Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gclef

Reaction score
I ordered my EMG H from "Dont tell the wife" via his ebay store. Turned up from the USA really fast and without needing any additional import taxes. Well impressed
Same here, though thru reverb. Pretty cool dude with a good relationship with emg. See below

Every time I order from DTTW, he messages me things about what I've ordered. "Don't forget about this while wiring it up, or this and that."

I find it a bit funny, as I'm pretty knowledgeable about wiring up EMGs and controls, but I appreciate the extra steps.
Apparently, I ordered a weird combo of f spaced 57/66tws with long shaft push pulls that needed to be special ordered. He got them to me in about 2 weeks. Not bad.

He was super helpful throughout the whole process.

Oh, and I chose the fender instrument cable tag along with mine. Lol. Good cable!

Good dude. My next set will be thru him as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Just got an SV set via EMG’s reverb outlet for $135 shipped. They just arrived and look fantastic.
I have two SS sets (as I plan to put them in an HSS pickguard) of S1 and S2 single coils and they look great. Unfortunately, the length of 5 pin quick connect cables I ordered from EMG are not usable, so I had to order more. I ordered them, but they were too long. So I have them as back ups for my LTDs. Still, it was frustrating -- especially for someone who is stressed -- so it kind of sucked.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Might need some help here.

In europe it is nearly impossible to get an HA or H for the neck.
And i'd like a neck pickup which is a little more grainy and more single coil sounding than the 60.
Could the 66 do the trick?
I barely compared the 60 and the 66.
Nor the 60A, which i've never tried before.

What about a 89? The single coil tones are fantastic. Just remember to get the "R" (reverse) version.

The 66 is nothing like the 60. If you like single coil-esque tones, you won't like it. It's super full and fat. The 89 in single coil mode is very close to the SA.

Add a 18v mod and you get Gilmour Pulse-era tones with ease.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
What about a 89? The single coil tones are fantastic. Just remember to get the "R" (reverse) version.

The 66 is nothing like the 60. If you like single coil-esque tones, you won't like it. It's super full and fat. The 89 in single coil mode is very close to the SA.

18v mod with either the SLV or SA and EXG+SPC controls is a very versatile setup. You get a lot of tonal variations. Back off the controls and roll the volume back to 7-8 for mellower stuff, or roll in some EXG+SPC with the volume on 10 for some heavy rock stuff.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I used the 89 before, i just did not want to rewire everything again.
Man i am still waiting on the 60tw, or even better a 60a tw.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would LOVE the 81/HA combo.
And since you all are raving about the emg accessoires i'd add that instead of a tone control.
Man i started loving tone controls recently. First time using them since i don't know 10 years maybe?

Endnote

Reaction score
I have a Warmoth I recently put together that has the EMG 81/S combo and the difference in output is substantial. I ended up putting in an SLV single that I had, and the same was there. I wish EMG singles had a jumper like the Seymour Blackout Singles for higher output. I'll probably end up going that rout in the interim but we'll see if I change the bridge pickup to SD at all. Not a fan of mixing pickup manufacturers, but sometimes it's gotta happen.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I have a Warmoth I recently put together that has the EMG 81/S combo and the difference in output is substantial. I ended up putting in an SLV single that I had, and the same was there. I wish EMG singles had a jumper like the Seymour Blackout Singles for higher output. I'll probably end up going that rout in the interim but we'll see if I change the bridge pickup to SD at all. Not a fan of mixing pickup manufacturers, but sometimes it's gotta happen.
I find they are more even in terms of volume if I set the humbucker at 4-5/32nds, while the single coil is about 3/32nds. This way, the volume should be closer. There will obviously be a difference in the amount of gain, typical when it comes to humbuckers vs single coils.

Endnote

Reaction score
I find they are more even in terms of volume if I set the humbucker at 4-5/32nds, while the single coil is about 3/32nds. This way, the volume should be closer. There will obviously be a difference in the amount of gain, typical when it comes to humbuckers vs single coils.
Very true Spaced, I did some height adjustments before I made my earlier post and was still frustrated because while the volume was matched, the gain difference was enough to make me want something different.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Very true Spaced, I did some height adjustments before I made my earlier post and was still frustrated because while the volume was matched, the gain difference was enough to make me want something different.
Welcome to the world of HSS/HSH guitars. They will by their very nature have different gain structures. No way around it without completely negating one or the other. ie, "it looks like a single coil, but is actually a dual coil mini humbucker," or "it looks like a humbucker, but is only using one coil or..." etc.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Grabbed an LTD EX Black Metal. The 81 is never going away in general or not having a place in metal. You just know what you are getting in tone, and I love that consistency. I've had 707X's in a guitar before, and thought it sounded MASSIVE. I'd definitely go back to those.

I recently fell in love with the JH Het Set, bridge in particular. I wish they'd sell them individually instead of a set; I have a growing collection of single humbucker guitars and I hate that my only option is to get the set. Expect Reverb to have a few JH neck pickups available in the distant future. I've been hankering to try to Jim Root model, and the Revelation.

I definitely went through a "passive or die" phase, and that still applies to certain sounds, but so do EMGs.

zjb7777

Reaction score
Grabbed an LTD EX Black Metal. The 81 is never going away in general or not having a place in metal. You just know what you are getting in tone, and I love that consistency. I've had 707X's in a guitar before, and thought it sounded MASSIVE. I'd definitely go back to those.

I recently fell in love with the JH Het Set, bridge in particular. I wish they'd sell them individually instead of a set; I have a growing collection of single humbucker guitars and I hate that my only option is to get the set. Expect Reverb to have a few JH neck pickups available in the distant future. I've been hankering to try to Jim Root model, and the Revelation.

I definitely went through a "passive or die" phase, and that still applies to certain sounds, but so do EMGs.
Have you tried contacting EMG via email or anything to see if they'll sell an individual JH bridge? A few months back I was considering a bridge of the Jim Root set with a single coil and I emailed them and they said that I could purchase a single bridge pickup and another single. I ended up not doing it, but it's worth a shot.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting EMG via email or anything to see if they'll sell an individual JH bridge? A few months back I was considering a bridge of the Jim Root set with a single coil and I emailed them and they said that I could purchase a single bridge pickup and another single. I ended up not doing it, but it's worth a shot.
Maybe if you ask nicely and say you'd like them to build you an HSS setup, they might agree. ;)

They're not supposed to break up signature sets, but they will if you have them build you a setup like I am planning next month.

')