Anyone Use Drop G Tuning?

• Thread starter Se7enMeister
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Not drop G, but my band plays with standard-interval G tuning. I won't make any claims to never going lower, though.

Vairocarnal

...is something.
Reaction score
No dropped G, just standard B tuning dropped 2 steps and I won't change it for the world.
I like my low E being at the same note as a bass' low E on the 3rd fret.

Baphomet_Reich

Reaction score
I had all my strings down one step, then took the low A to G. Was pretty brutal sounding, but I havent been in that tuning in a while.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to tune to A standard, but found that to be too low, so i tuned back up to B. I'm a minority here ;p

DevourTheDamned

Fossicker
Reaction score
man ive just stuck with B standard, Bb and drop A.
Ive considered going to drop G but idk if i would get alot of output, but then again, my loomis does have 707s :D
anyone know how well a loomis will hold drop G?

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Should be able to hold it fine, in theory.

Valeth

Very Hungry
Reaction score
I do, it just makes all the songs I write sound better to me. But then I have to tune up everytime I go to Jazz Ensemble. Only one solution to my problem: another 7. :hbang:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I used to tune to A standard, but found that to be too low, so i tuned back up to B. I'm a minority here ;p

Same here. I started out in B standard, then tuned to A standard because the other guitarist in my band played in one step down on a six, but I thought A was just way too low and I quit that band and tuned back up to B standard. And I've played in standard every since I first bought my first seven with the exception of the few months I was in that band.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
My K-7 came factory tuned to A standard, but I wanted it in B so I could play all the stuff I learned on my EADGBE Les Paul. I havnt changed the tuning on it and never will, and I keep my RG2228 in its standard tuning (the one it comes tuned as anyway) which is F#BEADGBE.

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I tune my 7 anywhere from C standard to Open C with the low G. I'm considering trying Drop G once I get a thicker low string.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
I use a weird version of drop G in one of my bands songs. What would drop D with a dropped G be called?

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
I'm tuned kind of close to G.

Right now I' using G# C# F# B E g# c#

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
I just tried Drop-G on my Yamaha but it sounded like arse :lol:

I would need to invest in some thicker strings I think. I couldn't believe the loss of tone I got when I went from Drop-A to Drop-G, even after messing with settings etc.

But I was using a 10-59 set :lol:

I just don't think I would need to go that low... (Blasphemous words I know!)

DarkKnight369

Schecter Whore
Reaction score
I have toyed with the idea of drop G. It really does sound brutal. I do like drop A for me, which is new considering I am used to B standard. If I went any lower than G, I would get an 8 string though.

Latest posts

')