Anyone use the line six gearbox for good bass tones.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Before we start, I am not someone who will spend hours tweaking a tone to put in my bank of millions of other tones that sound the same. I actually don't know what a lot of things that make a good tone are/do, what some would call a tone noob, a rare breed on this site.
This is the thingie-ma-do in question.
_c348578_image_0.jpg

I have never really used it before, but I moved to university halls of residence a few days ago and could not really bring my amp. I found a pre-set called progressive metal chops that sounded the best out of everything, but it still lacks something. I think I am looking for something between modern progressive metal (BtBaM) and death metal (blotted science / spawn of possession).
If anyone can give me any pointers or if anyone uses this hardware can share what they use that would be great!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Bump. I would also like some help dialing in these exact same kind of tones. I'm new to trying to get good bass tone, I just picked up a Ibanez BTB 1406e 6 string after owning a cheap ibby 4 string for 8 years. I only just concurred my tone search for guitar (temporarily) after 11 years of playing... I would like my bass search to be far less time consuming if possible haha.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Is your goal to get these tones through your headphones for solo practice or are you wanting to get these types of tones to come across in recordings? Two totally different things.

First get some new steel strings if you havent already.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
If the they are two completely different things, then all I can do is ask for both. Thought the headphone tone will get much more use.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
I have the exact same device and you will have a hard time dialing in decent recording tones for guitar OR bass. It is doable, but you'll be spending a lot of time. There are a lot of variables though - and tone is completely subjective so you'll just have to play with it awhile. I noticed that the bass tones are almost always too quiet though, so you'll have to bump the volume up.

edit: when I get home from work I can share some screenshots of the tones I use.

TylerRay

LP Addict
Reaction score
Wow, Gearbox is such an OLD program! I used to have it on my laptop when I was 16 haha. I didn't know you could even get it anymore. Thought everyone upgraded to podfarm 2 or something.

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
I have had it for quite a while, but never needed it until now. I just moved into halls of residence at my university, so plugging my bass into my laptop and adding headphones really helps me out. I was just wondering if there were any go to tones.

To be honest my knowledge of tones stops after basic EQ. I dont know things like gates, compression and where to put them in the row

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
heh, i still use that same unit (but with podfarm, easier program to use imo) hooked up to monitors when I play in my room. I got it for $100 when they were clearing them out like 4 or 5 years ago. If you don't have the metal pack installed, I'd recommend it. (if its the gearbox gold plugin, it comes with the metal pack and all other packs).

Like all line 6 gear, it will take alot of tweaking. Its the same sound as the podXT, so all podXT patches should work. I've made some headphones patches that (in my opinion) sound pretty good with most of my guitars, it just takes alot of work, you've got to learn how the eq's on the amps work. some amps, like the big bottom for instance, have some really funky control interaction.

I'd recommend a read through this thread,

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/66324-pod-recording-tips-tricks-eq-ing-thread.html

theres some good tips in there.