Anyone Keep Going Back To EMG?

• Thread starter lewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    emg pickups
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
My 57-7 66-7 combo is very noisy. Had the same issue with Loomis Blackouts. Both sets have the exposed poles and are apparently super noisy with EMI in my apartment.

I'm over them and ready to get something that doesn't screech constantly. Even with a gate, there's static and an overtone audible. This doesn't happen with any other pickups. Just the 57/66 set and Loomis Blackouts. I've been putting up with it for a year, but I'm ready to swap them out. Never had an issue with nose from any other pickups.

What's your favorite 7 string EMGs in the soap bar housing other than the 57/66 set?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Stupid question probably, but does EMG have any active models that will fit in Dimarzio passive routes?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I guess these are the seven string "retro active" humbucker models. Might have to give them a shot.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Going to use the HAX I bought forever ago for my strat I’m just sad that it’s chrome and not white

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Recently modded these two for an experiment. The Fender Player Stratocaster in buttercream has EMG HZ H1A/S1/S1 pickups. The Fender American Performer Stratocaster in surf green has EMG HZ H4A/S3/S3 pickups. The S1 and S3 are the same pickup, but the pole pieces are not exposed/staggered. EXG/SPC controls in both for extra sound options.
20240731_134258.jpg
20240731_134214.jpg

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My 57-7 66-7 combo is very noisy. Had the same issue with Loomis Blackouts. Both sets have the exposed poles and are apparently super noisy with EMI in my apartment.

I'm over them and ready to get something that doesn't screech constantly. Even with a gate, there's static and an overtone audible. This doesn't happen with any other pickups. Just the 57/66 set and Loomis Blackouts. I've been putting up with it for a year, but I'm ready to swap them out. Never had an issue with nose from any other pickups.

What's your favorite 7 string EMGs in the soap bar housing other than the 57/66 set?
Short version: I have 707's, a 707TWXR, an 85-7 and an 81-7. 707's are kind of bright but are fairly well balanced and a good all around pickup, TWXR is a lot brighter and has a coil split (might be better as a neck pickup if you want less bass), 85-7 is darker/thicker with a bit more output than a 707, 81-7 seems more gainy/brighter than the 85 and closer to the 707 with slightly less bass.

The 707TWXR/85-7/81-7 were all tested as a bridge pickup in the same guitar, pickup height, same exact strings, amp, pedals, AxeFx, etc.

The longboi version:

The 707's replaced regular Blackouts in an RGA7. The 707's have less output than the BO's but are more balanced in all three positions for clean and dirty tones. They work great for heavy tones but also sound great with lower gain, clean/clean wet (verb/delay) sounds as well. Sometimes the upper mids can get kind of grating/washy but amp/pedal settings or cabs will change that.

The 707TWXR, 85-7 and 81-7 have been used as bridge pickups in my RG7321 set up as a single hum guitar. It's brighter sounding than my other guitars, so I wanted to find something less bright.

The 707TWXR was cool because it has a coil split and came with a VLPF tone control. Higher gain sounds are decent but can get kind of washy/grating in the high mids and highs. (Needed more eq work) Ime, it's brighter than a regular 707 and sometimes in an unpleasant way, but turning down the VLPF control reduced harshness without getting muffled. I liked this pickup best for lower gain and clean sounds. It was decent with high gain sounds and better with the VLPF turned way down. Would probably excel as a neck pickup, especially with the split.

The 85-7 was the biggest tonal change of them all. It's darker and hotter than the 707/twxr, though not lacking clarity. It pushed my clean sound a little more than the 707's, but not by much. Kind of a woolier sound, more bass content but not muddy. I have not tried it in the neck but I think it might be too thick for my tastes. It sounded really good in the bridge and was more or less the change I was looking for.

The 81-7 is staying for now. Tonally (imo) it's closer to the 707 but a little smoother in the upper mids. It kind of feels like there's a little less bass content vs the 707 and a lot less than the 85. Even though I wanted a thicker sound from the guitar, I don't find the low end lacking and can turn up the bass if needed.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Short version: I have 707's, a 707TWXR, an 85-7 and an 81-7. 707's are kind of bright but are fairly well balanced and a good all around pickup, TWXR is a lot brighter and has a coil split (might be better as a neck pickup if you want less bass), 85-7 is darker/thicker with a bit more output than a 707, 81-7 seems more gainy/brighter than the 85 and closer to the 707 with slightly less bass.

