Anyone tune to A?

• Thread starter Monolith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
My band tunes down to A, but to be honest, I hate it. That may sound strange, but I came in late and that was the way things already were. It's ridiculously low...especially when you consider that the bassist is bangin that low A somewhere around the bottom of the human hearing register.

Having said that, If you wanna hear it, check our MySpace page. We're in the process of changing providers on our main site, but there's a couple of clips on the MySpace thing...

http://www.myspace.com/thirteenx

macalpine88

Reaction score
just out of curiosity, what gauge strings do you have to use if it is tuned so low

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
I go 09-58 and the low A is pretty flappy...but if I wanted heavier strings than that, I'd play bass :nono:

The other guitar player in the band has a .70 low A. Ridiculous.... :noway:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
I go 09-58 and the low A is pretty flappy...but if I wanted heavier strings than that, I'd play bass :nono:

The other guitar player in the band has a .70 low A. Ridiculous.... :noway:

Sounds like a similiar situation with my band. When I joined End Theory, they were in Drop A. A 56 was too floppy, but I bumped up to a 60 & everything feels fine now. My other guitarist uses a 70 on his baritone 6. Again...ridiculous. :)

By the way, good some clips!

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
Thanks Rev...hey...didn't you (maybe you still do) used to hang on jemsite? I know I've seen that name before....

jski7

Reaction score
macalpine88 said:
just out of curiosity, what gauge strings do you have to use if it is tuned so low
I use a 10-60 set , Dean Markley LTHB-7 is the name . The 60 is big , but works really well at tightening the bottom end up . Not floppy at all . :metal:

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
Thanks Rev...hey...didn't you (maybe you still do) used to hang on jemsite? I know I've seen that name before....

Oh yes, Revsharp777 is my username on here, ERG, Jemsite, & a billion other message boards. ;)

Vacant

Seven Strings
Reaction score
If I was going to go to A, or lower, I'd personal rather have a Baritone Guitar, because I believe my purpose for having my 7 is to extend my range, not lower it. Also theres badass Baritone work by Petrucci on Blind Faith :metal:

macalpine88

Reaction score
Chris said:
I go 10-60.

wow i have a 54 for the b now, i think ill grab some tens and just mess around with A tuning. nothing is worse than a rubber band B string

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
you know what's fun? Using the digitech whammy pedal to make my standard-tuned 7-string sound like it's in A tuning. The tracking is pretty damn good and this saves all the time and trouble of re-setting action and springs to tune down to a tuning I'd only use on occasion.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
I use .010-.060 but I could conceive of going a bit heavier on the low B. I do drop A quite a bit, but never lower than that. And I have an extended scale seven.

I tend to use more open tunings. Either that or standard or drop A. I love open tunings, they're great songwriting tools.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
I tried both a .058 and .060 as a Ab, the .058 was too floppy, the .060 was too boomy. :(

Maybe it's those bad pickups you're using. :p :D

Seriously though, I use a .060 for my low B and it's totally clear. I really do think it has a lot to do with the pickups; my bridge pickup is a Duncan JB-7, very trebly and clear.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Mind Riot said:
Maybe it's those bad pickups you're using. :p :D

Seriously though, I use a .060 for my low B and it's totally clear. I really do think it has a lot to do with the pickups; my bridge pickup is a Duncan JB-7, very trebly and clear.

:p

It has more to do with what type of gain you're running and what type of music you're playing, IMO. Most of the riffs I write that low are either gallop-based or trem-picked. If I ever did get another 7, I think I'd bite the bullet and get EMGs.

The .060 I had was a GHS too, and they might use a different wrap to core ratio. Oh well, I'll never know, because I like higher tunings now. :)

Those recordings aren't bad tone wise I guess, just the last three were done very fast as demos of what a certain progression would be like. lol It's like letting people hear you mumble to yourself. lol

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
Drew said:

stop tempting us with stuff we cant even buy yet!! :scream: :scream2: :scream:

I used to tune my 7620 to open A, but then I decided it was way to flubby for what I like to play, so then I started tuning the whole thing up to open B.

Vacant

Seven Strings
Reaction score
revsharp777 said:
Isn't lower it extending it? :scratch:

What I mean is that going from 6 to 7 lets me go lower but keep my highs. Basically saying I play the seven string so I could go as low as I needed while going as high as I needed, and tuning down further defeats the purpose for me. If i made any sense :cool:. If not, just forget I said anything :nuts:

')