Anyone want to buy a guitar shop/company, including in-progress guitars? (Wisconsin)

• Thread starter spudmunkey
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spudmunkey

Reaction score

"My dad left me his guitar company, San Graal Guitars - not sure how to continue operating it without experience. No remaining employees"

"In late 2022 my Dad passed away rather quickly after a battle with cancer. The guitar manufacturer that my dad had been engineering/designing/building for the last 15+ years was subsequently passed to my brother and I. I've always helped my dad growing up build sites for the company, clean up the shop... the un-skilled tasks that needed to be done but it hasn't given me the knowledge needed to continue operating after he is gone.

The shop has close to 120 nearly finished guitars. The guitars are well received by guitarists - my dad was a very good engineer and designer."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I've always helped my dad growing up build sites for the company, clean up the shop... the un-skilled tasks that needed to be done but it hasn't given me the knowledge needed to continue operating after he is gone.
Translation: I'm dumb and lazy, buy my dad's shit.

Harsh, sorry.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Translation: I'm dumb and lazy,
We are always so negative here and quick to pile on, but I have to agree 😅
Reading the comments in that thread, OP says:
Yes, there's so much that is nearly ready to go. The only part missing is a luthier - I am able to manage all business aspects.
And he apparently lives in Seoul.

I can't see why any luthier/builder would want to work for a no-name guitar shop for a doofus living in a foreign country who handles the "business aspects." Sounds incredibly un-lucrative for a profession that is already not a high paying field, unless you own the business.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
OK, so I originally assumed he was looking to sell everything and wash his hands of it. That I get, and can totally sympathize.

I didn't see his other comments that he was considering still heading up the company that someone else operated. I totally missed that:
"Yes, there's so much that is nearly ready to go. The only part missing is a luthier - I am able to manage all business aspects."

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Jeez, the hate. 🤷‍♀️

Kid has no intrest in the family business, but helps out when he can but has other dreams/goals. Moves away, and then the company is dropped in his lap when dad dies, and doesn't want to take it on.

Am I missing something that deserves vitriol?

My parents raised emu. I have no desire for livestock farming, but I've helped them with things when I lived there, until moved away. If they were still in that business and they passed away, I'd be selling the business, too.
On top of that I don't see anything about them knowing how to build guitars. Sounds like he just helped with some stuff that didn't involve the actual instruments.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
On top of that I don't see anything about them knowing how to build guitars. Sounds like he just helped with some stuff that didn't involve the actual instruments.
Actually, I just edited my post because I hadn't read the comments. I didn't realize he was actually still considering wanting someone else to operate it, but he'd still run it from S. Korea.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I don't think many people in Seoul are willing to give up the irons in their fire there. That's pretty understandable if he wanted to sell, but it's a pretty risky idea to satellite manage as a total virgin in the field. I thought he was on the business end of his dad's shop, or at least working there somehow already. I'd just sell it if I were him.

')