Anyone know of a good free music program that slows down the track?

• Thread starter jin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jin

:D
Reaction score
Ive been looking all over for a good program that helps me to transcribe music easier by slowing down the tracks im working on. Some songs that i want to cover contain fast sections that i really canot hear due to the poor quality of the music program im using now(i either use vlc media player or express transcribe). So any recommendations??

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kahless

Reaction score
Audacity can slow down parts of/or entire tracks, changing tempo and maintaining pitch if desired, though its more of an editor. You would have to "import" the tracks and it might take a few seconds each time you want to begin listening.
This will provide the maximum quality available (based on quality of imported track) of slowed down portions of the tracks though, and you can then export the slowed down ones and listen to them as mp3s or oggs in whatever player you like later.

Is VLCs slowing down not any good? I'm trying it now on Perpetual Burn and it sounds really funky, but it sounds pretty odd in audacity too - It might just be that distorted notes are much harder to distinguish as they "blend" alot more when slowed down.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
Amazing slow downer is....amazing? Of course they have a trial but I dont believe it is very expensive anyway. I use it and its fantastic. I use it for my drum set transcriptions. Also, it doesnt compromise the quality.

jin

:D
Reaction score
yeah for quality you have to pay for the program but i think audacity is better than vlc

Killer64

Death Metal Machine
Reaction score
This is not a program, but a CD player that slows down a track. It is called the TASCAM CD-GT1MKII Portable CD Guitar Trainer. The way it works is you put in the album with the song on it you want to learn. You can choose what speed you want the song to be played so you can hear whats going on. Sometimes I use it when I play a tab and it seems like the tab is off from the actual song. It is a great tool, one that my guitar teacher recommended to me years ago that I have been using ever since.

need4speed

Reaction score
(Apple) Quicktime does it, (or did it and no longer does it?). You need to bring up the "A/V Controls" window.

VLC tends to distort a little.

Audacity also does this, but if you want to work with the MP3 format, you need to also download the LAME library (and I think, FFMpeg is also a separate download). The import is a pain in the keister - but other than that, Audacity is great - and free.

hysteresis

Reaction score
I've been using Transcribe! for a few years. It's not a freeware but I wanted to share knowledge about it. It can both slow down/speed up the track and/or change the pitch with little deformation. Useful for transcribing riffs and also you don't have to change your instrument's tuning for every song that has tunings different than yours.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
One more for audacity. But then again, if you get a song in Guitar Pro you can slow it down, do speed training, and a lot of other stuff. Both are really useful.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I use Audacity, and it's served me well. It sounds more broken up the more you slow it down, but that has to do with the quality of the track. Slowing down any sort of digitalized sound while maintaining pitch is going to make it sound broken up.

')