharp when needed or big and burly when not, plus everywhere in between.

The 24v mod is great for those who can't fit two 9v batteries or have a cramped space and even a single 9v is a bit much.
Exactly what I had in mind.

Issue with the RPC is it seems its limit is 18v so I'm going to have to try and route for dual stacked 9vs instead lol 😑

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Exactly what I had in mind.

Issue with the RPC is it seems its limit is 18v so I'm going to have to try and route for dual stacked 9vs instead lol 😑
According to Alex Miletich, he says all of the EMG stuff can run at 27v. We were kind of more specifically discussing pickups, but also the DG20. So, I think, the RPC should work. Email him and see to be certain. Message me and I'll give his email to you.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
Any of you try a 66 in the bridge?

I know EMG says they made it specifically for the neck, but just wanted to know if anyone has tried one in the bridge and if so, how it sounded.

lewis

Reaction score
Any of you try a 66 in the bridge?

I know EMG says they made it specifically for the neck, but just wanted to know if anyone has tried one in the bridge and if so, how it sounded.
That's another interesting shout.
I've seen their 58 too which is apparently a P90 in humbucker casing?

Both these could be interesting.
Is the 66 Alnico with steel poles like the 57 ?

')