Anyone using extended range (8+) guitars for other than technical and/or metal?

• Thread starter SevenString
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenString

RJ-D0 : Heavy Metal Droid
Reaction score
I like technical and progressive metal as much as the next guy. For instance, Symphony-X is one of my favorite bands, and I dig certain extended range metal players such as Devin Townsend.

However, after just one cover gig, my C-8 has become my new favorite "all around" guitar.

So, anyone out there with an 8 who ISN'T chug-chug-chugging, wheedely-wheedely-wheedeling, or comping jazz chords over bass lines?

:wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GorillaSalsa

Reaction score
My 8 is my only guitar, and I consider most of the stuff I write to be in the same vein as Piglet, Maps & Atlases and Tera Melos.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's added lower range is great for experimental, effect heavy stuff. I love using some of the more "out there" patches in Guitar Rig with it.

SevenString

Reaction score
I don't know about the other bands, but I would consider Maps and Atlases "technical", and re. MaxOfMetal's post, I supposed I should have added a category like "experimental" to my list of excluded styles.

So, I'll try again. Is anyone using an 8+ in more "mainstream" music situations (pop, mainstream rock, country, cover bands, etc.) where one would be surprised to see an 8? :idea:

Deadseen

Reaction score
Classical music has everything from 8-13 strings, some jazz dudes have 8 string, and then there seems to be a lot of touchstyle players that have sticks and warr guitars and similar things.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about the other bands, but I would consider Maps and Atlases "technical", and re. MaxOfMetal's post, I supposed I should have added a category like "experimental" to my list of excluded styles.

So, I'll try again. Is anyone using an 8+ in more "mainstream" music situations (pop, mainstream rock, country, cover bands, etc.) where one would be surprised to see an 8? :idea:

Sometimes I'll just play some blues and classic rock kinda stuff, and even a little country as of late, but nothing in a band/live situation. I rarely go too low though. In most cases I'll just use the extra strings to play in a single position. I simply haven't found a great use for the lower notes in too many styles. I know there's tons of potential, I just haven't tapped into it yet. The more I play my 8, the more I want to tune BEADGBEA.

SevenString

Reaction score
Sometimes I'll just play some blues and classic rock kinda stuff, and even a little country as of late, but nothing in a band/live situation. I rarely go too low though. In most cases I'll just use the extra strings to play in a single position. I simply haven't found a great use for the lower notes in too many styles. I know there's tons of potential, I just haven't tapped into it yet. The more I play my 8, the more I want to tune BEADGBEA.

I've found the 8 useful (especially for clean stuff) already in a live setting.

For instance, there's a great song called Wichita Lineman that I cover. Tonight, the extra strings made for a great baritone "country" solo. A very simple melody, but it had a real "twangy" authenticity to it.

It's also cool to go down to a big fat power A (or G) to end certain rock songs. For instance, the ending of Highway Star was "bigger" because I could play that fat A.

Just a couple of examples.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't play an 8 string per se, at least I don't own one but I've played them before, but I do play 7 strings all the time and love to play post rock on it, and I think an 8 string would make an excellent post rock instrument

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
I am actually finding it really useful for transposing songs on the fly - I know that in past bands, when auditioning singers we had some really good ones come through that we rejected just because they would strain when trying to sing in the standard 6-string guitar keys (which are on the high side as singers go).

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps you should modify your question.

The music behind Pop, today at least, can be anything from Country-ish Rock to Hard Rock, "Covers" is also too general a term as you can have technical and Metal covers.

I don't think the 8-string has taken off as much outside the realms of technical music. Technically, if you need to use all 8 strings, in all likeliness the music you'll be playing will be somewhat technical. If you're only gonna use a given range for the music anyways, then even if your guitar has 8-strings, not using some defeats the purpose.

I see what you mean by being able to play some songs that were written on a baritone or other low-strung 6-string, especially in a cover situation. Though, I can think of a lot more Technical and/or Metal music played in those low tunings then I can think of Country or Bluegrass.

Like I said in my other post, I know the potential is there, it's just I can't seem to use all 8-strings in a song without doing something technical. Even when it comes to chord construction.

