Anyone tried the Bugera 333 head so far?

• Thread starter Spoongirl
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spoongirl

Bunnies :wub:
Reaction score
Heey guys :D!!!

The other day I was walking downtown when I saw this cheapass tube head (by cheapass I mean it was cheap :lol: I don't know how does it sounds) It was like around US 666 (believe me, for a tubehead, that's REALLY CHEAP here in Chile)
I was in a hurry and I didn't have the time to try it, so I don't really know if it sucks. Anyone in here has played it?
:shred::shred::shred::shred:

:wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
^ That's the general consensus. They sound very similar to Peavey amps (the 333 being an XXX clone), but there's an off chance that it will crap out on you as well. If it comes with a good warranty then I wouldn't be as worried, so long as it sounds good. I was thinking of getting one at one point, but I may just wait until they get their QC up to standard.

manicsix

Reaction score
I tried a 6262 head through a 1960A. It sounded surprisingly good, but buggered if I'll ever buy one.

I'll take peavey & USA made any day. Peaveys are quite affordable, Bugera should have cloned something none of us can afford.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think the 333 is the JSX clone and the 333XL is the XXX one.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
i have a 333XL absolutely great, not sure about the 333 though, isnt it the same but one channel less and without the XL switches?

I don't know, all i know is that the 333XL is really good, and for the price its amazing, also... The 333xl is a JSX clone, and the thing is, satch was using mesa boogies when peavey approached him for a sponsorship, he agreed but said, i want it to sound like my current rig, so they made the JSX. This means that the 333xl is pretty much a mesa copy

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
Almost...sorta.

The XXX was PV's answer to the mesa in which the red channel of JSX is based off XXX. So yeah, that made it easy for PV to go with Joe's request.

JSX's green (or yellow?) channel is a channel based off a Classic 50. I forgot what the other one was though.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Ive never heard of joe clinging much to mesas... He used marshall 6100s for a lot of early stuff, then switched to touring strictly with a backline of peavey XXXs. When they offered him an endorsement, the JSX was created.
I always thought the xxx was built around suggestions made by George Lynch, but can't seem to find any such record.... I cant have dreamed that.

*edit*
George Lynch And Peavey Collaborate To Create The Triple XXX

Reaction score
Yes, the XXX was a Lynch idea, it fell through however and Peavey put out the XXX anyways. Personally I think George was smart for going with the Lynch Box. And no, the JSX isn't designed after a mesa. You can get mesa like sounds from it, but it was NOT designed to mimic a mesa. Classic 50, Classic 30, XXX, and Marshall, yes, but not mesa.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
Shane used to be endorsed by Bugera, he said they sound great, this wasn't the cause for the end of it though, reliability was.
As someone already said: if you get a nice warranty for it, go ahead.

manicsix

Reaction score
Yes, the XXX was a Lynch idea, it fell through however and Peavey put out the XXX anyways. Personally I think George was smart for going with the Lynch Box. And no, the JSX isn't designed after a mesa. You can get mesa like sounds from it, but it was NOT designed to mimic a mesa. Classic 50, Classic 30, XXX, and Marshall, yes, but not mesa.

Someone may be confusing this also;

The Peavey 5150 (and Mesa Dual Rectifier) were both based directly on the SLO-100. (Interestingly Lynch was also a SLO-100 user).

Also, the XXX existed in the form of the Ultra/Ultra plus before it became the XXX and looked like a ripoff of a rectifier.

Most new amps are built from existing designs though, why reinvent the wheel.

But Bugera is just that bit more blatant about copying.

Tukaar

Bringer of DOOOOOOOM
Reaction score
Guys, I actually know for a fact that Bugera ripped off Peavey. My friend Roach was testing a few out awhile back and the owner of the music store he was at said that (I think) James Brown used to work for Peavey building circuit boards and then went to Bugera (Behringer) and started building amps for them. He said that he had done maintenence on a few of them, and James Brown's signature was on all of the circuit boards.

Now, we all know that Bugeras SOUND similar to Peaveys, but did you know that they use essentially the EXACT SAME circuit layout?

(Note: We THINK his name was James Brown. Look into it yourselves, guys!)

Because of these similarities we've found, It dosen't surprise us that Bugera/ Behringer is in the middle of a lawsuit with Peavey!

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
well you can't copyright circuits if I remember so the lawsuit would have to be on something different than that

')