The 707TWXR/85-7/81-7 were all tested as a bridge pickup in the same guitar, pickup height, same exact strings, amp, pedals, AxeFx, etc.

The longboi version:

The 707's replaced regular Blackouts in an RGA7. The 707's have less output than the BO's but are more balanced in all three positions for clean and dirty tones. They work great for heavy tones but also sound great with lower gain, clean/clean wet (verb/delay) sounds as well. Sometimes the upper mids can get kind of grating/washy but amp/pedal settings or cabs will change that.

The 707TWXR, 85-7 and 81-7 have been used as bridge pickups in my RG7321 set up as a single hum guitar. It's brighter sounding than my other guitars, so I wanted to find something less bright.

The 707TWXR was cool because it has a coil split and came with a VLPF tone control. Higher gain sounds are decent but can get kind of washy/grating in the high mids and highs. (Needed more eq work) Ime, it's brighter than a regular 707 and sometimes in an unpleasant way, but turning down the VLPF control reduced harshness without getting muffled. I liked this pickup best for lower gain and clean sounds. It was decent with high gain sounds and better with the VLPF turned way down. Would probably excel as a neck pickup, especially with the split.

The 85-7 was the biggest tonal change of them all. It's darker and hotter than the 707/twxr, though not lacking clarity. It pushed my clean sound a little more than the 707's, but not by much. Kind of a woolier sound, more bass content but not muddy. I have not tried it in the neck but I think it might be too thick for my tastes. It sounded really good in the bridge and was more or less the change I was looking for.

The 81-7 is staying for now. Tonally (imo) it's closer to the 707 but a little smoother in the upper mids. It kind of feels like there's a little less bass content vs the 707 and a lot less than the 85. Even though I wanted a thicker sound from the guitar, I don't find the low end lacking and can turn up the bass if needed.
Thanks for the write-up!

I was looking at a set of 707Xs used on Reverb since I've liked my other x series EMGs. Any experience with those?

I've found X series EMGs to be a bit less hot, but have a little more upper mids. A combination I rather enjoy.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up!

I was looking at a set of 707Xs used on Reverb since I've liked my other x series EMGs. Any experience with those?

I've found X series EMGs to be a bit less hot, but have a little more upper mids. A combination I rather enjoy.
You're welcome!

The only X other than the 707TWXR I have is 808X's in my RGA8. I got them to replace the Blackouts I had in that guitar and while I like them, I think the 8 string Blackouts are a lot better than the 7's.... It seems like they're slightly less hot and are very well balanced.

The 808X's are nice and sounded like I expected but in that guitar a hotter pick is a little better. I might try an 81-8 or 85-8 for the bridge.

I agree with you on the upper mids on the X... The 707TWXR has much more than the regular 707. Depending on the guitar that can be a good thing! I just know I don't like super bassy neck pickups, so an X or X variant would be great in the neck for someone like me.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Recently modded these two for an experiment. The Fender Player Stratocaster in buttercream has EMG HZ H1A/S1/S1 pickups. The Fender American Performer Stratocaster in surf green has EMG HZ H4A/S3/S3 pickups. The S1 and S3 are the same pickup, but the pole pieces are not exposed/staggered. EXG/SPC controls in both for extra sound options.
View attachment 147713View attachment 147714
EMG-HZ have been around forever, so every time I google them it's just 10 year old ultimate guitar forum posts of people shitting on them because they aren't 81s.
What do you make of them? I've always been interested because I love the clean look of no pole pieces exposed. Are they meant to be more of a modern sound?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
EMG-HZ have been around forever, so every time I google them it's just 10 year old ultimate guitar forum posts of people shitting on them because they aren't 81s.
What do you make of them? I've always been interested because I love the clean look of no pole pieces exposed. Are they meant to be more of a modern sound?
I use them with active controls (EXG and SPC), so take it for what it is worth. I think they sound awesome. I have S1, S2, and S3 single coils; H1A, H2A, H3A, and H4A humbuckers. I also have the Marty Friedman, Lars Fredriksen DMF and Prashant Aswani Revelation signature sets. They all have their pluses and minuses. For instance, the DMF took some time to warm up to and adjust to sound right with my setup.

Anyways, I'm not sure what is meant by "modern sound," so I can't answer that. They react to playing dynamics, harmonically rich, more open/dynamic than the active pickups EMG offers, and sound killer. I get sounds that aren't that far off quality wise versus my two LTD M-1 Custom 87 Series guitars with Duncan Distortion bridge pickups.

I think the problem is that they were put in mid tier guitars that people used with low end amps.

')