SevenString

Reaction score
Perhaps you should modify your question.

The music behind Pop, today at least, can be anything from Country-ish Rock to Hard Rock, "Covers" is also too general a term as you can have technical and Metal covers.

I don't think the 8-string has taken off as much outside the realms of technical music. Technically, if you need to use all 8 strings, in all likeliness the music you'll be playing will be somewhat technical. If you're only gonna use a given range for the music anyways, then even if your guitar has 8-strings, not using some defeats the purpose.

I see what you mean by being able to play some songs that were written on a baritone or other low-strung 6-string, especially in a cover situation. Though, I can think of a lot more Technical and/or Metal music played in those low tunings then I can think of Country or Bluegrass.

Like I said in my other post, I know the potential is there, it's just I can't seem to use all 8-strings in a song without doing something technical. Even when it comes to chord construction.

THAT'S what I was getting at. :yesway:

Riffmagus

Reaction score
I bagged myself an 8 string - thinking I would spend my time gravitating towards some more Meshuggah type stuff. All it has done is make me realise what my meager strengths are - and stick to them. Sure, the f# might be a bugger to initially incorporate into ideas - but it will get there. I'm just excited to be able to get the ideas in my head out through my fingers. The main thing is, I'm having fun and wanting to play guitar in a new way all over again. For me, that speaks volumes.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I almost didn't answer this, given how more and more limits were being put on the question, but I occasionally use one of my eight-strings to combine the bass and guitar parts for straightforward R&B and for salsa music. Given how the bass and guitar parts interlock for a lot of Motown and salsa, though (think "Mustang Sally"), I'm sure it's too technical.

Anything which requires technique is technical. Riffage has been ruled out. Chords and basslines combined have been ruled out, so salsa and R&B and funk are out. Only open chords and melodic work are allowed. Given the limits put on technique, is it any surprise that there are no good examples?

I do use my Intrepid Pro not only for tapping (too technical, obviously), but also to emulate bowed instruments down to bowed bass range through the use of an eBow, or to play mando-family instrumental parts for folk/traditional music (processing the sound to emulate the doubled strings in each course). Perhaps that manages to avoid breaking the arbitrary rules... but I'm really not worried about whether it does or not.

I think it is more interesting to just ask what genres eight-strings are being used besides the norm and left it at that, so that you would have gotten answers which might seem to be disqualified by added limits, but which still might have surprised you. There is so much good funk and dance music which fits perfectly on an eight-string tuned EADGCFAD (low to high), but that violates the rules against technique.

----

I decided to answer purely to open up the question a bit. In spite of the limits which have been imposed, I'd love to hear what ideas other forum members have for expanding the usage of eight-string instruments, whether they fit the allowed genres/techniques or not. :wavey:

And, given that I'd never even heard of "technical" music before the title of this thread, it makes me laugh that a new genre label can be used to rule out so much when the genre label might not even carry any weight with the general population of musicians. "I play technical? I never knew that!" *laugh* :cool:

SevenString

Reaction score
I almost didn't answer this, given how more and more limits were being put on the question, but I occasionally use one of my eight-strings to combine the bass and guitar parts for straightforward R&B and for salsa music. Given how the bass and guitar parts interlock for a lot of Motown and salsa, though (think "Mustang Sally"), I'm sure it's too technical.

Anything which requires technique is technical. Riffage has been ruled out. Chords and basslines combined have been ruled out, so salsa and R&B and funk are out. Only open chords and melodic work are allowed. Given the limits put on technique, is it any surprise that there are no good examples?

I do use my Intrepid Pro not only for tapping (too technical, obviously), but also to emulate bowed instruments down to bowed bass range through the use of an eBow, or to play mando-family instrumental parts for folk/traditional music (processing the sound to emulate the doubled strings in each course). Perhaps that manages to avoid breaking the arbitrary rules... but I'm really not worried about whether it does or not.

I think it is more interesting to just ask what genres eight-strings are being used besides the norm and left it at that, so that you would have gotten answers which might seem to be disqualified by added limits, but which still might have surprised you. There is so much good funk and dance music which fits perfectly on an eight-string tuned EADGCFAD (low to high), but that violates the rules against technique.

