Anyone Use Drop G Tuning?

• Thread starter Se7enMeister
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

danielzabolotny

Reaction score
I almost exclusively use drop G# tuning on my 7, primarily because of a double-locking Floyd. A lot of songs that I know and like are in A or higher, but my band plays in G. So I compromised and put it in G#. Playing post-hardcore songs in G# is a lot of fun, haha.

For strings, I use Ernie Ball .11's. My 7 has a 25 inch scale, which holds G# pretty well.

Reaction score
I play my Omen 8 in drop G (g,d,g,c,e,a,d,g) and it sounds like its made of testicles! :) I love it. I've transposed all my bands songs into that tuning i love it so much. probably going to kick the pickups and shop for some new ones though.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I fucked with it for a while. I wasn't a fan of the note (yes, I hate the sound of G. No clue why) so I went back to Drop A. That's my current favorite tuning :D

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I use "Drop A" with a low 68. I like the sounds of G and G#, but the string doesn't retain the tension or clarity when I move down lower. It becomes very quiet.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
My tuning is D standard with an A on the bottom; mainly because most of my band's material is in D standard and I wanted to have my 7 to cover all of the band's material as well as being able to expand onto it. It's perfect because I usually play it as a 6 string, but then I have these really cool alternate voicings and extensions that I can do to existing songs to make things sound even better.

The other guitarist is going to be getting an 8 string soon... so imagine a folk metal band with 7 and 8 string guitarists..... down a step. :lol:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My tuning is D standard with an A on the bottom; mainly because most of my band's material is in D standard and I wanted to have my 7 to cover all of the band's material as well as being able to expand onto it. It's perfect because I usually play it as a 6 string, but then I have these really cool alternate voicings and extensions that I can do to existing songs to make things sound even better.

The other guitarist is going to be getting an 8 string soon... so imagine a folk metal band with 7 and 8 string guitarists..... down a step. :lol:

That's just A standard. :lol:

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
Anyone know why a .68 on a 26.5 scale guitar sounds weird in anything lower than A?

bluffalo

Reaction score
I had my two 7's in drop G as the band's stuff I was learning to fill in for were written in that. I don't like it on a 25.5 but it's fine on a 27.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
My band plays in G.

Its honestly my fav tuning besides drop B lol

jazz_munkyy

Reaction score
i use drop G when im just pissing around on my vendetta 1.7 i like it more so for the cleans, but other than that, my guitar is usually in F standard, or A standard

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
I couldn't get drop G to sound halfway decent on my RG7321, but on my Pendulum, properly set up, it sounds awesome.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
That's just A standard. :lol:

Technically speaking, to my knowledge it's D standard because tunings are based off of the highest string. EG. If you're in standard tuning with a D on the top it would be ADGCFAD. Whereas if you were to be in A standard it would be ADGCEA with a bass E on the bottom :lol:

That's just what I've been told by several guitar techies, which I guess it's only common amongst them because it does make a lot of sense to standardize which way you look at the tunings.

musicman420

Reaction score
i just tuned from drop g# to drop g on my JP7 BFR using the Ernie Ball Cobalt 7 string ST/HB and love it :hbang:. It was too tight in g# but lowering it that little bit made all the difference with it. I wont be going any lower [thats what 8 strings are for:yesway:]

')