Anyone play a seven string bass?

• Thread starter Chin-Saw
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chin-Saw

Reaction score
This is my seven string. I plan to upgrade it in the near future, replacing the bridge, tuners, custom strings and electronics. But, this is it as of right now \m/

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davisjom

Reaction score
This is my seven string. I plan to upgrade it in the near future, replacing the bridge, tuners, custom strings and electronics. But, this is it as of right now \m/

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

:scratch: where is it?

7stg

Reaction score
I do. The longer scale is great exercise for guitar. The Conklin GTBD7 neck is ultra thin if that is what you are looking for.

DrAleksi

Reaction score
I've got two seven string basses. A HK fretless electric and a Maestro fretless acoustic. Sorry for the poor quality pics.
The electric has had some work done, it's all set up nicely now. New half-wound strings, lower action, removed the zero fret.
The acoustic is as shown.

Attachments

• Acoustic Bass.jpg
    Acoustic Bass.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 379083_251961098203570_528248992_n.jpg
    379083_251961098203570_528248992_n.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 62

DrJazz

Reaction score
I had a conklin GT-7 for a few years, ended up selling it to thin the herd.

I currently have a custom Liberatore 7 fretless. I'm playing less and less bass as time goes by in favor of guitar, but I still pick this baby up from time to time. Slowly thinking about trading her off for another guitar or pure cash, though, since I'm not playing enough these days, but I'm still clinging to it for those "maybe" scenarios where I'll need a fretless solo somewhere.

Pics included.

Attachments

• Liberatore1.jpg
    Liberatore1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 51
  • Liberatore2.jpg
    Liberatore2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Liberatore3.jpg
    Liberatore3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 30

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
The electric has had some work done, it's all set up nicely now. New half-wound strings, lower action, removed the zero fret.

I really like the idea of a zero fret. But on a fretless? :scratch:

DrAleksi

Reaction score
I really like the idea of a zero fret. But on a fretless?
The zero fret was on the bass when I bought it, and I didn't like it. It was horrifically set up, I'm not gonna lie. Some of the strings didn't even touch that fret. So we took it out and made a really thick nut. It's double the thickness of all the other, probably 3/8 inch.

How well does the plain high string hold up against the wound strings on your fretless?
The original strings on the electric had a wound high F string, 0.018 I think it was. It's now a plain string though. Apart from the slight difference in feel when sliding, I don't notice that it's not a wound string. Tonally it is a very good fit. I will admit having the strings made to order for the instrument though. £50 if I remember correctly, including shipping

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
The zero fret was on the bass when I bought it, and I didn't like it. It was horrifically set up, I'm not gonna lie. Some of the strings didn't even touch that fret.

:eek: Seems unacceptable in any price point. I'm glad it was salvageable!

DrAleksi

Reaction score
Seems unacceptable in any price point

I think the whole thing was £300 with shipping from Germany. The wood is worth about £300 in the UK, just to buy as wood. The pickups would be about £100 (I think), pluss the electronics at another £100... So the whole thing was actually way cheaper than the parts it was made from weirdly. So in context, I really don't mind

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
Ah yes I found a buddy willing to trade a conklin gt7 for my clement so I will be joing the 7-string crew soon

davisjom

Reaction score
I've seen that style 7 string around Ebay for a while. Never pulled the trigger cuz I'm concerned about quality control. How do you feel about it?

')