----

I decided to answer purely to open up the question a bit. In spite of the limits which have been imposed, I'd love to hear what ideas other forum members have for expanding the usage of eight-string instruments, whether they fit the allowed genres/techniques or not. :wavey:

And, given that I'd never even heard of "technical" music before the title of this thread, it makes me laugh that a new genre label can be used to rule out so much when the genre label might not even carry any weight with the general population of musicians. "I play technical? I never knew that!" *laugh* :cool:

Well, feel free to hijack my thread and "open it up" because you don't quite get where I was coming from. :rolleyes:

Oh well, It was probably a waste of time anyway.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
It's great stuff, but I would call this "technical". See thread title.

You think so? I guess it depends on what you call "technical." It does look difficult if you're not good at two hand tapping (like me) but the music is pretty normal sounding. This could be played on two guitars, both would have to be 8 strings, but the parts could be played separately by two people, and then that wouldn't be technical. But it would require an 8 string.
I use my 8 strings to write stuff all the time, and I would be flattered to be called "technical" but I doubt if my chops/compositions are up to the title! There's a lot of stuff The Cure used to write where the melody was on a piccolo bass or a regular bass, and for that 8s are perfect. And anytime you want to translate a piece from piano the 8 comes in really handy.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Well, feel free to hijack my thread and "open it up" because you don't quite get where I was coming from.

Oh well, It was probably a waste of time anyway.

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, and I apologise. Let me try to address why I suspect you're not seeing certain usages of eight-strings.

There is really only one type of music where djenting is paramount. That population is served with seven- and eight-string guitars, and by baritone guitars. Few other genres value lowness for lowness' sake.

Since those players from other styles aren't just looking for low notes, they are well served by the standard six-string guitar. If they play in a style which uses a bass instrument, then they don't have to cover that range.

In those styles, though, there are those who get the idea of doing something beyond the norm. They might decide to incorporate a bassline along with melody work. Because they are willing to experiment, they'll get a guitar with more strings, and will put in the time to do more than is possible on a six-string guitar. *BAM!* Suddenly, their playing is technical, and they are outside your definition.

Anyone who is drawn to the eight-string is someone who either wants to follow in the footsteps of established djentlement, or is looking to break out of the boundaries of normal technique and styles. Even if someone combines the various bass and guitar parts of salsa or funk, it suddenly is technical.

I did give a few examples of how I use an eight-string which almost fit your narrow category... but an extended cittern tuning is experimental, obviously, as is using an eBow.

For what it's worth, I do use a couple of different acoustic guitars, one of which has a low note of F1 and a high note of E4. I use the heck out of its range for both chords and melody (not jazz, but traditional and acoustic music), and have been looking for an acoustic with one more string to get a range of F1 to B4.

...I can think of a lot more Technical and/or Metal music played in those low tunings then I can think of Country or Bluegrass.

THAT'S what I was getting at.

Hmm.

I'd be hard pressed to think of much piano music which makes use of every note in one song. However, if one is going to different sections of the instrument to create variation and interest, I don't see why one wouldn't be able to use all eight strings, even if one is just playing chords. Even Hendrix made amazing use of broken chords in his playing... whoops! Does that fall into the definition of "technical?" If not, then there are rock players using this kind of playing on 6-, 7- and eight strings. If so, then it's interesting to see even 40-year old recordings falling under the newly created category of "technical."

What will be interesting is to see what happens with the new Taylor acoustic baritone guitar. Baritone acoustics have been creeping onto the market for the past few years from high-end luthiers, and Taylor made a baritone a while back for Dave Matthews. Dan Crary has also been using a longer scale acoustic for a while. With a commercial production model available, I suspect acoustic guitar based musics will start to show more experimentation in terms of range, and eventually seven- and eight-string acoustics will be more common.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
I don't play an 8 string per se, at least I don't own one but I've played them before, but I do play 7 strings all the time and love to play post rock on it, and I think an 8 string would make an excellent post rock instrument

dude. same here. i started playing post rock on baritones and then switched to sevens. NOW i want a baritone 7 string. and all will be right in the world.

post rock on an 8 would be amazing though. so much range. so many textures.

')