Anyone tried this tuning?

Reaction score
Hey all, ive been contemplating tuning my 7 to D#2, A#2, F3, A#3, D#4, G4, C5, as my 6's are currently tuned to that minus the low D# (drop A#/Bb).

I was wondering if anyone here has used this tuning, or anything similar? eg. Bottom 3 strings in 5ths. Also any suggestions for the most appropriate gauge to use for the low D# on a 25.5" scale.

Im also aware that the D# will most likely sound like shit with such a short scale length, im just curious to explore the tunings possibilities.
Thanks for any insight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's similar to Fripp's New Standard Tuning -- The lowest four strings are tuned in Fifths, like a cello.

Ray

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
I'm totally confused :lol:

How'd you manage to get a string to tune to C5? Sooo high pitched.

You could uh, use a .042-.046 for a D# / Eb 2.

cob

Metalest man alive
Reaction score
Try some super heavy guages. my low B is current a .58 and when I have a lower tuning, I use a .72. You may have to make the hole in your peg bigger but I guarentee if you use a set like .72 .58 .48 .42 .36 .24 .13, that tuning should work pretty well.

sepherus

The Crimson Comedian
Contributor
Reaction score
Cheesebuischut, I am pretty sure he means an octave down from everything he typed, which would make more sense.

Bloodrunk, you do mean tuned down low past Meshuggah, not Eb like Slayer and The Haunted right?

Edit: seconding cob on the string gauge thing too. Even bigger if you can manage to find it.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all, ive been contemplating tuning my 7 to D#2, A#2, F3, A#3, D#4, G4, C5, as my 6's are currently tuned to that minus the low D# (drop A#/Bb).

I was wondering if anyone here has used this tuning, or anything similar? eg. Bottom 3 strings in 5ths. Also any suggestions for the most appropriate gauge to use for the low D# on a 25.5" scale.

Im also aware that the D# will most likely sound like shit with such a short scale length, im just curious to explore the tunings possibilities.
Thanks for any insight.

What string are you using to get a C5? The only one I know of that makes these strings is Garry Goodman and thy're not generally sold to the public. If you meant C4 like the same C found on the first fret of a guitar's high B, than that makes more sense. The only other way to get a C5 is to have your scale length shorter than 20".

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys, and im sorry if what i have asked was a little confusing. I was under the impression that the high e in standard tuning is E5, so following my logic (if it's correct) C5 is 2 tones below that e? I could be wrong, feel free to correct me on this one.

The low D# that im refering to would be an octave and a half step below the low E in standard, and the A# (previously low E) is a half step below low B. So it would be like drop A#/Bb on a 6 string with an extra LOW D#.

Im currently using .70, .52, .38, .28, .18p, .14, .10 for my 7's (tuned to A# standard), and .66, .50, .36, .24, .15, .11 for my 6's (tuned to drop A#), so i was thinking that i may need something like a .80 or .84 to hold the low D#, if not something thicker to try and compensate for the standard scale length.

I hope this clarifies what i was asking, and sorry to confuse anyone (cheesebiscuit lol).

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I know TheDarkWolf has used those same intervals but tuned to a higher pitch (FCGCFAD and GDADGBE). I don't think he posts here much anymore though (if at all). When he did, he mentioned using an Elixir 68 gauge for the low F and being surprised at how well it worked. My guess is that an 84 can hold down a D#. It'd be floppy though, like the 42 in a 9 gauge set tuned down a half-step. If you're used to that kind of tension, you could totally get it to work playability-wise. I'm not sure about the sound though. TheDarkWolf only had intonation problems above the 15th fret using the F on standard scale. It'd probably intonate in the lower register, but using it higher up on the neck would sound like sonic ass. :2c:

Jango

Reaction score
What about tuning to CABBAGE? I plan on doing it as soon as my get my first seven (hopefully end of next week)

LLink2411

Banned
Reaction score
9481-cabbage-eye_w.jpg

I see what you did there...

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score

Thanks for any insight.

I'm rewriting that tuning to make it make more sense:

Eb-Bb-F-Bb-Eb-G-C

Jango

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering writing a song in CABBAGE. Or, as suggested on the seven string thread on UG, BEAFAG XD Just for the novelty of it.

Latest posts

')