Anyone play an ESP/LTD F-series?

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I used to think this guitar shape is cringe, but recently idk why but I kinda think it looks cool. Anyone have one of these bad boys? What's your opinion of the F?

How do they balance when you're standing? Is it more horizontal/neck dive-y or does it keep a nice 45° angle (or somewhere in-between?)

images

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mbardu

Reaction score
Had a few of the Edwards versions over the years. I think I probably tried at least one of each color :lol:. Don't recall any particular balance issue. The long horn helps. Have you seen or read something specific that make you concerned?
No other issue with the guitars either for that matter. Pretty solid! Maybe the neck was a bit sticky but that's being nitpicky.

ededed12zXpSv.jpg
edvzp41gvcgh9fakcqxfyv.jpg

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
These things are so odd to me....they either look insanely expensive or absolutely bargain barrel cheap. No in between.

It's the pickup rings I think. Pickup rings immediately scream cheap looking to me, not sure why.

I also think I'd like the overall shape better if it didn't have the random little sharp spots, the basic shape stay the same but smooth it out, that'd be a sick guitar that doesn't look like a 14 year old kid sketched a KISS guitar.

RobDobble6S7

Professional shit talker
Reaction score
I agree with the pickup rings! Although to me every one of these could be 200 or 2,000 dollars lmao

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Had a few of the Edwards versions over the years. I think I probably tried at least one of each color :lol:. Don't recall any particular balance issue. The long horn helps. Have you seen or read something specific that make you concerned?
No other issue with the guitars either for that matter. Pretty solid! Maybe the neck was a bit sticky but that's being nitpicky.

View attachment 95396 View attachment 95395

Nice, that bottom one is the model I was looking at actually (but in a deep red color). I asked about the balance because almost every guitar I've played with a button on the horn goes horizontal and the two guitars I have kept over the years (because they balance well) have the button behind the neck joint. But I've never played a shape that is even remotely like an f-series. And recently I'm hot for some Floyd Rose action with a nice carved neck heel, plus I hate fretboard binding. On paper that Edwards is hitting all the spots.

That mini-toggle splits the neck, right?

spudmunkey

Reaction score

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
To me, it has to be the FRX with that extra "ridge" carved into the top, like these two I saw at Chondro guitars in Waukesha, WI last week. neither have specs I would ever even consider at 1/10th the price of these things, but still.

ESP FRX CAST METAL ANDROMEDA II | Chondro Guitars | Reverb
7Z57uGN.jpg

ESP FRX CTM Magenta Blue Burst | Chondro Guitars | Reverb
mWaPXDc.jpg
Agreed. I’ve got one of the matte black 7 string LTD versions of the FRX. It’s super cool. Ruined by the jatoba pop-brown FB, but one day I’ll get around to dying it.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Is one of the most comfy body shapes ever made. The bevels made it super comfortable, the cutaway access is great and I never found any balance issues with the one that I had that was very very very heavy actually (old F207)

I stillt hunk I should buy one again...

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
Forest GT's (like in OP's post) are slept on heavily, IMO. They can be had for comparatively less money than their Horizon counterparts with identical specs and build quality in most cases. ESP's also released a massive amount of them and there's plenty of variations with wacky options, if that's your thing.

I've straight up seen nice Kiso examples go for less than $1200 CAD in the last few years. I can't speak to the Mr. Bones Wild Ride™ that is 2021 pricing for everything, but in contrast to similar ESP's they've always gone for less, unless they're a unique signature or something. I actually had a discussion with a fellow ESP nut a little while ago with us agreeing that forgoing a stable of Horizons or Snappers you could have double the amount in Forest GTs.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Lynch’s baritone was scoffed at in ‘03 but now seems sought after.

I’ve always loved the F-Series models since I saw Kelly Hayes play one with Cold, just before he got a signature Eclipse.

I do agree with previous sentiments: these are either cheap or expensive feeling - not much in-between.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I had a 7 string one I wish I hadn't gotten rid of, and then a 50 series one that was just kinda meh. I think I gave that one to someone who was wanting to learn how to play guitar.

I really should get another one one of these days.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Never played one - but just talking about the shape, I feel like I always liked it more on bass than on guitar for whatever reason. Like Firebird/Thunderbird.

Alex79

Reaction score
Lynch’s baritone was scoffed at in ‘03 but now seems sought after.

I’ve always loved the F-Series models since I saw Kelly Hayes play one with Cold, just before he got a signature Eclipse.

I do agree with previous sentiments: these are either cheap or expensive feeling - not much in-between.

I have the Lynch Baritone (LTD model of course). The Lynch model is actually based on the bass guitar with the cutout in the back and with the heavy inlays and flame paintjob it is definitely not everybody's taste. I like the inlays, but TBH I'd prefer it in plain black.
Anyway, as said, the long upper horn means it balances perfectly even as a baritone and upper fret access is awesome (mine has a set-thru neck that feels like neck-thru). Ergonomics are great with this guitar, but I can't say how the different strap position influences it. Mine is ridiculously light in weight. Tonally it's ok, the mids could be more interesting and prominent. It's a baritone after all and baritones often are a bit more difficult in that respect.

It doesn't fit very well in a guitar stand.

Codeman

Reaction score
I used to think this guitar shape is cringe, but recently idk why but I kinda think it looks cool. Anyone have one of these bad boys? What's your opinion of the F?

How do they balance when you're standing? Is it more horizontal/neck dive-y or does it keep a nice 45° angle (or somewhere in-between?)

images

Actually thats Forest-GT/F-GT, as far as I know a japan exclusive and guitar-shape only available as Grassroots/Edwards/ESP.

Usually when mentioning F series I think of the original Forest-G/F sold worldwide as LTD/EII/Grassroots/Edwards/ESP and available for both guitar and bass.

The evolutions of these designs are the Reindeer and Antelope (japan exclusives) and the FRX sold worldwide

I love this design and own a LTD F bass, LTD F Guitar, Grassroots F-GT and a 2003 Reindeer replica.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
I know this is kinda cringe but i've semi-actively been keeping an eye out for a decent F4xx with the tribal inlays...

I've always thought the F was a cool metal-style take on a still-strat-shaped double cut body.

')