Anyone tune to A?

• Thread starter Monolith
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Vacant said:
What I mean is that going from 6 to 7 lets me go lower but keep my highs. Basically saying I play the seven string so I could go as low as I needed while going as high as I needed, and tuning down further defeats the purpose for me. If i made any sense :cool:. If not, just forget I said anything :nuts:

Gotcha...I think. :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
:p

It has more to do with what type of gain you're running and what type of music you're playing, IMO. Most of the riffs I write that low are either gallop-based or trem-picked. If I ever did get another 7, I think I'd bite the bullet and get EMGs.

I'd probably do the same thing. I totally love my Blackjack seven with the Duncans, but I admit it'd be pretty cool to have a seven with EMG's. If I had money pouring out my ears I'd probably get one of the new Schecter Hellraisers. :hbang:

Monolith

Reaction score
Awesome awesome awesome. I'll soon be playing king diamond covers In Ab.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I tune to ADGCFAD. I currently am using a Duncan JB-7 in an Ibanez AX7221 with 13-70 strings. Sounds perfectly clear and defined. Only thing is I'm gonna drop to 11-66's cause there's a bit too much tension. Tiring, and sore, on the fingers.

Rev.

EverDream

Reaction score
I tune to Drop-G using .010 - .060

but my next set waiting in my package is .013 - .084 because I'm going to low-low E for some insane fun :shred:

tuning will be: EADGCFA

and, yes... I am insane :)!

No Soul

bringer of mosh
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
My band tunes down to A, but to be honest, I hate it. That may sound strange, but I came in late and that was the way things already were. It's ridiculously low...especially when you consider that the bassist is bangin that low A somewhere around the bottom of the human hearing register.

Having said that, If you wanna hear it, check our MySpace page. We're in the process of changing providers on our main site, but there's a couple of clips on the MySpace thing...

http://www.myspace.com/thirteenx

yeah, I used to think tuning to A was cool when I was maybe 16.
I actually tune my 7620 UP to open B.

EverDream

Reaction score
Drop A/D I don't like, and that's because then it's hard to do a power chord using the 7th string as the root note, instead it makes all the root notes on a one finger power chord on the 6th string, and then the 7th string note is a lower 5th to the root, and to me adding 5ths lower than the roots sound pretty bad any lower than maybe a B power chord with an added F# on a standard E tuned 6 string guitar.

but of course if you like it, then go for it!! it would be like for example, you bar the 3rd fret in drop A/D tuning, you'd be baring 4 strings... and you'd get.... (low to high) CFCF and that is an F power chord, but as you can see the C is the 5th and there is a lower fifth in there.

So yeah that's what that does :)

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
EverDream said:
I tune to Drop-G using .010 - .060

but my next set waiting in my package is .013 - .084 because I'm going to low-low E for some insane fun :shred:

tuning will be: EADGCFA

and, yes... I am insane :)!

You might want to check out the Warmoth Baritone 7 neck.....probably the only neck I can think of that will intonate properly! I could be wrong though.

EverDream

Reaction score
yeah I'm well aware of the intonation thing, my hope is that at least the first 4 frets are intonated because that's the only frets I care about on the 7th string really, I use the last 2 strings mainly for rhythm, so it's no big deal, however I would like to one day have a baritone, I can't buy the warmoth because my schecter has a set in neck, not a bolt on. I emailed EKG guitars asking for a quote on a possible 8 string baritone but they won't respond to me, I emailed them twice now!!

If anyone knows where I can have an 8 string custom made where the price is not too insane, like under $1,500 for sure (I don't need fancy stuff just a basic guitar the only important 2 things to me are 8 strings and baritone, but that's only because I'm not that rich, lol) please let me know, thanks :)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I tune to drop C, but my 7th is tuned to drop F. Been playing this tuning, or variation thereof, for almost 4 years now.

Regor

Double Edge FTW
Contributor
Reaction score
I just retuned my RG7621 back to A, and man does it feel good. Can't wait to build my FF chops back up playing along to Obsolete and shit. Not to mention I never got around to learning stuff from Archetype.

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
i want 2 seven strings, one in the standard 7 tuning and the other in drop A cause thats low enough for me.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Always. I have my 7620 tuned AEADGBE and my PWH is standard as my S 7420 sometimes baritone tuning- BEADF#BE. The beauty of tunings.
A is what I played all along. I started to move up to B because I was sick of A. Now with multible 7's, I can keep different tunings.;)

theunforgiven246

BEHOLD KLUMPAMUS PRIME!
Reaction score
i was thinking about doing the baritone tuning on a 7 string but then i would need 2 more but i woulndt mind having 4 7 strings (but i need 1 to begin with).

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Baritone tuning is fun. Writing leads in that tuning takes a little getting used since the G is F#.;)

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
I used to tune my 7 to F# B E A D G b
then i went to C# F# B E A D G - being like 2 lower strings than a regular 7. I used a .80 for the lowest string. Thats almost an octave lower than your regular low B. The tone was shit but it was so much fun to muck around with. Nowadays I'm standard B to e, but i want to get an 8 string to have the low F# up to high e.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Matt said:
I used to tune my 7 to F# B E A D G b
then i went to C# F# B E A D G - being like 2 lower strings than a regular 7. I used a .80 for the lowest string. Thats almost an octave lower than your regular low B. The tone was shit but it was so much fun to muck around with. Nowadays I'm standard B to e, but i want to get an 8 string to have the low F# up to high e.
Exactly, man. Thats what I was talking about. My friend did that with his 7.
He was missing the high E. If he had the high E, it would be an 8-string.

That said, I think since you're used to that tuning, you'd be able to play an 8-string no problem. ;)

')