Anyone know of any places a touring band can get cheap/free food?

tmemike

Through My Eyes
Reaction score
Anyone know of any places a touring band can get cheap/free food? My band is getting pretty good at minimizing food expenses on the road but we can always spend less! Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I was wondering if a band got popular enough do you think they could get sponsored by a fast food company? I mean bands get endorsements energy drink companies and I even knew a local band who was sponsored by Vitamin Water (dudes had cases of the stuff), if so you'd be set for touring (assuming the food company sponsoring the band has locations nation wide)

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
1280px-Mcdonalds-90s-logo.svg.png

broj15

Reaction score
ask the locals. they'll k now where the cheap food is more than anyone, or they might even be willing to feed you.

tmemike

Through My Eyes
Reaction score
A band we played with in the Quad Cities (right by Iowa) called Fallstar is endorsed by vitamin water. That would come in handy on the road for sure!

Dog Boy

Reaction score
Many years ago my band used to hit happy hours. Buy a drink and pig out on cocktail sausages and popcorn!

Ya know I look back on those days and don't remember them fondly.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
You might be in places where you can't rely on this, but Yelp reviews can help you zero in on decent prices combined with good food.

Areas near a college often have cheap food for students.

If you see a construction site, you can often get great cheap eats recommendations from the workers.

Some cities have magazines and newspapers which run cheap eats articles. You can often find them online.

Not directly related, but having a cheap netbook to do internet searches in Starbucks puts a lot of information at your fingertips.

broj15

Reaction score
^^^ reading that reminded me that jimmy johns sells day old loaves of bread for 50 cents each.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
lots of bar and grill type places do cheap appetizer specials for happy hour or during sports. ask around, use the internet.

otherwise there's dumpster dive, food bank, food stamps

you could liberate groceries from shitty chains like wal mart, but I would *never* tell you to steal or advocate breaking the law.

Duosphere

(oYo) Lover
Reaction score
These days touring bands need food?!
We used to get our food right from the source.......... (oYo)

:lol:

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Finding actual nutrients while on tour is a struggle when you have no money. Luckily, on my last tour, two of the venues provided us with free pizza. Other than that, I used to always buy my own stuff before leaving. A cooler filled with ice, lunch meat, a loaf of bread, fruit, and some other snacks that are quick to no prep, like a bag of granola, or some protein bars. Honestly, peanut butter is also a good friend. It's not so much about the quantity of food you eat. You just need the proper amount of nutrients.

Nats

Reaction score
Hope that you're popular enough that locals will like you and feed you. I would totally bbq for a band if I liked them. MAYBE even let them shower at my place if they were respectful and decent humans.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I recently heard about a guy (in Montreal I think?) who was able to live off of dollar store food.

rockskate4x

rockskate4x
Reaction score
Avoid fast food if you possibly can. I even like fast food, but if you are having mcdonalds more than even just couple of days in a row, you are gonna feel like shit for lack of nutrition. That stuff is poison.

')