Anyone owns BOTH Ibanez RG and ESP M-II?

• Thread starter diogoguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I came across an ESP M-II standard series similar to this one, ... coming from Ibanez guitars, I'm a little concerned about the volume knob position of this ESP... Would this one bother me? Anyone knows?
(I can't try before buying... the closest MIJ ESP guitar to me is 1,000 miles away)

A few data points:
1) On an Ibanez , it looks like volume knob is a few millimeters closer to the bridge, just enough for me to not touch it while palm-muting.

2) I've had an ESP Horizon Standard Series . I barely hit the volume knob while playing and it didn't bother me at all... but the Horizon has a recessed volume knob (meaning it is lower than normal)

3) I've had a jackson USA soloist where the volume knob bothered me quite a bit. I moved the volume where the tone control was.. (and got rid of the tone knob). I had another soloist with the more modern volume knob and didn't bother me AT ALL

Thoughts?
gl5zmxdxgma9y3lbzakt.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Don’t have an RG, but have several M-IIs. Most likely you’ll sometimes hit the knob in that spot if playing with your non-pick holding fingers outstretched. I will tap it lightly with my pinky sometimes when playing hard on D string or above. However it doesn’t bother me personally much, and when it does I’ll tend to let my fingers curl in and not hit it at all. I don’t feel like it hurts my playing though, and playing the meedley-meedlies I miss it entirely since my picking is more controlled. I do have one M-II that came with a tiny knurled knob in the usual spot, but I never hit it, bit lower profile and smaller diameter.

Have a feeling based on your Jackson that it will bother you, but a good M-II Standard is a dependable player if you can get over that.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
I do have both.

At some point I finally just started playing with my fingers tucked into my hand. I don’t recall which guitar effected the paradigm shift but it’s made my guitars a lot more fun to play.

This was not helpful for you, but I typed it all out and refuse to delete it.

Best of luck!

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I have 4 RG’s 2 Horizons and 2 MII. Volume knob location on them only bothered me when my technique was less refined, and I would roll the volume down over. But I’ve cleaned things up quite a bit just by slowing down and learning to play a bit more relaxed.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Just learn to adjust your playing, or if it's that much of a bother, move the knob and plug up the whole. Kill-switches with LEDs look cool even if you don't ever use them.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The only thing that really got on my nerves with the Miis I had (apart from three I had with pickguards because I always got custom pickguards made and put the controls where I want) is the fact that they put the volume knob right where I push the tremolo bar down so I go to do a dive and smack the bar on top of the volume knob.

I've had three Miis with pickguards and four that were back routed. For some reason they put the knob in a shitty place on the ones with just the volume and toggle switch.

I've never had that problem with an RG and I'm on like RG number 15 by now.

Every guitar will have its pluses and minuses. Stuff you love and shit that just gets on your fucking nerves.

diogoguitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only thing that really got on my nerves with the Miis I had (apart from three I had with pickguards because I always got custom pickguards made and put the controls where I want) is the fact that they put the volume knob right where I push the tremolo bar down so I go to do a dive and smack the bar on top of the volume knob.

I've had three Miis with pickguards and four that were back routed. For some reason they put the knob in a shitty place on the ones with just the volume and toggle switch.

I've never had that problem with an RG and I'm on like RG number 15 by now.

Every guitar will have its pluses and minuses. Stuff you love and shit that just gets on your fucking nerves.
I keep buying Ibanez RG for the same reason hahahah

Everything is in the place I expect to be. Sure I could move the volume knob a bit more, but it doesn't get in the way like in my old jackson.
I could buy an RG1570 again, but I'm trying to see if I can diversify a bit. I actually just saw a new M-II show up... but I'm not going to spend $3k+, only to find out I don't like the volume knob...

unkkgc3c7ifl6nl28ze8.jpg

')